Lets talk about credit versus debit

Elberton, Georgia
I've been doing homework here at Mylot and saw some talk about credit cards. Well, I don't have a credit card because I know myself well enough to forget that what you buy on credit has to be paid by a certain time. If that time lapses, a crap load of charges befall you. I have a debit card and like it that way. I have to budget and things I need to buy on credit I do at Fingerhut. That is the only credit I have. So what is your story on credit use?
@OneOfMany (12423)
I have zero credit because I don't have credit cards. I have a debit card with a daily limit that prevents big purchases, but if I need to do that I just write a check. I like buying for things when I can afford it and not paying someone else to constantly borrow money. For example, I bought a car last week. I saved up for a while and finally could afford one and went for it. It isn't brand new, but it is nice despite the scratches and the dent. Credit has kind of ruined society.
• Elberton, Georgia
I admire you for saving for a car. I wish I could do it. I can't drive anymore due to seizures. I will get a big screen tv next. I get my big stuff from Fingerhut on credit and that's all. I can manage my budget. I can never save though. Wish I could.
@OneOfMany (12423)
@OreoBrownie I'm a saver by nature. I spend very little to live, and my father has called me a miser in the past. I just happen to like to see money saved up. But now that I've getting farther in life I want to spend a little more. I still save on instinct.
• Elberton, Georgia
I understand that. I have my own strategy to keep my budget on top.
I have a debit card. It serves me well. I know that if I had a credit card it would be too nice and I would over spend. And you have to pay so much more than what you actually spent. I have had some bad experience when I was younger. I had perfect credit. My third husband took my credit cards and charged them up. I was so upset. He bought a VCR, camera, and a car. Did me over good.
• Elberton, Georgia
They can sure get you into trouble. I've been in debt with them. Now companies keep trying to push their cards on me. I just throw them away.
@OreoBrownie ....Be sure you cut them up so crooks don't get them.
I have both credit and debit cards but prefer to use the debit one. I only use the credit card for big purchases and pay it right away.
• Elberton, Georgia
That's a good way to do if you can keep yourself in check. I know it would be too tempting.
You are best to stay away from credit cards especially store cards as their rates are even higher than other places. If you have the will power to have a card and not use it, that is the best way to go so you have it in emergencies. We got sucked into using the cards for everything when I was at home with the kids and we are still paying for things. We are hoping to get out of credit card debt in a few years and then we can do more with our own money instead of giving the banks all this interest.