Is Liking Without Reading OK For HONOURABLE Members?

Liking
Uzbekistan
I hope you've noticed that I typed the word HONOURABLE with capital letters. I'm not talking about the members who click the Like button without having the foggiest idea what the post is about. They Like five posts and hope to lure a grateful member to their sites where they'll do the same for them. More often than not they score an own goal because they're found out as plagiarists. No, I'm talking about honourable, honest members. I've discussed this recently with someone and would like to know your opinion. Imagine you come home from work and are a bit tired. Too tired to compose a post but not too tired to check some. Your notifications show you that some of your friends/followees have written one or more posts. You know that they write well and that also these posts will be good. If you're honest with yourself, you don't feel like reading or even skimming them. Sometimes one simply isn't in the mood. Yet, you want to do your friends a favour and put a cent in their coffers. Of course, you can't leave a comment - you don't write generic nonsense - because you don't know what the post is about. But a cent is a cent and 'Many a mickle makes a muckle' (a Scottish saying according to my dictionary). Confess, do you do it?
@PhredWreck (6051)
Nope, I don't do it. I read everything before I give it a like. There is no one here that I will 'like' their discussion...or response...or comment...without first reading it.
how much is a like?
@pgntwo (22483)
• Carthage, Tunisia
@hereandthere A big duck-egg, I think: zero.
@hereandthere What? How much is a response? How much is a comment? No one can answer that for you.
Since we are being honest here ( and I hope I'm always honest), NO I have never done that. What I do is bookmark posts I haven't had time (or the inclination) to read and come back to them later.
sometimes i like because that's my initial reaction after i've read it, but might comment much much later
@pgntwo (22483)
• Carthage, Tunisia
@hereandthere Ditto here, like now, possibly respond or comment later. I tend to leave the notification in my list as an aide-memoire also.
@pgntwo (22483)
• Carthage, Tunisia
@hereandthere Another really useful tip, thank you!
NO, I do not do this. If I have no time or I am too tired to read a post, I do not like and I do not leave a nonsense comment.
@ataboy (755)
No you don't, Anna, and many of us appreciate that too! At least I do! Thx!
@ataboy Thank you. I am glad that some of you notice that I always read before leaving a comment.
@ataboy (755)
It speaks volumes about you and those that are like you in that manner, @LadyDuck. It's a simple matter of respect, competency and as the title suggests, honor towards others opinions. I'm sure a lot of people notice, but they may not have read what you or I said here, ironically, so they don't even know what we're speaking about right now!
I often like without commenting. My reasons for not commenting range from - I can't think of something to say. So many other commenters already said something very similar to what I might say. I am very tired and just can't type anything. But, I do read the post first. I never feel badly when I don't think of something to say.
• Uzbekistan
I don't, either. Better nothing than a silly comment one should be ashamed of.
• Midland, Michigan
I've told a few that I was going to say what so and so said, and I don't think that's a bad thing if not done all the time. I think you'd be good at thinking of something to say most times since you do mystery shops. You need to think of something to write on all of them.
@MarshaMusselman that's true. But those reports can be quite repetitive too! I don't think I would like to be an editor for a mystery shopping company and have to read 500 reports saying the Sales Associate greeted me with smile ........
I don't "like" just to like for the heck of it. I will take the time to read if I at least got to that page but I may or may not comment - or I may just come back to comment later.
I read before I like and comment. I guess I am an honourable member!
seems n obody likes and responds b ut me as that is the way I do things and no my responses are not generic
@ataboy (755)
I'd rather be odd than the norm, @Hatley! You sound like you're right on target! Have a great day, Patsie!
No I don't. If I am too tired to read I will wait for tomorrow. I almost never like and don't comment, just not something I do or encourage.
@pgntwo (22483)
• Carthage, Tunisia
Aye, many a mickle maks a muckle, and there's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip... I try to respond or comment, it seems a like really does not count for much, other than, as you point out, to attract others perchance to your posts... My Comment ratio is double my Response ratio, as my stats seem to show... so it seems I prefer commenting to responding. Weird.
• Uzbekistan
What's the difference between commenting and responding? I thought it was the same.
@pgntwo (22483)
• Carthage, Tunisia
@MALUSE An answer to a Post is a Response, and responding to a Response is called "Comment"ing... er, yeah.
• Uzbekistan
@pgntwo How odd. In essence, these two things are the same, aren't they?
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
No, I don't "like" without reading! Sometimes I have nothing to say on a post, but you can bet that if I "like" the post, then I have read it! That would be the worst kind of insult you could give to a friend! They deserve your full attention.... If you "like" their post, you should either put aside the lazy-man blues and do justice to their post or wait until you do feel like reading and responding to their post(s)!
I have never done that honestly. If I don't have the time to be here and make an effort then I don't come here at all.
@silvermist (20116)
@MALUSE I have never done this.I put a like only after reading the discussion.
@Angelee_27 (3473)
I read the post and if I don't have something of substance to add to it, but I did enjoy the read, then I will just like the post.
@Marcyaz (35606)
Being honest no I can't say I have ever done that. I will admit I might look at a post and not feel anything so what I do is just go out of it writing nothing.
@garymarsh6 (14430)
No if I am tired the last thing I want to do is computer work. So I do read posts. I may not always comment but I do read them and like them.
@Vivenda (588)
• Portsmouth, England
I have certainly "liked" posts without commenting if I don't feel I can add anything to the discussion. What I haven't done is "like" posts I don't like! And I always read posts before I "like" them.
@msiduri (5743)
Nope. Have never done that. It might be a goodwill gesture, but if I don't have time or inclination to read, I don't have like. Got a bad taste for that type of behavior at BB.
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
I always read the post before liking or commenting
@amnabas (10313)
• Karachi, Pakistan
No I like what I read andi comment on aposts whi h Ilike thatsmy criteria.
• Midland, Michigan
Never. In fact, I rarely just like any post even after reading it through. I made up my mind years ago on the other site, to always leave a comment. I believe that if you can think up something to say in a post, it shouldn't be that hard to think up something to say in a comment. Also, if what was written didn't prompt me to say something or wasn't a worthwhile post, then I rarely place a like on them either.
good I can likeread and comment and no it is not a genric comment I think a lot of people weasel out of responses as they just get lazy I do not take long to make a good comment and its always read first
@shellyjaneo (1091)
I don't do it if I haven't read any of the post but I will if I have just skim read the post quickly if I am not in the mood to read the whole thing, especially if it is a very long post and it is getting late x
P.S but as you said only of members I trust not anyone x