A lot of words to describe nothing

@scheng1 (24812)
Singapore
I think it is a great skill if you can use a lot of words to describe nothing. When I read science fiction books written by a famous Chinese writer, I always am frustrated by his ability to use a lot of words to describe nothing. When he wants to describe an extraordinary event, he will say: “I have never experienced such horror in my life.” “no words can tell you all the horrors.” “You will not believe that such a thing can happen.” He can go on for a few pages before he tells you what exactly has happened. I think that is the reason that he is very successful in writing science fiction. He is good in building suspense, and uses a lot of empty words to fill up the pages.
@dodoazo (17356)
Writers may differ from their style, from their expertise, from their purpose. And besides writing is an art. Nobody could just write and write. It takes skills, experience and one thing more is the attitude for writing is too tedious, boring though productive and prolific.
@scheng1 (24812)
All work are tedious and boring, though the finished products can make us proud. Writing is as tedious as those cashiers or bank tellers who have to do the same thing over and over again. Writing fiction is sometimes more exciting and challenging as the writers live with their heroes.
@dodoazo (17356)
@scheng1 a person who writes for a living, never gets tired. Thought it tedious and boring, but it pays to do so.
• Preston, England
H P Lovecraft was very good at describing things as indescribable over several pages in his horror stories
@scheng1 (24812)
haha, I think all these suspense writers must be earning big bucks just for writing about nothing. I bet their books are thick, and sell very well. If you have such talents, I think you are flying to the islands in the tropical region now.
• Preston, England
@scheng1 sounds a lovely idea - wish my writings earned enough to let me do that
@pgiblett (6603)
The art of a great writer is to use a lot of words to say nothing, it is something George Bernard Shaw talked much about
@scheng1 (24812)
I think the same explanation for politicians too. We hardly see any politician who is short and sweet, and explain things clearly. They are always full of words, and they use long words to describe nothing. Perhaps that is the reason they get elected!
@pgiblett (6603)
@scheng1 That is very true - you will never find a politician who says "I don't know the answer to that" instead the waffle on about nothing al all.
I am very curious to know who is this writer. As not many Chinese writers are good at writing science fiction books. By the way, can you read Chinese?
@scheng1 (24812)
You know of him. He wrote both sword fighting books as well as science fiction. His pen name is ?? If you do not know him, then I wonder what you have been reading!