This Confounds Me!

I watched a little TV yesterday and saw several different groups of people. They ranged in age from twenties to ninety. All of a sudden something struck me as odd. All of the men were wearing some form of suit. Some were very casual and others more formal. They looked professional. As a result, the viewing public could focus on what each man was saying or doing. Every single woman was dressed in skin tight attire. Many were very short. When the woman sat down, very little was covered. Several of the dresses were almost transparent. A few looked pretty, several did not. But to a person, the clothing was a distraction. What each woman said or did receded behind the tittilation created by her attire. Why the dichotomy? All of the men I saw on TV yesterday were dress professionally, so were the women. But they were dressed as if they were in the "oldest profession". Why don't they take a cue from their male counterparts?
I have noticed the trend, more and more women dress in public as they were in their bedroom, exactly to do the oldest profession.
If find it off putting and sad.
@ElizabethWallace We want "equality" and then we act just if only the body is important. This is sad.
@LadyDuck This has been happening for decades, and seems to be getting worse.
@gudheart (12808)
I think it has been happening a lot recently now. Women are losing the professional look and classy look.
I enjoy watching Leslie Sykes on abc News for several reasons. One is that she dresses in a conservative and professional manner.
I have noticed this also. I wonder why women think that they have to dress sexy?
The people in the media have bought into their own baloney.
@garymarsh6 (11896)
Surprising that it is not just youngsters dressing like that. You see young men with their pants hanging over their trousers and their trousers halfway down their legs. It is a disgrace! The same goes for young women too with their fat bottoms and thongs hanging out of their trousers.
The baggy low pants fad has gone away in the US, finally.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Both are pretty gross.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@ElizabethWallace I still see it in the 'hood.
Women don't always help themselves. Did you know one of your tags is 'Pressing unprofessionally'?
Oops, thanks.
@vandana7 (55377)
Well, I don't think our ladies are doing that. They are moving from traditionally uncomfortable for working and climbing buses attire to something that is more manageable. Now, if they would get rid of those stolls the clothes would be fine according to me. Too tight is terrible, especially if you are living in this part of the world where it is so unbearably hot. lol
Your traditional styles are pretty revealing, aren't they?
@vandana7 (55377)
@ElizabethWallace ..If worn in modern way, extremely seductive. lol Honestly, people here are out of their minds. I could walk on the road with an extremely low back tress, and some part of my waist revealed and part of my neck, shoulder, and region above chest revealed and still be considered traditional, but if I wore jeans and a knee length kurta, I would still be considered modern and anybody modern means available here. Pity. Indian men are not improving.
@vandana7 Oh, well. I blame it on testosterone. [em]lol[/em
@troyburns (1478)
• New Zealand
Just to be different, can I talk about the way the men were dressed? This, of course, is every bit as manipulative and shallow as the way the women were dressed. Women are judged on how they appear; men on how they appear to be. Never mind what anyone is actually saying - the semiotics of fashion condition us to more readily accept the opinions of people we judge to be a good mate. A suit does that as much as a short dress.
Okay, but why then do women love men in tuxedos?
@troyburns (1478)
• New Zealand
@ElizabethWallace - Tuxedos are great. They represent success, respectability and power (the ultimate aphrodisiac). I understand your point (and agree with it, to an extent) but the expectation that everyone from a politician to "the accused" should wear a suit is equally as distracting.
@troyburns My original point was that men dress for the job, and many women dress like they work on the corner of Hollywood and Vine (if you get the reference).
@Namelesss (983)
Noted but when they do dress more appropriately to be heard they get called some really nasty names and told they are ugly. Like that has anything to do with it.
Whatever happened to slapping people who said rude things? I am not for violence, but it sure was an effective deterrent once upon a time.
@ElizabethWallace My grandmother would have popped them that's for sure.
@Namelesss Times change, and not always for the better.
@Rollo1 (16676)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I remember when the trend for women was "power suits" to give them that professional look and edge. It's all a fashion show these days.
I would not mind a fashion show, but they are just showing their bodies now.
@Rollo1 (16676)
• Boston, Massachusetts
@ElizabethWallace That's the fashion.
@Rollo1 Okay, play on words. Cute.
@fishtiger58 (28476)
• Momence, Illinois
The double standard has been around a long time and it's not right. I love my jeans and t shirts. No fashion show up in here.
So how do women in business or on tv news programs dress?
@fishtiger58 (28476)
• Momence, Illinois
@ElizabethWallace In a feminine less revealing professional way. There is a time and a place for sexy, but not at the work place.
Lol - 'the oldest profession'!! You are right - this does seem to be the norm for women now.
Might as well make jokes about it. It isn't likely to go away.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I asssume it's because men try to look like they have money and women try to look like they have eggs just waiting to be fertilized. Around here (Northern California), I notice that some women dress "slutty," but I find it to be a turn off.
In SoCal, most women dress slutty, especially if they are young.
@antonbunot (8685)
• Calgary, Alberta
O, I would have loved to see those women looked like . . .with that oldest-profession-attires . . .
Turn on any US talk show or news program.
@marijuana (588)
• Tel Aviv, Israel
yeah, unfortunately.. As if the world is running out of fabric :)
Ha ha. Exactly right! I think the sick cover up women religious thing is a backlash. Both make me nuts.
it is really sad today how immodestly women dress. i'm fine with a variety of fashions, not a prude per say, but i still think that women should try to dress more classy
@Drosophila (16885)
What show is this? sounds a bit mad
@simone10 (22278)
• Louisville, Kentucky
It's all about the ratings and women dressed like that is supposed to bring in the male viewers.
@pgntwo (19752)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Bring back the TV show, Dallas - for the most part, they all dressed well on that show! Upon reflections, perhaps the shoulder-pads could be left out.
@PatZAnthony (11765)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It has been a puzzle for me too-why don't women, knowing they will be filmed, interviewed, seen-dress as if they cared? Most have proper attire-just seem to shove it to the back of the closet. It's terrible.
What show was that ? The things we see on television.