All Hail

Image copyright NSW SES Sutherland Shire
By pgn
@pgntwo (21651)
Derry, Northern Ireland
I just read about a tornado that caused damage in the Kurnell neighbourhood of Sydney, Australia, recently. There were accounts of hailstones the size of grapefruit, a picture in the local press from NSW SES Sutherland Shire on Wednesday, attached gives you an idea of just how big these hailstones were! Hailstones where I live in Ireland sound and look like someone emptying buckets of white gravel over the roof of the house, an inconvenience rather than a threat to life or limb. Getting caught in a sudden shower of stinging, icy hailstones is no fun! Like ball-bearings on the ground, they make walking tricky and rapidly bring a pink glow to any exposed flesh that comes into contact with them. What fell in that Sydney suburb compares to the baseball-sized lumps of ice that had drivers on an interstate in Minnesota parking under the cross-bridges to avoid any further damage to their cars a few years back... Mother Nature can be a harsh mistress!
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
Hailstones of that size constitute more of an avalanche than a shower. Being hit by one of those would be lethal.
@pgntwo (21651)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Look at the damage in the video I have attached to @MALUSE's and @LadyDuck's comment below - you would not want to be out and about, or even in a car or attic flat, during that type of hailstorm.
Yes, those big balls can kill people and animals. Several cows were killed in Switzerland by the hail in the 2013.
@pgntwo (21651)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@LadyDuck Projectiles that size being hurled to the ground are bound to cause some degree of collateral damage!
Two and a half years ago we had a 20-minute hailstorm in our region which devastated many houses and cars. The damages were enormous. Even now one can see cars with pockmarked roofs.
It was the same year we had a severe hailstorm here in Switzerland. We had serious damages in the garden and the roof, at least covered by our insurance.
@pgntwo (21651)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@LadyDuck @MALUSE This video from Aug-2013 in Reutlingen, Baden-W├╝rttemberg, Germany may have been around the same time:
Ein schweres Hagelunwetter hat erneut den Landkreis Reutlingen heimgesucht. Vor allem betroffen war die Gemeinde Sonnenbühl bei Genkingen und Undingen auf de...
@Shellyann36 (9616)
I am sure quite a bit of damage was caused by those balls of ice! They look large enough to cause roof damage and kill any unsuspecting animal or even human who got caught out in it.
@pgntwo (21651)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Videos on YouTube show how much damage to property arises from such ferocious hailstorms. I linked one into the discussion below, if you are interested.
@pgntwo I did go check it out. I feel really bad for the person stuck in the car and the windshield looks as if it is going to give at any moment!
@pgntwo (21651)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Shellyann36 You would not be safe inside a stationary vehicle with hail that size plummeting down around you...
@Pattitude (1299)
• Newton, North Carolina
Dang, look at the size of that thing. I have never seen a hail stone that large! We usually get a lot of tornadoes in NC, but it's been nice for a couple of years.
@pgntwo (21651)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
No tornadoes in Ireland, although the occasional squally gale that will lift light manhole covers, twist or bring down trees and relocate any unsecured trampolines from one garden to another...
@Pattitude (1299)
• Newton, North Carolina
@pgntwo I always thought the weather was mild in Ireland. I hope to visit there someday. My Coyne and Snow ancestors are from County Roscommon and Westmeath or is it Westheath?
@pgntwo (21651)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Pattitude It is Westmeath. No tornadoes, lots of rain - it is pretty mild most of the time.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
At least hail is a normal thing to have falling from the sky. It's when fish and frogs fall from the sky that I start worrying that maybe Sharknado could be prophetic.
@pgntwo (21651)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Rollo1 I had to go and look up Sharknado, didn't I? That's 3 minutes of my life I can't 'unremember'...
@sueznewz2 (9996)
• Alicante, Spain
blimey.... a hail stone that size would definitely do some damage.... scary....
• Preston, England
wow hail that size could kill - pretty scary