Okay, now I agree that Christmas is close

My Christmas desktop
@Asylum (48278)
Manchester, England
Every year the build up to Christmas seems to start a little earlier, with this year certainly being no exception. I even saw Christmas items displayed alongside Halloween items in a shop window display during late October. I know many people who consider the timing to be as ridiculous as I do, yet somehow they always seem to get involved from the onset. As usual I have paid very little attention to Christmas so far, but now it is time to accept the approaching season. With 2 weeks to go there is plenty of time left, so it is early enough for me. As a start I have decorated my computer desktop. This is something that I do every year, along with repeating the scenario for Easter as well. All this amounts to is changing the wallpaper and the icons, but I like the overall result. Of course it is also time for a Christmas avatar, which is also due to begin today.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I suppose I should get rid of my Autumn leaves wallpaper and go for something more Christmas-y myself. I like your wallpaper. I must search around for something. Have to get that tree up this weekend!
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
Oh no, there will not be a tree in this house. This is something that I never bother with.
• Midland, Michigan
@Asylum Ahh, but you did bother with the avatar now didn't you, and a cute one that is.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
@MarshaMusselman The avatar is usually the first thing on the agenda for me whenever the season arrives.
I wouldn't like to see a Christmas scene whenever I open my laptop. At least you do it only for a short time and not for three months. A member from the Philippines wrote in a post that they celebrate Christmas for a quarter of a year! Can you imagine. Only the idea gives me the creeps.
I have also read from a member from the Philippines, I would be sick to see Christmas decorations for a quarter of a year.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck We seem to be getting closer to that syndrome every year here in Europe as well.
@garymarsh6 (14263)
I hate the build up to Christmas. It is so false and peoples expectations are so high and in reality it is not quite the same these days. I for one will be glad when it is all over and done with. Christmas stuff starts to appear in the shops just after August bank holiday which I think is ridiculous and I hate to hear Christmas songs in the shops from the end of November. Bah bum hug!
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
It has long been said that Christmas seems earlier every year, but it is still getting worse in that respect. I saw a shop with Christmas and Halloween stock in the same window in October. Despite people grumbling about it, they still join in the rush so the same will continue each year.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm making my little Christmas Trees, but other than that, I'm just kind of drifting into Christmas.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
That is definitely the best way instead of rushing around as most people tend to do.
I was just looking at some wallpaper on an old site I hadn't been on in ages. I didn't find anything I wanted to use. So much to choose from. I like the Currier and Ives look of Christmas scenes. With people and kids milling about.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
I have an excellent Victorian village scene, but sadly the wallpaper is 800 X 600 pixels and I now have a widescreen monitor.
@sishy7 (27631)
It's wonderful that you still keep this up 2 years later...
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
I have done this for many years now.
• Midland, Michigan
I forgot all about this post, Sishy until you liked my comment. I've now changed my avatar which I'm sure I didn't even remember last year. If I get bored before Christmas this year I may go looking for other options, but for now I'm reusing the one Barry helped me with here.
@sishy7 (27631)
@MarshaMusselman oh, that's such a cute jolly snowman... I love it!
• Midland, Michigan
I've never changed the wallpaper to fit the season, but that looks like a pretty one. Maybe I'll look around and see if I like anything available. I used to get my shopping done before Thanksgiving, and I kept my eyes open for deals all year through. Been thinking of putting up the smaller tree we purchased last year, but I've not gotten that far yet. I used to put blinking lights on my front picture window, but I just washed the window recently and tore down all the scotch tape that held the lights up there. Now that we have a nice tree again, I don't have enough lights for both the tree and window. I like Anja's @Rollo1 avatar she has now, that one is cute.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
I never bother with a tree, just stick to the computer display festivity. As for Anja's avatar, yes I agree. It is quite different and festive.
• Midland, Michigan
@Asylum Hmm, just found an animated avatar, but it's not animated on the pages, just on my profile. Maybe I should try another, or there's some other reason perchance?
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
@MarshaMusselman I know exactly what the problem is. An animation will always display on the profile page, but in order to animate in the discussion and comments it has to be within 60 X 60 pixels. You cannot reduce the size of an animated avatar with a standard image editing program because it contains a set of images that display in rotation, so it would end up as a static image. You can either look online to see if any sites will reduce the file, or you can upload it and I will download it and resize it for you.
I like your Christmas wallpaper and also your avatar, I have also changed the wallpaper and the avatar, just for the month of December.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
I usually restrict it to about 2 weeks, but always enjoy doing so each year.
@Asylum I do not remember when I changed the avatar, I changed the wallpaper yesterday.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck I assume you mean the desktop wallpaper, which is a little easier to change than the house wallpaper.
@Missmwngi (10637)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Ooh yes it is close and before we realize it will be new year already
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
Very true and I am still trying to decide whether I should use a New Year avatar for the occasion.
@Missmwngi (10637)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Asylum Mmmh you can have it up when new year comes
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
@Missmwngi I do have a couple in mind, but have several weeks to decide anyway.
My computer already is decorated with it's Christmas wallpaper. Wish the rest of my tasks were so easily done. I'm starting to feel the pressure of the holiday "must dos"
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
The one problem that I encountered was that the desktop icon for the Control Panel cannot be changed. I know that I have done this on all previous versions of Windows, but somehow Windows 10 will not allow it.
• Midland, Michigan
@Asylum My husband has ten and has changed his wallpaper several times already. He doesn't have christmas scenes on it, but yet...
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
@MarshaMusselman Mine changes for most seasons and Easter is another occasion that I always amend it.
@shellyjaneo (1091)
I never get involved early I don't go crazy at christmas though I don't have much to do this year as we are doing secret santa in my family to save some money I only have 1 more present for the kiddies to buy and 1 for my secret santa x
@Asylum Oh I am sure that happens, they buy something and then it is half the price a few weeks later. I don't spend a lot though so I shouldn't have to worry to much x
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
@shellyjaneo It must be annoying to buy something in October and realise in December that the recipient would really like something different.
With all the Christmas parties that started in offices , schools and amongst group of friends , i can truly say that Christmas time has come .
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
We are within two weeks now, so it is time to accept that Christmas season is here.
@Asylum Indeed and so the malls are always jampacked with shoppers.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
@SIMPLYD Oh yes, I certainly noticed that this afternoon in Manchester city centre.
@sallypup (27503)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I need to get going on buying a cut Christmas tree. I really must!
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
This is something that I never bother with. It hardly seems worth the effort for such a short time.
Not in a very Christmassy mood this year.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
Does that mean that you are in Grinch mode this year?
@marlina are you okay.I do not like to see you this way.
I do love your Christmas avatar, so festive. I am in full holiday mode.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
I can never resist changing the avatar to suit the occasion.
@HazySue (21838)
@Asylum Christmas seems to come quicker every year. The harder I try to get organized for it the less organized I am. I love your avatar.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
The early presentation by the stores causes many people to begin early and with no urgency. This often backfires because eventually Christmas is approaching and it becomes time to panic.
@Traceyjayne (1113)
I hope you enjoy Christmas when it finally arrives
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
I always enjoy Christmas, but hate the early craze that starts so soon every year.
I see that you got very Christmasy. But you look overweight so I´m not going to worry about that apricot jam just yet
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
Drat, I was hoping that you would not notice. It is the outfit that gives that impression because it is heavily padded to protect me from the cold at the North Pole, honest.
We are doing our Christmas early, so it is nearly here, come Monday we will be having a feast.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
Will that last until New Year?
@salonga (27964)
I've seen many Christmas Avatars now and I wonder how I could make one for me.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
You could look online for Christmas animated gifs and there should be a few available for download. You would also need to ensure that the animations were not copyright protected, plus they need top be reduced in size to 60 X 60 pixels in order to display properly on Mylot. Creating your own would require a lot of practice and patience, although producing some animated text would be reasonably easy with the right software.