Special holiday for my state

@kaka135 (14131)
Malaysia
Today is a special holiday for my state. Our state has won the Malaysia Cup (football) yesterday and thus the government declared today as a public holiday. As a stay-at-home mom, it doesn't really matter to me. I guess students and employees will be happy for getting a day off, but I heard that some employers might not be happy with it. I remember my country has declared this kind of special holiday once, when we have won the Thomas Cup in year 1992, and declared the next day as public holiday. I wonder when the country has won the World Cup or Olympics, that country will declare a public holiday. Have you ever had this kind of special and surprise holiday?
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
It must be frustrating to be granted a holiday yet unable to benefit from it. The first time that a holiday arrived after I had retired I felt deprived since I gained nothing.
@kaka135 (14131)
I am fine with it, as I don't enjoy all the public holidays for quite some time as well. I am already used to this. But, actually it does matter a bit, as my husband didn't work.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@kaka135 Oh, so you had someone at home to do the housework for you.
@kaka135 (14131)
@Asylum Yes, and someone to play with the children as well.
That is so nice of your government to give special honor for such win . We don't have that . Even if Manny Pacquiao , the famous Filipino boxer wins , no such holiday .
@kaka135 (14131)
It's quite nice, but I think it's a bit weird as well. It's not an International competition, but just a national competition, there must be a state that wins this every year, but I don't think the other states have declared it as a holiday before. Perhaps it's something special for our state this year.
@kaka135 Oh just a national competition . It's not declared as holiday when it happens here .
@kaka135 (14131)
@SIMPLYD Yes, that's why I think it's quite weird.
I'm happy for your country. No, we have our fixed holidays and no other ones are on the calendar. The US has won many Olympic titles and such, so we're used to seeing our sports heroes do well, but we don't get a special day because of it.
@kaka135 (14131)
Though I am happy for those who can enjoy one day off, actually I find it quite weird why it'd be declared for a holiday. Even US didn't declare holiday for winning Olympic.
Very occasionally we might have a special holiday but not too often.
@kaka135 (14131)
Usually what are the reasons for having such special holidays?
@kaka135 We always have one for the Melbourne Cup which is a big horse race. It would need to be a very big sporting win I think before we'd be given a holiday.
@salonga (27956)
So the students and employees are very happy for sure for additional holiday such as this! We don't have these kind of holidays in our country. Life goes on even if here were significant international titles won. Although, due recognition is being given to the people involved.
@kaka135 (14131)
That's why when our country is taking part in some International competition, many people wish they will win, not only because want to cheer for our country, but also hoping for a day off.
@salonga (27956)
@kaka135 hahaha, that is double happiness.
No, none of the Nations where I lived have ever declared a holiday because they won a football cup.
@kaka135 (14131)
When I heard the news, I was quite shocked as well, as it's only a football cup within my country itself. At first I thought it's an International competition such as Thomas Cup.
@kaka135 It's surprising, as I said I have never seen something similar in my country and in the other countries where I lived.
@scheng1 (24741)
This is something that Singapore never will learn from Malaysia. When Mr Lee Kuan Yew passed away, we did not get public holiday for it. Many of us were very disappointed. It is not everyday that a founding father of a country passes away, and we do expect a day of mourning to be declared as a public holiday. There is no way Singapore will declare a holiday over a championship in sports.
@kaka135 (14131)
Actually I think it's good that Singapore does it this way.
That's so nice to have a day off as such a surprise. In my country, our holiday is fixed and no more change. So actually we know when we will have days off work next year.
@kaka135 (14131)
We don't always have this kind of special holiday. I think I only encountered three times. Usually we have fixed holidays as well.
@moondebi (1208)
• Bangalore, India
We never have got such a holiday for any kind of achievement in the field of sports. However, we got something at the demise of some renowned personalities.
@kaka135 (14131)
I remember we had one day off because of that too when I was still in high school. Our first prime minister passed away.
we only declared some holiday if it hits the weekend, unfortunately not this year because of our president. they believe it lessens productivity.
@kaka135 (14131)
Yes, I heard that some employers do not like such special holidays as they couldn't plan ahead for that and they will reduce the productivity and might affect their business. But of course, employees will be happy for having a day off.
This never happens here, no special holidays have ever been called that I remember.
@kaka135 (14131)
I think this is the second time in my life I have encountered such special holiday.