Emergency clothing repairs - how far would you go?

@boiboing (12527)
Northampton, England
I am inspired by reading a post by @MALUSE in which she says she's great at hemming and repairing clothes. I am not at all good at such things and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I am however, quite good at emergency repairs when I need them. I am generally inspired by a schoolmate's father who, when his hems came down at an important work conference, fixed them back in place with 'gaffer tape' (I think our US colleagues know that as 'duck tape' or 'duct tape'). I travel a lot for work and not surprisingly don't have mending equipment or rolls of 'Wonderweb' with me when hem emergencies strike. I have been known - on more than one occasion - to fix my skirt and trouser hems with staples. This works better with trousers than skirts as the rough ends can lead to ladders. Hence, bizarre as it might sound, it's better to staple your hems from the inside, not the outside of the garment. When I got married, I didn't have time to get my dress 'professionally altered' and the bodice was too loose for me. I spent most of the day with sticky pads of Velcro keeping the dress in place - one half of the pads on the inside of the dress, and the other half on my poor fleshy bits. Do you have any smart 'fix on the run' tips like these?
wow! I have heard of staples and tape fixes, but velcroing something to my person I have not.
@boiboing (12527)
• Northampton, England
They were sticky backed velcro pads - the type you might use to stick up exhibition posters.
@boiboing I figured, and while I am giggling, that seems to have worked, so must have been a good idea! lol
We always have a roll of gaffer tape handy. Had to smile at the thought of the velcro though.
@boiboing (12527)
• Northampton, England
Excellent to know that it's still 'gaffer' tape over in Aus.
Like @MALUSE I am good at hemming and repairing clothes, but it happened that I stapled my hems one morning that I had to attend a meeting and my new trousers were too long.
@boiboing (12527)
• Northampton, England
Fantastic. I'm relieved to read that.
I think I wouldn't stick velcro to my body! But I've done most others. I do keep needle and thread at work though, but rarely would I be able to find a moment to use it during the day, so really staples, tape it is!
I once shortened drapes with duct tape in emergency.
@boiboing (12527)
• Northampton, England
Yay! Good for you.
I grew up skiing and by the end of the season most people had duct tape somewhere on their gear!
@BellaDoc (713)
• San Diego, California
Wow - velcro! Fantastic idea.
@boiboing (12527)
• Northampton, England
No seriously it was terrible. It was the suggestion of an older, wiser (allegedly) colleague.
@BellaDoc (713)
• San Diego, California
@boingboing I hear you. But it was better than the dress falling off or gaping, right?
@boiboing (12527)
• Northampton, England
@BellaDoc Of course. I wasn't going to flash everybody.
@fishtiger58 (29386)
• Momence, Illinois
It's duct tape, use to fix the ducts in one's home. But it has a million other uses as any man will tell you. I can't fix a darn thing, but my husband is pretty handy and can even fix clothing on a sewing machine.
@boiboing (12527)
• Northampton, England
Yes but in the UK the same thing is gaffer tape. And you're right - it's very versatile stuff. My husband usually puts a roll in our holiday bags 'just in case'.
@fishtiger58 (29386)
• Momence, Illinois
@boiboing That's a great idea. I will have to start doing that as well.
@UncleJoe (7717)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
No, but at least I don't have to carry around a hammer and nails any more!
@boiboing (12527)
• Northampton, England
Was that for putting your wooden leg back on, Uncle Joe?
• Denmark
You should have added a photo of your wedding dress!
@boiboing (12527)
• Northampton, England
I'm a long way from home and I don't have any digital photos of that.