Going Back to Cable TV

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
I didn't want to do it, and I resisted a long time, hoping that this indoor antenna would do the trick for me. But as it turns out, it hasn't. There is only one wall I can attach the thing to, and it faces a vast expanse of solid woods. So today, the cable guy is coming back to set me up with digital TV, and I'll be back in non-pixilated business. It's been so frustrating to start watching something and to get absorbed in it only to see small squares of color and then whole bars break the picture up. Then finally, the whole image goes haywire, the sceen goes black, and I get a "No Signal" message. It clears up after awhile, only to keep doing it to the point that I get tired of it and just turn the TV off. Only 3 or 4 channels never do it, and there is just so much to watch on them. So now that I am a bit more financially capable, I am going back to cable. I haven't had a house phone in ages and have relied on my cell phone for several years now, but part of this cheaper package includes a phone. I already had the internet hooked up not long after I moved here, so it's just a matter of setting the TV service and phone up. Had I not bought this package, I would have paid more for just internet and cable together than this package will cost me for a year. And at my age, a lot can happen in a year, so I can't predict where I'll be in December 2016. My reasoning is that I don't go out a lot, and I won't pay even the senior price to see a single movie in a theater. I am not tech-savvy enough to get into Netflix or any of the non-cable services, and I am what I call a lazy viewer: I like to pick up the remote, turn the TV on, find something to watch, and then turn it off when I'm done. Even remotes baffle me, so the simpler the better. I'm looking forward to once again having all the channels I did a few years ago, including Turner Classic Movies (TCM), my favorite. This package will also give me Music Choice, which is a whole line of music channels from children's to classic rock to classical. Yes, there are a lot of cable channels that don't interest me, like lots of sports and news channels, etc. But there are almost as many that I do like, so why not treat myself now that I can do it? I consider it my Christmas gift to myself!
I am glad that you made yourself happy! I love TMC and all the music channels that we have in our package. It is expensive but we don't go out much, so if we average the cost, it makes for pretty cheap "fun".
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That's how I'm looking at it, Marie. I don't go out much either, other than when my sister is here. So when I do average it out, it ends up being about $3.60 a day for that pleasure. That's less than some cups of designer coffee! So I'm excited.
@gudheart (12752)
Enjoy watching the different channels :D I hardly watch TV anymore, just watch everything online now lol
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I can't stand watching things on my laptop. It's so uncomfortable, and my battery charge doesn't last long enough for me to sit with it anywhere. I much prefer my big TV screen and my soft sofa.
@gudheart (12752)
@Raelove True. We have a smart tv so it can stream things via online.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@gudheart I have a dumb TV, so I can't do that without running a cable. And then the sound comes just through my pc, so it's weird.
I'm sure you'll get lots of pleasure from your cable channels. I think it's a good thing.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. I'm excited about it. And the cable people show up now within an hour of the set time. No more waiting all day for them, which is nice.
@Raelove I've found they come when scheduled with is great.
If you have all three thru the same provider you get a better price, so hopefully that works for you. It didn't sound like you were to happy with that antenna. I am waiting patiently for the HugehsNet installer this morning.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I will store that antenna, as I threw the box away, so can't return it. I may need it in the future. Who knows? Yes, the three are a package for one lower price, so that's the way to go. In a year, when it goes up, I'll see where I'm at and go from there.
@Raelove Do you belong to any Facebook yard sale groups? I have sold a ton of things thru the ones I belong to.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill I did for awhile. But I hated the runaround and having to drive to safe neutral spots for what I got out of it. Wouldn't be worth it for an antenna that I paid $30 for and would have to sell for half that. I'll just put it away for the future. And maybe someone in my family could need it someday, as long as they don't live near a lot of trees!
@winterose (39918)
I love Turner Classic Movies it is the station I have on all the time.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Same here. It's long been my favorite station.
good for you.They have some great shows there.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I am so happy about it, Alfredo. It's all hooked up now, so I can't wait to sit with my supper and watch all the shows and programs I've been missing for so long.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Having only figured out that yesterday was Tuesday at 9am this morning, I find that I cannot watch broadcast TV or cable because I can't remember when the shows I like are on or be committed to sitting in front of the TV at that time. I prefer the Roku and streaming, not just Netflix, but also all the other major networks have streaming channels to watch episodes of shows. But you are right that it's not even a savings to buy the internet separately because the bundle prices are cheaper. But network TV is dying, cable is dying. I even heard my cable provider boast that they had a movie before Netflix, which shows that they are worried about streaming taking over. And it will someday, because the younger generation doesn't watch TV. They watch on their computers, netbooks, tablets and cell phones. But for now, it's smart to take advantage of the bundled prices as they actually will cost you less, at least for the first 12 months.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That's how I look at it. The guy that installed my internet agreed with me that cable is dying.
As much as complain about my cable bill it's one expensive I cant live without. I enjoy too many tv shows. Glad you were able to get a good price for a year and ENJOY your Christmas present to yourself!!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, it is a lot of money. But as I averaged it out, it comes to just a little over $3 a day. I can't think of much else I can enjoy for that price these days and that gives me so much choice and pleasure. I'm a child of the 50's, when TV was still brand new. So I've never lost my fascination with it.
When I have read TMC I thought to the TV station of the place where I lived 25 years "Tele Monte-Carlo".
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Actually, it's TCM (Turner Classic Movies.) TMC is another channel called The Movie Channel, which is not the same thing.
Nothing wrong with giving yourself a gift. I would go crazy without my t.v., even if I only use it as background noise sometimes.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I do that, too, just to break up the stillness.
I think that its great that you're getting cable television. We live in a rural area so there are no cable lines out here, but we subscribe to a satellite company because like you, we enjoy turning on the television and enjoying shows too.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks! And yes, after a long busy day, I love nothing better than to sink into my soft sofa and turn the TV on. It will be nice not to have to deal with scrambled images anymore! We can't have satellite dishes here, so we have to use cable, which is fine with me. Less hassle all the way around.