Pets Help to Relieve Stress

Riga, Latvia
Studies have been done that show that having a pet dog can help reduce stress in children. Just by petting the dog a child starts to calm down. After studying 643 children ages six and seven it was discovered that over an 18 month period children who has pet dogs suffered less from stress than children who had no pets. Simply said a dog helps in a child’s development and mental health. Having said that I always lived in apartments with my parents and they never wanted the trouble of having a dog. I grew up just fine because what helped me was that I developed a really great imagination and when I drew into my fantasy world it took me out of the real world and that relieved my stress. I think it is great if parents can keep dogs for their children but if they cannot then it is best to let the child’s imagination develop. I almost forgot I did have a dog. It was a red plastic dog with yellow wheels on a leash and it went everywhere with me. These studies are not totally conclusive and lots of questions still remain. It could be that children do just as well without a dog as long as they have siblings to help occupy their time. If a child is an only child dogs can help them begin conversations however a dog cannot respond back and cannot read them stories. I think it is wonderful if dogs can relieve children’s stress but I still think it is important to help develop a child’s imagination. Also it is not right to purchase a dog just for this purpose if the dog might be a burden on the owners. So it is best to take everything into consideration before hand and if the dog can become a loving member of the household then make it part of yours. Read more:
English News Lessons: Free 26-Page lesson plan / 2-page mini-lesson - Pet Dogs - Handouts, online activities, speed reading, dictation, mp3... current events.
@dodo19 (31998)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I do think that having a dog helps relax and such. I have had dogs and I found that it helps. But I can see how other animals and/or other activities may help just as much.
@Marcyaz (35751)
Friends can help also as well as dogs or cats.
@boiboing (12205)
• Northampton, England
That doesn't sound like the most rigorously designed study. The kids could be less stressed because they get more exercise or cats could be just as effective in reducing stress.
@Marcyaz (35751)
I agree that cats could be just as effective.
I agree because me playing with my dogs gets rid of everything.
I think dogs are wonderful too for older people, providing companionship and affection in a world that might be a bit lonely otherwise.
@Marcyaz (35751)
Very true a dog or cat even is some companionship for the seniors.
• Riga, Latvia
@JudyEv the only draw back with elderly people and dogs is that they have to take them for walks and if they cannot then it is a problem where as cats do their own thing and they just need to have the litter box changed.
@RasmaSandra That's true but if the dog has aged with the owner then the walks are often quite short and ensures that the human makes the effort to be a little bit active. Some dogs don't have enough sense to stay out from under people's feet either.
I have to agree, this study is not totally conclusive, not only dogs are good to release the stress.
• Riga, Latvia
@LadyDuck personally I think it should be all pets.
@whiteream (3539)
They have stress service dogs now.
@Marcyaz (35751)
I think if you are an introverted child any type of pet would be a blessing both as a pet and as a friend.
Cats are equally responsible for calming the worst fear, worst anxiety, and inducing the most reciprocative love !
• Riga, Latvia
@enlightenedpsych2 I know that my cat makes me laugh and calms me down at the moments I need it the most.
Dogs are a gift from the universe. Besides helping us reduce stress, they help us overcome fears and misconceptions. They give us hope and help us gain self-confidence and self-esteem.