Time for Some "Sketti 'n Meatballs"

@Raelove (17602)
Saco, Maine
Yesterday seemed to be a good day for it, so I thawed some ground beef out, made it into meatballs, and submerged them in sauce in my slow cooker to simmer slowly overnight. I'll have some today and then most likely freeze the rest for when my sister comes to visit next month. It's one of our favorite meals, and the homemade kind is always so much better. My sauce is simple: tomato sauce and paste thinned with water, garlic, onions, and a few herbs such as oregano and basil, with salt and pepper as needed. While some recipes call for browning the meatballs before adding them to the sauce, I just add them raw and let them cook in the sauce. The meatballs themselves aren't anything fancy: just more garlic and onions, an egg, breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper. This place is smelling like an Italian restaurant right now. It's only 7 a.m., and I already can't wait till lunch-time! (The photo is not mine, but one I found online that is "labeled for reuse.")
Make sure you don't eat the whole thing!
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
I won't. Will have some then freeze the rest. My sister might be coming to visit in January, so that will be my "welcome" meal for her. She loves it, too.
This is also our favorites.I love the meatball left over.Make great sub and melted cheese etc. I think you get the feelings.
I love those meatballs and melted cheese subs.
Its nice to be able to put part of a favorite meal away to save time on another day. Enjoy.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
Yes. And that is one thing that freezes well, too. Then, when I want it another time, I just empty it frozen into a small saucepan and heat it slowly till it's ready. No muss, no fuss.
I love meatballs but they are a bit messy to make. It will be nice to share them with your sister.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
They can be, which is why I make a lot at one time so I can freeze them and not have to do it again anytime soon. At the rate I do it, I make them about twice a year and almost always have some to thaw out. I've bought store meatballs, and they're not bad. But they're not nearly as good as homemade.
@Raelove I'm sure they would be cheaper to make from scratch too if a bit messy.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv With the price of ground beef right now, there really aren't any savings once you factor in all the other ingredients: bread crumbs, onion, garlic, eggs, etc. A bag of store-bought meatballs is around $5, and a pound of ground beef alone is close to that. The benefit clearly is in the quality and what goes into them, and how GOOD they are as compared to their imposters.
We, the Italians, eat the meatballs and the spaghetti, but never the two things together.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
The way I see it is, eat them separately or together: they all end up in the same place! So I like to save myself a little time and combine them!
@Raelove This is something my grandfather used to say, but all the other members of the family loves to feel the different taste of food. Italians do not mix spaghetti with meat, this is a kind of pasta that we only eat combined with plain sauce, oil garlic and hot pepper or clams and spicy oil.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck I love just plain pasta, too, with oil, butter, salt and pepper. I could live on that.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Spaghetti is one of my favorite foods and my brother's is to die for. He cooks the sauce for about half a day and it's just so good.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
So do I. The sauce with the meatballs in it has been cooking for almost 10 hours in the crockpot. So it's ready. I love how it smells.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Raelove So do I. My brother made some Tuesday morning and I watched it all day for him while he worked. We have had spaghetti for two nights...yum!
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
@simone10 Can't ever have it too often in my book.
I used to order spaghetti every time my family dined out. For some bizarre reason, it made my parents angry.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
LOL. They were probably thinking you should have ordered something you would normally not get at home. I've only had restaurant pasta and meatballs once where I actually liked it. Otherwise, I much prefer my own.
@Raelove They wanted me to order steak. I wanted to order what I enjoyed eating.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
@ElizabethWallace I like steak, too, but, well, spaghetti and meatballs trumps that for me every time. I tend to not like restaurant steak very much, for some reason.
Being married to a 1/2 Italian can you believe I can't stand Italian food - not even the smell of it.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
I can believe it. I don't make this often, but when I do, I really enjoy it.
No matter, that picture is making me hungry for 'sketti and meatballs.' Enjoy when it's ready to eat.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. I did. I had a bit of it with some leftover pasta from yesterday, and it was great.
@sueznewz2 (10139)
• Alicante, Spain
sounds nice.... and I love it when I can cook enough to freeze...
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
Yes. This makes way too big a batch for me for one meal, so it's perfect for freezing for later.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
One of my favorite meals. I will have to make that soon. I prefer meatballs over just meat sauce. So does my family.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
Same here. I, too, prefer meatballs over meat sauce.
You will have to save me a plate as I'm about to head to bed and can't make it for lunch. I'll be there around 6 pm if that is okay with you? haha. I like meatballs but prefer just to ground the chuck (meat) up. I use store bought sauce and add garlic, onion, green pepper sometimes fresh and sometimes not. I prefer the rotini type noodles whereas everyone else in my family prefers the spaghetti noodles.
@Raelove (17602)
• Saco, Maine
Let's put it this way: there isn't a pasta I don't like, except maybe for the whole-wheat, which I can take or leave. I've had meat sauce, but I much prefer meatballs, for some reason. Makes it more interesting? That sounds good. Sure. 6 p.m. is fine. But don't blame me if there's none left by the time you get here!
Looks like I gotta go shoppin again, I'm havin tomato soup with cheese but I've run outta pasta
@marijuana (576)
• Tel Aviv, Israel
the picture makes me craving. I think I should be making some spaghetti soon too :)