Christmas in the 1990's.

Banks, Oregon
The 1990's was a pretty good time, people seemed to have more money to spend on things and, splurge back then. One of the famous TV shows back then was Seinfeld. I'm sure everybody remembers the show, where George's Dad created his own holiday called festivas lol, because he thought Christmas had became to commercial. The 90's was also a time of a lot of new Christmas movies as well, like Home Alone and, Santa Claus, with Tim Allen, two classics that everyone still loves today. Mariah Carey also came out, with a hit Christmas song, that became the most downloaded Christmas song of all time. I think it's called all I want for Christmas. The 90's was also big for microchip technology, the first website was actually tested on Christmas I guess and, in 95 a huge war started between Sony PlayStation and, Nintendo, Nintendo had I think the 64 by that time, which one did you prefer? I sill preferred Nintendo. CD's passed the cassette in 1992, basically putting them out of business, I remember that just came out of no where. I had thousands of tapes to, some of the popular gifts in the 90's were Computers, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, portable cd player, gift cards, tickle me Elmo, beanie babies, game boy, ninja turtles, power rangers, nerf guns, super soaker, pogs, creepy crawlers, Pokémon, easy bake oven and, many more? What were your favorite toys to get? I wasn't aware of this, but I guess Gorbachev actually resigned on Christmas and, last but not least, another cool movie that came out was nightmare before Christmas. What do you remember about Christmas in the 90's?
• Portland, Connecticut
I am much more attached to Christmas in the 1950's but I suspect it has to do with being a child then.
I am sure the 50's were a great time to be a kid on Christmas :)
• Portland, Connecticut
@TRBRocks420 It really was, it is like a Christmas Story that is my childhood to a tee.
I had wonderful Christmases then, because my son was young.
My children too and those holidays are the most memorable
It was when I was still young enough to really enjoy it too, because my Grandma was still here :)
Christmas in the 90's brings back great memories for me. My children were young enough to enjoy the holidays and still a long way away from getting married and leaving home
I hear you. I miss those times a lot, because my Grandma always made it special :)
I remember being busy busy busy at Christmas time in the 90s. Christmas is busy for teachers. I was a single mom so didn't have Lots of money. My girls were more into clothes and stuff by that time and stuff for skiing. I don't remember specific gifts they wanted. I remember great times with my extended family when we all skied together.
Same here I really miss those days a lot :)
@bluesa (9653)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I loved Beanie Babies, and a portable cd player was just the coolest! Home Alone is still one of my top Christmas movies ever. :-)
They were cute and, I loved both of those too :)
@T_gray (7900)
• Salina, Kansas
I had just moved here from living in Germany for three years..so I almost had a culture shock, even in that short time. Plus living with my mom, without my dad, due to a divorce, we lived a lot differently. But I remember getting my first nintentdo. my first little black and white tv with the antennas to play on. I do remember all those movies. I think the 90s where good times for me overall
That is quite the move, from Germany to America, my parents were divorced when I was 11 years old too and, awesome I enjoyed the 90's a lot too :)
@LoriAMoore (12568)
I hadn't remembered any of that, but glad you did because it was a trip down memory lane.
It's vague now in my memory.
Not sure if I can.really I cannot.
@sallypup (18595)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I have never liked Tim Allen movies. I'm more into what you might call sappy movies like Prancer. I don't like off humor holiday movies.
I love Prancer, one of my favorite Christmas movies, but also like Tim Allen and, the Santa Claus movie it has some sappy parts in it.
@sallypup (18595)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TRBRocks420 Have you seen the Charley Brown Christmas cartoon that features Harold Angel?
@sallypup I am not sure. I think I probably have though. I have seen a bunch of them love Charlie Brown too.
@VivaLaDani13 (15935)
• Perth, Australia
@TRBRocks420 lol Yeah I remember that Seinfeld episode. We used to watch it on TV every time it was on. Still watch it. Was one of the best shows. I remember when the Furby came out. I still have mine lol But the very first one I got was all screwy. It was making a loud high pitched sound instead of talking. I would have been 7 I think. I freaked out and didn't know what to do. I quickly put it under a pillow to try and hide the sound lol I don't know why I did that. Just freaked out. But mum and dad took it back and got me a new one which was nice. There was a lot of awesome toys back then. I also remember getting a Playstation 1 and playing Driver one Christmas morning. Was so much fun.
Glad to hear you remember it, that one was pretty funny and, I remember those Firby's too, they did sometimes make weird noises, also ps1 and, driver one of the great games.
I notice that all the toys you mention were electronic. I can't remember anything particular about the 90s - I have a post written about the 1940s which I will put up in a day or two.
They aren't all electronics, a lot of action figures and, dolls also mentioned, among other things, also cool. I have so far wrote one about the 60's, 70's, 80's and, now the 90's.
@marijuana (588)
• Tel Aviv, Israel
in the 90's, I was young then, so a lots of christmas carols and I received lots of gifts from aunts and uncles. Now I am the one doing the gift giving to my nieces and nephews
@inertia4 (26298)
The 90's are a blur to me. But I do remember the 80's. I had a good time in the 80's. I guess that was more my era. I cannot believe that Mariah Carey song came out in 1994. I could have sworn heard that one in the 80's.
I don't remember much about Christmas in the 90s but your post brought back some memories.