Let's Make This Crystal Clear

@Raelove (17749)
Saco, Maine
Quite a few years ago, a series of books came out that were entitled "Blah blah blah For Dummies." There was a book "For Dummies" that dealt with all kinds of topics, from computers to car repair. An adjunct to that is that some people who write online, be it in a blog or a social media site, write as if everyone who's reading their posts understands what they're talking about. The reality is that, many, including myself, are often "Dummies" when it comes to certain topics, acronyms, or what have you. One of the most important rules I learned as a newspaper reporter was "Never leave the reader guessing." And never assume that, because you know what something means, or what an acronym stands for, readers will, too. So clarity is crucial. And on many social media sites that are frequented by a global audience, it's even more important to be clear about certain things that might not be commonplace in all areas. I find I read posts here, too, wherein I'm left wondering, "OK, and what exactly is he (or she) talking about?" Clarity ensures that readers will continue to the end of the post. Otherwise, if they have to wrack their brains trying to figure it out, they might not. And I'm sure that the goal here as far as generating responses and comments goes is to be as interesting as we possibly can be, which means also not leaving anything to guesswork.
• Uzbekistan
Two things annoy me repeatedly: 1) Members mentioning things they've explained in a former post. Each post must be a stand alone one. If I'm expected to check former ones, I leave. 2) Abbreviations for insiders. This is an international site. I don't have to know American (or whatever) abbreviations.
I'll bear this in mind even more so. It's commonsense really that each post should stand alone. I don't some of mine don't but need a prop from an earlier post.
I think that the second rule you mentioned(.And never assume that, because you know what something means, or what an acronym stands for, readers will, too. ) is a very important one. I think that you can tell a good journalist by the way they infuse all the needed info into a article. Clarity is important. I am sure going to try to remember this and make sure I make it a part of my posts going forward.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
Great. I wouldn't expect you, or anyone, to want to read my posts if they weren't clear. There are plenty of others that are, so wasting time on trying to decipher the meaning of one isn't fair to anyone else who took the time to write a decent one. It's OK to use a catchy title to get someone's interest. But then I feel like something's missing if I leave an important piece of information out. I love how life is just one long learning process!
@Raelove ....Me too! I think what it really boils down to is to proof read a post before posting it.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle That's it. And I love the "edit" function here that we can use anytime, even after a post has been published. So there is no excuse whatsoever for major typos either in the titles or the posts themselves. We can edit at any time.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
I do get a bit frustrated when people seem to assume that we know their entire back-history and can identify every member of their extended family.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
So do I. And I'll just move on to a post that makes more sense to me.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
@Raelove We are never under obligation to read, like or comment on stuff that doesn't make sense.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
@boiboing No, we are not. But to those who want to make this work and earn a few dollars, it behooves them not to create "Mystery Posts." Otherwise, they're just defeating their own purpose.
I try to make myself clear, like in the post I am getting ready to write not many will understand the joke, so I will explain it. As for the "dummie" books, I have looked up "math for dummies" many times while taking my classes..lol
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
So do I. As for the "Math For Dummies," I could sure use that one. It is NOT my strong suit.
@Raelove I hear you, I finally finished getting my associates degree in "Creative Writing" yet I had to take math. I tried the algebra path and was in tears more often than not, so thankfully they had another path I could take which was still hard, but at least doable.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
@Carmelanirel2 Wow, the same thing happened to me in college! I failed algebra, so took Statistics 101, and barely passed that, but I did. And that's all that mattered to me, as I was pursuing a BA in English.
I am glad it isn't just me, sometimes I can't respond because I have no idea what they just said.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
No, it's not just you.
Sometimes it's hard to know if outsiders will know certain terms or not. @MALUSE has a good point about each post needing to be stand-alone. I would do well to remember it.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
She's right. And if it is a continuation of a thought in another post, then we need to state that and briefly explain the original idea so others can pick up on it.
• Walnut Creek, California
Acronyms and esoteric terms can be my undoing. When people use them about finance or computers, I'm lost. When I use them when discussing stereos or guitars, I try to explain them.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. So many areas have what I call "expert-speak" that only those in the know understand. When we use acronyms, such as PTA, we have to spell out what that means, as someone in India or Viet Nam might not get that it's a school parent-teacher organization. And they shouldn't have know that for the writer's convenience!
No better timing for such a discussion. I just commented to someone that I was unable to understand what she was meaning. People write slang and they suppose that everybody understand.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
What began this discussion for me was seeing a post in which someone stated that he/she started a new "acronym." I didn't feel that I should have to ask what that meant, so I scanned to see if I'd get it from the context. But no. Even that was too obtuse. So, I moved on to greener, or more comprehensible, pastures.
Oh!I am doing my best.If I am not clear.Then let me know.Sometime I can get foggy.(kidding) You always been clear to me.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks, Alfredo.
You are so right about being clear. There are way too many posts here where I can't figure out what they are talking about and it is not because I do not understand English.
@Raelove (17749)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. In the case of other cultures, it is sometimes understandable. But those with a good command of English really should not assume we "get" what they're talking about. Acronyms are the worse for me. If I don't understand what an "xxxx" is, I will read more in the hopes that the context will clear it up. When that doesn't happen, I just don't continue to read.
In writing it is helpful to be clear and also concise in my mind. I do not like to write long winded anything. As long as it is understood by many people in all manner of places is my goal.