Voodoo and Witchcraft do they really work?

@shivamani10 (11189)
Hyderabad, India
While browsing the internet i happened to come across these two terms. I really wondered at the elaborate description given on these two terms. How it is practised, who will practice and who will teach and who is eligible to learn, methods and practices etc...I really embarrassed to go through the entire material. I really wondered as to how the dust collected from footprints of a person, nails collected of a particular person can be used to make him a lunatic, an immobile and aimless wanderer? It is totally disturbing to know such even in these Hitech days people are having beliefs in such matters and the social media is providing ample space for posting on such practices.
• Rochester, New York
A lot of what you see on tv about witchcraft is very exaggerated. Spells and rituals are just a small part of it while prayer is another small part. As a Pagan, I have numerous Gods that I worship, both male and female. I don't believe in the devil, who in my opinion doesn't exist. Nature is a huge part of our religion as @celticeagle mentioned.
@sallypup (28459)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@lisasteinmetz: Wiccanism is as feared as the Muslim religion. If I were to admit my leanings to many of the folks in my town, many of them would not walk near me. And I am more spiritual and respectful of life than many of them in their pews, especially when it comes to fur persons. Happy Solstice to you and yours.
@shivamani10 (11189)
• Hyderabad, India
Male and female Gods? I never heard of such dieties..will u please name a few...?
• Rochester, New York
@shivamani10 There were many Gods and Goddesses around long before the Christian God swept through. I lean more towards the Greek and Norse Gods. Greek Male : Zeus, Ares, Eros ~ Greek Female: Aphrodite, Athena, Artamis Norse Male : Odin, Thor, Loki ~ Norse Female: Freya, Frigg, Sif, Hel
As with a lot of things the media has made these both out to be a lot more than they are. Voodoo is actually known by another name. It is real only if you believe in it. And witchcraft has had a lot of bad vibe to it. It is basically a religion with a female deity. They celebrate the earth which I actually agree with. Harvest festivals and such. They believe in earth and the four elements. It isn't really spells and all that.
@shivamani10 (11189)
• Hyderabad, India
I never knew that witchcraft is a religion.? Who is the female goddess they worship?
@pumpkinjam (5801)
Anyone who wishes to do so can learn and practice witchcraft. Spells work, to out it simply and as I believe, in much the same way as prayers. It has much to do with belief. I don't want to compare it to placebo effect but it some believe it is that it works because you believe it works. There is nothing worrying or scary about Pagan faiths. I've always found it odd that, to use an example of my own which I think sums it up, the basis of most Pagan faiths is 'harm none' yet we are condemned as devil worshippers (even though most don't believe in a devil) by religions where 'thou shalt not kill' barely makes it to the top 10!
I have seen documentaries about Voodoo and I am scared about what I saw. I believe that this practice is real and very dangerous.
True Voodoo practice is not dangerous, though it is real. The concept of a 'Voodoo doll' was originally to heal, not harm (that was a Christian spin on it to convert people).
@pumpkinjam You are right, it was later used for evil purpose but it started as a healing practice.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
Actually @LadyDuck, Voodoo (or Voudon, as we often write it) is a religion. Like Santeria, it's a mix of African culture and spiritual practices brought over by slaves, and the Christian religion of the save masters. Most people who practice Voudon are very guarded, and will even avoid sharing with other Pagans. But when I was pregnant years ago, the Wolf and I were fortunate enough to attend a Voudon ritual in which the Mamba was ridden by Papa Legba (whom you may remember from a story I once posted elsewhere.) Legba took a liking to my husband, and gave his hair a tug. It was a really powerful experience!
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I'm not sure if I believe in voodoo or not but from what I have seen about it, it can be pretty scary and just gives me the creeps.
@Rohvannyn (3117)
When I was Pagan, I used to believe in a small part of that. Voodoo and Voudun are totally separate from Witchcraft, and there are many types of witchcraft. Short answer? In most cases, the only benefits to witchcraft are mental and spiritual. Sometimes there seems to be healing benefit or perhaps a bit of weather control. But more of it is in the minds of the practitioners than anyone else. Note, I was various varieties of Witch for roughly ten years. Now I am Atheist and I don't believe in anything. I only accept what I find to be true and provable. Belief is an opinion based on emotion, not fact, so I try not to believe.
• Preston, England
many still believe in such things but I see them as mere superstition
@shivamani10 (11189)
• Hyderabad, India
Yes, You are quite right. One more point is that when there is something like 'good', there will be an opposite. As per that logic, we should accept that there is 'bad' element also. When there is God there is an Evil also. One more interesting thing is why there are male God and Female Goddess? Why the term 'God' is having gender classification?