Have You Tried Vegemite?

Perth, Australia
If I wasn't an Aussie, I'm not sure that I would even like it. The majority of Australians grew up eating this black crud so we are just used to it. I do like it but only a little bit. I don't put thick layers of it on my bread / toast. I got my friend in Texas to try it and he wasn't very fond of it lol and soon I am going to get my friend from Germany to try it. Muhahaha! Has anyone from another country tried Vegemite?
No I have never heard of it. Sounds interesting though. I wonder what's the ingredients? I mostly put either butter, peanut butter or jelly on my toast or sometimes cinnamon and, sugar.
@VivaLaDani13 Honestly Jelly and Jam are essentially the same, just perhaps one is more sweet or more jello like than the other. Don't quote me on that as I don't often eat either on bread. @TRBRocks420 Wikipedia says that both Vegemtie (Australian) and Marmite (british) are similar, and yeast like. Marmite is decidedly more salty.
@VivaLaDani13 I will look it up and, Jelly is basically the same as jam made out of fruits. I love strawberry.
@ScribbledAdNauseum Thanks and, yeah I just looked it up too, sounds like it might be good.
I've never heard of it.
• Perth, Australia
Really? wow I'm surprised. Of thought it was just something everyone knew about Australia whether you were from there or not.
@VivaLaDani13 I've learned a lot of things about your country since I started blogging, but that wasn't one of them.
• Perth, Australia
@just4him There was probably a lot your learned that I don't even know lol Anything interesting about us Aussie?
@Daljinder (21147)
No I haven't and I don't think I want to. I will read the ingredients first before trying it.
• Perth, Australia
@Daljinder If you ever do, just a hint, don't have too much! It's REALLY gross then.
• Perth, Australia
@Daljinder I've been asked before what it tastes like and I can never answer. I have nothing to compare it to. It's a hard taste to describe.
@Daljinder (21147)
@VivaLaDani13 Dayum! I searched yesterday online and found that it can be bought here on Amazon. It costs almost $ 10
That's honestly one of the things we sell in our British section at work but I thought it was an Australian thing so it confused me. I have not tried it but I thought about doing so. It's just too expensive to buy a whole jar of something I won't like though.
• Perth, Australia
Yeah I know. Well...not that I know what you would like but there's probably a chance you wont anyway. It's seriously an odd taste and like I said, I grew up with it and pretty much used to it but at the same time, I can understand why people do not like it.
@VivaLaDani13 I read below that you heard vegemite and marmite were very similar. According to wikipedia, marmite is saltier than vegemite. Both are products of yeast. We tend to have more of a sweet tooth over this side of the world. I am trying to think of something that I grew up eating that is more of an American thing that may not be to everyone's taste. I can't think of anything right now, but I think a lot of people around the world have the impression that we Americans eat to much and too many sweets at that.
• Perth, Australia
@ScribbledAdNauseum When you think of a food can you please tell me? I'm very curious.
@rocky1980 (548)
• Chandigarh, India
No I haven't. It sounds interesting to me. What exactly is vegemite?
@rocky1980 It is a yeast like product. I've never had it myself but I've always wanted to try the Marmite, perhaps I should give both a go.
• Chandigarh, India
@ScribbledAdNauseum alright I got it now, I have researched a little bit about it, I understand what it is. I'll also give a try. I have to see whether I can find it in local stores or not. I don't think in India we can find it easily.
@rocky1980 We have it here in the States but since it was imported it's very expensive. I would try some specialty shops if you have any, or do you not amazon for India? You could try there.
@veganbliss (3903)
• Adelaide, Australia
We all grew up on the stuff. Most of us are enormously proud of it as it's a product we make, but Kraft is a US company & has owned us for years! D!ck Smith makes an Australian version, but it's better to buy Aussiemite... the two are locked in a legal battle for naming rights. I prefer Marmite, as it's a little milder, but haven't touched anything in that category for the last 15 to 20 years at least. We're much better off without salt! But the yeast is quite good for us! It reminds me of the mixture of boot polish & saw dust the Germans lived on during the war. Most of us are into 100% certified organic nut spreads, but as I'm fruitarian, I've no need for such products anymore.
• Perth, Australia
That is fair enough. :) I haven't tried marmite before. I think I saw it on a TV show once and it looked a bit yuck but then again, so does Vegemite.
• Perth, Australia
@veganbliss Yuuuck lol Are you serious about the Halal thing?
• Adelaide, Australia
@VivaLaDani13 Aaahh! Sounds like you need to get on board some of our highly paid local forums! It was big news back in May 2015.
@waac00 (63)
• Berlin, Germany
I've always been curious how Vegemite tastes like. I have a friend in Australia and she told me about it. Sadly we don't have it here. I'm curious if your German friend gonna like it :P
Perhaps if her German friend doesn't like it they can send it to you?
@waac00 (63)
• Berlin, Germany
• Perth, Australia
HAHA hilarious!
Never heard of it, but i am a foodie and would love to try
• Perth, Australia
@thesupersingh If you ever try it, I would like to know your opinion!
We've found most people from overseas don't like it much but some of them plaster it on too thickly.
• Perth, Australia
Yeah that is often the mistake that they do. Not that putting it on thin would make them like it but having it so thick really doesn't help.
@Mike197602 (13367)
• Worcester, England
if its like marmite then yes i've tried it and love it.
• Perth, Australia
Well not totally sure if it's similar. Just something that I read.
• Mumbai, India
never tried this, but would love to try. I always love to have some thing new.
• Perth, Australia
Hopefully you can try it one day but not sure that you would like it.
• Mumbai, India
@VivaLaDani13 Lets see what happens.