Wanting, Wanting from Me all the Time

Charities
@Marcyaz (35670)
These charities wanting money for this Country or those refugees what about my own Country. I figure my Country needs my support and I will give it to them not to some refugee or another country where who knows where the money will end up. I do feel bad for them but like I said we need to support our own Country. I am sick and tired of these types of emails. How do you feel about it and are you supporting your own Country or someone elses?
I'm afraid I just support the one charity - the Salvation Army. They get my donations, rather than giving a little bit each to several charities.
@Marcyaz (35670)
I have only good things to say about The Salvation Army as they do so many good things. When there bell ringers used to be in front of stores I always donated to them.
@Marcyaz I particularly like the work they do for the homeless.
@Marcyaz (35670)
@jaboUK .. They definitely do a lot of good. I knew a family down on their luck and their car was broke so I would take them to the Salvation army and they came out of there with bags of food and told me they would be helped with their utilities and even their rent which I never knew about before this. Salvation Army is a good charity.
I only donate to charities I know, especially ones that actually come to our church or something like St. Jude Children's Hospital.
@Marcyaz (35670)
Very good as a lot of charities are just scams, ones like St. Jude Children's Hospital are reputable and I would donate to them also.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
I agree, we need to care for our own before we help the rest of the world.
@Marcyaz (35670)
We do need to help our own people first and foremost before any other country.
I get them too. I support my country in any way I can. I give to the food drive and to some things like that. That is about all I can do. The Salvation Army does a lot here and I try to always give. Some actually broke into an office where several of their kettles were secured last week. Stoled about five of their kettles equal to about $1500. Makes me angry to hear of things like this. I hope they find who ever took them.
What a despicable thing to do!
@Marcyaz (35670)
How anyone can do something like breaking into the Salvation Army and stealing their kettles is beyond my understanding. That is just horrible and now some people will have no Christmas because of those thieves.
My favorite charity is the local Humane Society. And the Salvation Army too. We need to help the ones over here that seem to be ignored. Like the vets.
@Marcyaz (35670)
Those are all good charities to give to and the local pet societies can use all the donations they can receive.
I think we need support here at home before we give it to some other country. As charities go though, you can't always trust the ones for here at home either. There is so much that goes into charities and charity work, people think all of it is volunteer and non profit. It is not, even the non profit has to pay someone to keep things running smoothly.
@Marcyaz (35670)
they still need all the help they can receive at this time of the year.
I support two hospitals already in Canada. WE can't give to everybody who asks.
@Marcyaz (35670)
Good for you Marie supporting two hospitals in your country. I know I don't have enough money to give to every charity that ask for a donation.
ive been seeing similar to that lately, but mind you, some of those are definitely scam and just using fake charities. or fake children for them to donate.
@Marcyaz (35670)
I only donate to the charities I know are well established and will use what little money I give them for doing good things.
@moffittjc (43007)
• Gainesville, Florida
I generally try to donate to local causes that help people in our own communities. I know there are many people around the world who are suffering and in need of help, but we also have many in our local communities who are suffering and in need of help!
@Marcyaz (35670)
we do have lot of people in our own communities who need help and that is why I won't give to any organization overseas.
@moffittjc (43007)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marcyaz I think people around the world wrongly assume that because we are in the United States, there must not be any poor people and that we are all rich. There are just as many poor people in the US as there are in the rest of the world. I've seen inner city neighborhoods here in the US where the people are living in worse conditions than in most third-world countries. It's such a shame.
@Marcyaz (35670)
@moffittjc I have also seen some pretty bad slums in different areas of cities I have been in. I guess people in other countries think this is the place that will make them rich because they have heard our streets are lined with gold.
@suzzy3 (8362)
I give to the air ambulance, local charities and a disaster fund. I used to give to the red cross but they kept ringing me up or sending me letters asking for more.When we said no, they wanted us to set up a direct debit. only two pounds a month they said, no we have given enough so go away.
@Marcyaz (35670)
@Suzzy3, Sounds like you do a lot for your charities, no red cross for me either as they are way to pushy.
@suzzy3 (8362)
@Marcyaz Pushy is not the word. I have never come across anyone like that before.
@Marcyaz (35670)
@suzzy3 I would not put up with that either and they would know once i said something to them.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
It always infuriates me that vast sums of money are collected and sent overseas, plus our own government gives huge sums to other countries purely for the sake of looking caring. Meanwhile there is a need for such charity here and many people die from the cold each winter.
@Marcyaz (35670)
I couldn't have said that better myself our governments giving large sums of money to other countries when people in our own country could use the help, it has never made any sense to me.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@Marcyaz The governments care more about their international reputation as caring people than they do about the population.
@Marcyaz (35670)
@Asylum . It certainly seems that way and then our people suffer because of their reputations.
I know what you mean, around here they want everyone to help Juarez Mexico but I've decided that I'm helping the humane society.
@Marcyaz (35670)
Why help someone in another Country when you can help someone here instead. I am glad to hear you are supporting the humane society.
Thank you @Marcyaz at least I know that animals are the real victims of what humanity has and is doing so I do feel good about helping them if I can.
@Marcyaz (35670)
@rebelann Animals can always use any help they can get.
It is wise to give to only the causes you feel very strongly about, as there are so many.
@Marcyaz (35670)
It is because so many of them you don't know if they are scams or not @TiarasOceanView
We can each only do what we can do. I will give it some thought and decide where to donate and not feel guilty about what I can't donate. Aside from money I try to do some volunteering locally.
@Marcyaz (35670)
@paigea I used to volunteer but I am not able to do that anymore so when I can I will volunteer to call by phone but I do donate what I can even though I am on SS.
we just support for our people here.animal shelters,homeless,food bank etc. Money stays here.
@Marcyaz (35670)
Good to me that is how it should be, keep the money in the community.
I support local charities, I want to see where the money goes.
@Marcyaz (35670)
I agree as i will only give to charities in the States here where I am.
I barley have money to support my own country so no, but I feel bad for them too.
@Marcyaz (35670)
I don't see why we are always being asked to help this country or that country when our own people need the help.
I keep getting calls from every organization out there who thinks I have a money tree in my back yard. It's totally annoying. I don't have the wherewithall to give to anybody at the moment.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I tend not to give money to any charities, as I worked for a non-profit organization that was corrupt and whose leaders stole donations, grant money, etc. But I do vounteer my time. That way I know where it's going. I'd support Americans before others.
I will support the Va and Salvaation Army but not other countries we have enough poor people in our own country that need our help.