Do You ALWAYS Tip?

Calgary, Alberta
One evening I was paying to the cashier the amount that my wife and I spent for self-serve dinner in a Chinese restaurant. The amount was something like $48.75. I asked the cashier why the amount seemed more than I expected. According to her the 17% gratuity (tip) was included. I looked at my wife and uttered "WOW"! All the waiter did was showed us our table and served a small jug of water. The second and final time we saw him was when he came to hand us our chit and took our empty plates. My wife left a 5-dollar-bill on the table for the waiter. So, I told the cashier that we already left a tip on the table for the waiter. She did not look happy but she deducted the 17% from the amount and told us that next time we should not leave tips on the table. But before we left I suggested to the cashier that they should notify customers that a 17% gratuity is mandatory by posting a notice on the door. Was I right or am I cheap? Note: The complementing image of this post was taken from MorgueFile.
There is a sign on the table where I go and we no longer leave a tip. I like it like that..
• Calgary, Alberta
I used to work in a large casino as a slot attendant. . . . Jackpot winners are not required to tip. However, most patrons tip. But what is funny some customers are so cheap . . . One lady won more than 20000 dollars, she gave us a big ONE DOLLAR tip!
@antonbunot I would have given that tip right back to her. Cheap is not the word.
• Calgary, Alberta
@sharon6345 If I did that . . . I would have been fired if the woman complained.
@hereandthere (33013)
i used to tip until a friend taught me to check the bill if they have a service charge/tax already, but her advice applies to sit-down restaurants with waiters that attend to you. in your situation, you're right. they should put a sign so customers are aware before they proceed to eat. would that be the first and last time you'll eat there?
• Calgary, Alberta
@hereandthere . . yeah, never went back to that Chinese restaurant.
@antonbunot not surprised. if you hear someone thinking of eating there, be sure to give them a head's up. but food-wise, how was it? were the prices fair enough?
I also would think the same . If it is already included in the bill , then they should put a notice about that so we will not be leaving a tip for the waiter anymore . Here in the Philippines , when we pay the bill we always take a look if there is a service charge . If there is , we don't leave a tip anymore .
• Calgary, Alberta
Since then we go to fast food restaurants so we don't worry about tipping! nayhahahaha!
@antonbunot Yes, at fast foods , no tipping .
They are required to state the service charge is included on the bill.
• Calgary, Alberta
I did not know that. I thought you may or may not give tips in a self-serve restaurants.
@antonbunot True, but if they include it automatically, they have to tell you.
Yes, some places I went to charges gratuity toward the bill (but usually if you have guest of like 6 or more people). I have never been to a restaurant that charges if it's just two people. That's ridiculously expensive for a self-serve food place though! It should be your preference on tip because you did all the work to get the food!
• Calgary, Alberta
@infatuatedbby Exactly! The waiter just showed us a table, brought a small jug of water, and the second time and last we saw her . . . when she came to hand us our chit and took away our plates.
@antonbunot That is horrible! I hope the food was at least that good be charging 17% tip!
I think you were right. I doubt I would ever go back there. I have seen where they give you options of paying a certain amount on the check but never have seen where it is mandatory. I would not go there again.
• Calgary, Alberta
Never went back to that restaurant again.
@antonbunot ...Good! They need to get a grip.
@PatZAnthony (13118)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
The recommended tip here is 15% It is odd that some places add the tip in for you!
• Calgary, Alberta
@PatZAnthony . . . Recommended!? So, you may or may not tip 15%? In other restaurants my wife and I tip just $5.00. And we just leave it on the table.
No I think charging 17% for buffet was crazy. I would have protested as well. The only time we get that here is if the group is larger than 5 or 6 people.
• Calgary, Alberta
I also think it is crazy!
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
17% for self service is crazy. You should have asked them to pay you 17% for serving yourselves.
• Calgary, Alberta
I know it is crazy . . . .
Most places will say that the tip is included.