DNA Ancestry?

@noni1959 (3941)
Ancestry.com has a special for $89 to analyze your saliva at more than 700,000 markers and find out exactly where your ethnicity began. According to one commercial on TV, a man who always thought he was German, found out he is Scottish with no German blood at all. It says it will search their network and find other family members. There are some databases in my maternal side that is wrong and I've told them many times. At first they told me to have the people who created the site fix them but later when I told them I will put it out there the false info they finally agreed to delete and update. I went back today and again they have one with my information in error (a great aunt had me with two boys and a girl, incorrect names, marriages, etc. Have you done the DNA and would you trust it?
My Bro has done it and, I suppose I trust it as much, as anything I don't know for a fact of, but they do send you pretty detailed results.
@noni1959 (3941)
I guess it's worth a shot. DNA should at least give some info for my correct linage. I know my great grandpa came from Bavaria but not real sure on my dad's side.
• Calgary, Alberta
Have you heard about the racist KKK leader who tried to have DNA test and he found out he is 25 percent black.
I have done it and had my children, husband, grandson and brother do it as well. Yes I trust it and it has resulted in my meeting some new relatives. It is the best $99 I ever spent, for $89 it is a bargain. Ancestry doesn't control the family trees that people put in, what they will do is match you by the DNA markers not the family trees. Totally different. After that you can take your results to a site like Gedmatch to find lots of other matches. I have members who have incorrect trees as well. Not everyone is careful where they get their information. I never trust anyone's research but my own. I am a genealogist and have a blog where I share some of my experiences.
@LoriAMoore (4667)
My brother did that and found out quite a bit.
@LCaldwell (253)
Oh and if you get it there is a free shipping code to use online. FREESHIPDNA
@LCaldwell (253)
I did it! My husband also did the test. Found out he had a half brother who was adopted out when he was born. He never knew about the brother either. Also found out my grandfather (my mom's dad) is not my grandfather. Her dad we found out is probably a man my grandfather I grew up with worked with. I am planning on doing the 23 and me test as well. We also uploaded our dna raw data to GEDMatch.com and a few medical sites that tell you what you carry. The 23 and Me also does the medical reports on your dna, but it cost more than Ancestry. It has helped me a great deal with our family trees. The ethnicity only shows your highest. I had to go through GEDMatch to get my percentage of American Indian dna. Also was told that some American Indian comes up as Asia. Overall though it was worth doing. I have connected with a lot of great people and found out a lot more history I hadn't been able to find and connect prior.
I have not done the DNA test, but I would not trust a research made by an online company.
This DNA analysis is very interesting. If it is free, I don't mind to analysis my DNA. If I have to pay so much, then I am not so interested in it. As even if I was found out that one of my ancestor was an emperor, it still means nothing to me.