Who Is Elizabeth Blackwell?

You might be surprised to learn who this woman was, because of something that she accomplished way back in 1849. Have you ever heard of New York's Geneva Medical College? Well in 1849, Elizabeth Blackwell graduated from that college, with the highest grades in her class, becoming the FIRST WOMAN to be awarded a degree in medicine. In other words, she became the first female doctor, at least in the U.S. I wonder if there were other female doctors before her perhaps in other countries? Does anyone know the answer to that question?
I have heard of her before and, she sounds like a amazing woman. I can think of one, that did some awesome things, but I can't recall her name. I wrote a post about her awhile back.
Anytime a woman becomes the first to do something newsworthy, I appreciate knowing about it. Women in some countries are sometimes not even thought worthy enough to be educated. What a waste of a good mind in many cases.
@IreneVincent The woman I am thinking of took pictures of the brutality, that a King was inflicting on people, who he made to be his slaves, he would kill their family's to make them work or sometimes even cut off their hands and, feet, the Father alerted her about it and, brought her the hands and, feet, she then sent the photos to America and, a stop was finally put to it.
@fishtiger58 (30317)
• Momence, Illinois
I haven't a clue, never heard of her either.
I like little known facts. She must have been very courageous to have become the first female doctor. It opened the way for many other women to become doctors.
@fishtiger58 (30317)
• Momence, Illinois
@IreneVincent Yes she was brave, and probably got a lot of grief while trying to achieve her goals.
It must have been pretty difficult for her to be accepted by the male students.