Wrapping Gifts

@Raelove (17748)
Saco, Maine
I admit that wrapping gifts, whether it be during the holidays or for other special events, has never been my forte. My late partner, D, used to put all his art training into it and produced masterpieces that were too beautiful to open! He never skimped on paper, ribbon or bows. And he was a master at producing picture-perfect wrapped gifts. What made all the difference is that he loved doing it. For me, though, it's always been a chore that I don't enjoy. It's OK if I have only one or two small normally-shaped packages to wrap. But when it comes to big oddly-shaped gifts, I lose interest. Gift bags are, at such moments, the best thing to come along since sliced bread. During my leaner Christmases when I didn't have the money to buy gifts, I baked breads and other pastries, wrapped them in foil, and then in colored tissue paper. I discovered tissue paper a few years ago, and have rarely used any other type of paper since to wrap gifts. It's really cheap, comes in lots of colors, and is easy to work with. In most cases, you have to use several sheets to wrap a gift with, as one or two aren't sturdy enough and often tear. But considering that, on Christmas Day, ALL wrapping paper gets ruined anyway, why pay an arm and a leg for it? The varied colors of tissue paper make for a colorful display under the tree, and you can get creative with ribbon and bows. It's all I ever use now, and no one has ever complained. Besides, it's what's inside the package that counts!
@cindiowens (4924)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
My grandpa used to wrap gifts in newspaper. He wrapped mine with the funny papers. I loved it.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
I've done that, too. One time, I bought plain white shelving paper and did all kinds of little doodles all over the package. I've also used small brown paper bags that I've decorated myself or with stickers. There are lots of inexpensive ways to wrap gifts without spending a small fortune on them.
@Marcyaz (35589)
I have heard of people wrapping gifts in newspaper but I have never done it myself@cindiowens
@Marcyaz (35589)
@Raelove I have never used brown paper bags but I once used the white plastic bags from the store and put stickers all over them for the kids, they loved the stickers
There are such beautiful creations for wrappings. Sorry to read of the loss of your partner Rachel.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. He was so creative about this stuff. And he loved Christmas. Has never been the same without him or my mother, so I am always happy when it's all behind me.
@Raelove Understood my friend, I wish you a joyous and peaceful day for Xmas.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
@TiarasOceanView And I wish you the same.
@sueznewz2 (10156)
• Alicante, Spain
That's a good idea... I like wrapping up the gifts... I'm ok at it... not bad..but not wonderful either....lol's
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
I'm OK if they're manageable. But I tire of it easily.
@sueznewz2 (10156)
• Alicante, Spain
@Raelove I don't tire of it... I often do other peoples wrapping too....
@Marcyaz (35589)
I have been asked to wrap other peoples gifts for them and have done so in the past @sueznewz2
@sallypup (30028)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Tissue paper is a great idea. I wouldn't think it cheap cause you have to use quite a few sheets to get the job done.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
I get it at the Dollar Tree Store, so even if I used 2-3 sheets, it's still a bargain. And no cutting! Of course, it's not suitable for very large gifts. But for small ones, it's great. And I like the simple basic feel of it.
@sallypup (30028)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Raelove Good old Dollar Tree. We have that store, too. Good place to get tooth paste.
@sallypup (30028)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Raelove I agree though I find that they've downsized on some items so its trickier to be sure you really are getting value.
@Rohvannyn (3115)
I get my tissue paper at Dollar Tree too. This year I used purple sparkly tissue paper for everything.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
Purple...my favorite color!
• Walnut Creek, California
Actually looks quiet pretty! I like the bright colors. Wrapping gifts is not my thing either.
@Marcyaz (35589)
I can wrap gifts quite well but sometimes I just like to put some things in a gift bag and say that's good. I also like the bright colors they have@TheHorse
@softbabe44 (5899)
• Vancouver, Washington
You did what you needed to do.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
That's right.
• Vancouver, Washington
@Raelove Did you get those things done.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
@softbabe44 Haven't wrapped anything yet. Won't take long 'cause I don't buy much.
Over the last few years I have been saving the gift sacks I get and reusing them. They are easy and some are very festive and pretty. I like them! Quicker for kids and all of us to get to the goodies too. Hehe
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
I've done that, too, most years. And it the gift tags have been written in, I just tear those off.
@Raelove ...You don't even really need the tags. I just hand to people.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle Right, that's what I'm talkin' about! Easy Peasy!
@garymarsh6 (14740)
I hate wrapping presents too Rachael and really object to such a wasteful activity from the point of wasting my time to the fact that it will be ripped off unceremoniously. I know I am a bit of a misery guts where that is concerned but I have come to resent the time I could spend more productively. I think I probably inherited my grandmothers genes. She used to buy us gifts and just give it to us in the bag it came in from the shop. Of course she grew up through two world wars and things were scarce she never ever wasted anything.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
Gary, I am one of those people who would not be offended one darn bit if someone were to hand me a gift in a bag. It is the contents that matter, not what it comes in. I am so with you, too, about the wrapping aspect of it. What an incredible waste! I can understand if it's a birthday gift or a single token of some sort. But during the holidays, the waste is obscene. And a lot of wrapping paper is not recyclable. But people don't seem to care about that. While tissue paper isn't recyclable, there is usually a lot less of it to throw out, especially if I did the wrapping!
@Marcyaz (35589)
Colored tissue paper with a nice bow on it makes a present look very pretty and is different from the Christmas wrapping paper which can become dull after looking at so many patterns.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
It's very basic and simple, which is why I like it.
@fishtiger58 (30317)
• Momence, Illinois
I totally stink at wrapping. So I buy them my husband has to wrap them.
I hate wrapping gifts and so now I use mostly gift bags with tissue. Good enough for my arthritic fingers.
I love to wrap gifts, I do not like to wrap gifts in newspaper because this kind of paper smells bad and stains. I have used leftover fabrics sometimes, or plain paper that I have decorated with Christmas figures.
I haven't wrapped gifts in years. I use the gift bags of all sizes and put tissue paper at the top to cover the gifts. The bags can also be reused by the recipients.
very good t here.
Good idea and, that's what I am going to be doing today too wrapping presents.
I buy tissue paper in the dollar store..what a bargain!!
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
It sure is! And sometimes after Christmas, it's even cheaper.
I have a problem with tissue paper - too flimsy and I rip it usually right at the end of wrapping. I use to use brown paper bags to wrap stuff for my niece but she's an adult now!