Christmas Gift for a Teenager

@moffittjc (43140)
Gainesville, Florida
My 16-year old daughter has not asked for a single thing for Christmas, nor hinted in any way, shape or form what she wants. Even when I ask her, she either says "I don't know" or "I don't want anything." So, I'm at wits end trying to figure out what to get her! I know that gift cards are always an item I can fall back on, but she's not really the type who likes to go shopping, so I'm not sure a gift card would be the best thing for her. She doesn't wear jewelry, and barely ever wears make-up. Fashion-wise, she is so picky that it's not even worth trying to guess on something she'd like. So, as you can see, I'm in a pickle. Help! I'm open to any and all suggestions! What would be a good gift for a 16-year old girl?
When I was 16 I liked things for skiing. What does she like to do? Movie passes, Amusement park passes, golf passes. Start with an activity she likes and think what supports that. But, for all of our teen and young adult grandkids, we fell back on gift cards.
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was thinking about getting her a gift certificate for a day at a local spa, with the full treatment...nails, toes, massage, etc.
@moffittjc wow I think most teen age girls would like that and even old women would love that lol lol lol.
@gudheart (12752)
I think the suggestion of move passes is a great idea :D
After reading your post it seems she needs or wants nothing. I would just slip a bill in a nice card and put it under the tree. Trust me no matter what you might think she will find a use for it. MY daughter keeps saying she does not want to take anything from me. She knows I am poor. I am giving her $50 in an envelope. I already know what she is going to buy. Good luck. Your a good father.
Plus,she is getting a tv and game she been talking about so much. The playstation 4.
@Marcyaz (35669)
That would also be a good idea money in an envelope @sharon6345
@Marcyaz I always think of this in a crunch. money is the bet gift to me.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
Is she into her school a nice School Jacket perhaps, or a nice leather jacket if she likes leather.
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's funny that you mention a leather jacket, I have been trying for the past three years to find her a leather jacket that she likes! But, alas, I have not had any luck to this point. But I love leather jackets, so I'll keep trying to find one that she likes!
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
@moffittjc Well here's the thing. I am a woman and I much prefer a man's leather jacket. They fit better and are thicker. And I'm a small woman, 4 foot 10 and still I would much rather have a man's leather jacket. So maybe take a gander at those. You might find something there you think she will like. I have 3 leather jackets and they are all mens'
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
@fishtiger58 I have definitely figured out that my daughter likes the men's leather jackets better than the women's jackets. She is always wanting to borrow mine, but it is way too big for her! I'll let her wear it around the house, but usually don't let her wear it out in public because it is so big on her. I may just have to find a men's leather jacket in her size, and see if she likes that!
The Sean Covey book, Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens, and a savings account.
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
Great recommendations Elizabeth, but she already has both! I opened up a savings account for her when she was born, and I got her the Seven Habits book at the same time I went through the Seven Habits course at work!
@moffittjc Ha ha. I think the book should be taught to all kids in the seventh grade. How about The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley?
@ElizabethWallace A couple of the schools I substitute at, use Steven Covey's techniques throughout the school.
@Platespinner (16521)
Does she have any hobbies? My 16 year old daughter usually gets most of her art supplies for Christmas. My girls don't wear much jewelry, but they were appreciative of the silver rings we bought at the Grand Canyon last year on our family vacation and gave them for Christmas. D'ya think she's holding out in hopes of getting you to concede to that tattoo?
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
She is very artistic, and someone in the family is already planning on getting her a ton of art supplies. I've been thinking about getting her a nice pendant necklace! And she hasn't mentioned the tattoo in about a week, so I'm thinking either she has forgotten about it, or has decided to put it off for a while.
@moffittjc A nice pendant sounds like a great idea. There are certain things, like sketchbooks, that my daughter is forever needing replaced. She usually gets the cheapo Walmart sketchbooks, but she usually gets nice ones for Christmas.
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Platespinner She loves going to concerts, so I can search Ticketmaster and see if any shows are coming to our area in the near future, and then try to get her tickets! That would be a big surprise to her!
I don't think I have any ideas. If she likes clothes and fashion, is there a teen magazine she might like a subscription to? Or a book of tattoo designs? :) A short course of lessons in something she's interested in? Good luck.
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
I don't think she would be interested in any of that stuff. She tells me all the time, "Dad, I'm easy to please, because I'm content with everything I already have!"
@patgalca (14416)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@moffittjc This is the first year my girls haven't said anything about movies or books that they want, which hasn't helped. But I'm sick of stocking the shelves with movies that will only get watched once or twice. If your daughter is a reader, or likes to buy stuff online, an Amazon gift card????
@LeaPea2417 (20470)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Maybe you could buy a special type of figurine, like the Precious Moments figurines. (maybe one that has a reference to the love a father has for his daughter), something like that.
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
She gets a Precious Moments figurine every year on her birthday from her grandmother!
Does she have the latest in technology? Teenagers seem to always gravitate towards new technology.
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
Her mom is getting her a brand-new laptop for Christmas, a lower-end one that will get her through her next 2 years of high school. I will get her a top of the line MacBook Pro laptop when she starts college. She also has an iPhone 6s, so she is pretty up-to-date with technology. But thanks for the recommendation!
@gudheart (12752)
Perfume, make up, cosmetics should be welcome :D
@JESSY3236 (6536)
You could get her a gift card from a favorite place to eat, or a book of she likes to read.
When children grow up, it seems it is harder to choose gifts for them. Does your daughter has any specific hobby? Such as if she likes music, how about giving her a guitar?
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was the same way when I was a teenager. My parents could never figure out what to give me for Christmas! I have a question for you, if you don't mind me asking: is Christmas celebrated in China?
@moffittjc Christmas is not our officlal festival, namely we don't have a day off work. However, Christmas is becoming very popular here anyway. You can see many beautiful Christmas trees in the department stores. We like to go out to have a feast as a celebration. Of course we will also give presents to children. But it depends on different families. I like Christmas and it is a happy festival. Every year I tried to find a nice gift for my son and then secretly gave him. And when my son was little, he really thought Santa Claus gave him presents I am not sure whether he still believes it now, he is 11 years old. He may have doubts today.
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
@youless The Christmas holiday has its history and traditions tied to Christianity. Although nowadays, Christmas is less of a religious holiday and more of a secular holiday. Even Muslims and Hindus are starting to celebrate some of the Christmas festivities. In China, is Christmas separated from it religious beliefs/background, or is the religious part of the holiday celebrated as well (the birth of Jesus Christ, whom Christians believe is the savior of the world sent by God).
@VivaLaDani13 (20014)
• Perth, Australia
haha my dad has this problem with me every year! She sounds so much like me about the clothes. I'm extremely picky! I don't really know what else she would like. I kind of understand how she is but ok here I go: *Massage / spa voucher *Gift voucher for a certain clothing store / shoe store *iTunes gift card? Don't know if she even does that stuff *Books? Do teenagers know what they are? *Make your own gift voucher booklet where you say you will take her bowling, movies etc Just a fun, creative, self made gift that she can use anytime she wants. Like rips out what she wants to do and gives the voucher to you. *Lava lamp? Are they still cool anymore? Really hard to suggest when I don't really know what she is like. Like her hobbies etc
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
I love your idea about a personalized gift voucher book for the two of us to do things together. She loves "experiences" more than she loves physical gifts, so this would be right up her alley! She would love it! She loves to read, so I can say at least one teenager in this world still knows what books are! She actually does have a lava lamp! I don't know if they are cool anymore, but she does have one! haha
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc yay sweet! I did that for my dad one year cause I really had no idea what he would want but that was more vouchers like "Clean the house", "make your bed." etc and with a few "treat you to dinner" kind of vouchers. lol yay awesome. Everyone, even adults are into that kindle thing...or whatever it is on the ipad. I personally love holding a book and physically turning a page ok sweet! :D I want one. :(
@patgalca (14416)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@moffittjc Go sky diving together!!!! My daughter and I did that. We had a blast....... or any other adventure.
@hereandthere (31194)
such a unique 16-year-old you have there. i like the spa and concert ideas. but what if she wants to go with a friend?
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
That's why I hesitate to get her a gift certificate to a spa. Most people don't like to go alone, they want to have someone there with them. I certainly wouldn't want her to be stuck there by herself without a friend there with her!
@moffittjc would it break the bank to buy two GCs? just choose a not-so-high-end spa?
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
@hereandthere I suppose I could do that! Just buy two, and let her pick a friend to go with her!
@dodo19 (32909)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It can be hard when she's not really saying what she wants. I was similar, which probably drove my parents nuts. Just think of hobbies she likes and go with that.
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
She is the type of person who likes "experiences" more than physical gifts. So, going to concerts, taking trips and mini-vacations, those are the types of things she likes, so maybe I'll do something along those lines.
@dodo19 (32909)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@moffittjc that's certainly something to consider. A concert or something may be something she'd appreciate. Good luck!
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
@dodo19 She definitely would love that! I just have to find an upcoming concert of an artist she likes!
@UncleJoe (9971)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I think she would just love a Corvette!
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
Of course she would! Her grandfather has a brand-new one, and she just loves riding around in that thing when he visits! I would be happy to get her one, as long as I can send you the bill!
Buying for teenagers is hard especially when they won't even give a clue as to what they want
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
That's for sure! Thankfully, I only have a few more years until she is an adult! lol
@WorDazza (10105)
• Manchester, England
Sorry I can't be any help but we have the opposite problem with our daughter. A wish-list as long as your arm and a sulk on Christmas Day when not everything appears!!!
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
You just described my 12-year old son perfectly! He's the same exact way, although he's not as bad as he used to be! I'm constantly reminding him that material things aren't what make us truly happy in this world. I think in the back of his mind he understands that, but still wants everything regardless!
@garymarsh6 (14132)
I would get her a selection of Shop gift vouchers maybe some amazon vouchers or apple vouchers if she is into music. Teenagers can be very fickle. I dont know if you have a large shopping mall there where you might get a general voucher that can be spent in any of the shops in the Mall.
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was thinking about getting her an iTunes gift card, as she loves to download songs. She loves music!
@Sreekala (22973)
Since she is not demanding anything the choice is yours. What about her reading habit, if she like to read, give her a wonderful book for reading. I think you know more about her hobbies closely assess and find a perfect gift for her.
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
She loves to read, but unfortunately her homework and school projects take up just about every waking moment for her, leaving her very little time to read for pleasure.
How about a 'daddy-daughter date'? You tell her the budget, she gets to choose what you do, you spend quality time together and make memories. I wouldn't go with the spa idea. The pendant sounds like a lovely idea; even if she doesn't wear a lot of jewellery, it never hurts to have something pretty to wear. :)
@moffittjc (43140)
• Gainesville, Florida
I like the idea of the two of us having a daddy-daughter date! I may just have to set that up! She would love it!