What is a 14er?

Colorado has many mountain peaks over 14,000 feet. Those who are mountain experts call these mountains 14ers. Pikes Peak is one of the lowest 14ers. Mount Massive is the second highest 14er in Colorado, just 19 feet shorter than Mount Elbert. Another 14er, is Mount Sneffels, that in the late 1800s was proclaimed "the richest mountain in America" because of the $35 million produced, from the mining of precious metals and it still produces to this day. GPS satellites are now able to more precisely measure these 14ers so that several of these mountains have been given a new status as regards to their height. Countries that use a metric system, use 4,000 meters as the number for their mountains to attain a status. There are 61 such mountains in the Alps. Colorado would have 549 peaks that would qualify as 4,000ers. When we lived in Colorado, the Rocky Mountains were something that we visited quite often. We actually drove to the top of Mount Evans, the highest paved road in the USA. We also drove up to the top of Pikes Peak. Anyone who hasn't been to Colorado, needs to put this state on their Bucket List, a place to visit before you die. I lived there for 2 and 1/2 years. My daughter was born there. It's certainly a beautiful state. Have you ever been to Colorado?
@moffittjc (40359)
• Gainesville, Florida
My parents own about 50 acres of mountaintop somewhere south of Mt. Elbert. I don't know what the name of their mountain is, but I remember how fun it was to visit when I was a kid, because there would be snow all year round, even in the summer. I'm from Florida, so the hard part was not being able to breath in the mountains due to the altitude. There was a tennis court on our property, but I couldn't manage 5 minutes of tennis on it because I would be dying for oxygen!
Yes, the altitude really affects some people. It didn't bother me at all, except when I tried to cook some navy pea beans. They never got done. I had to throw them away and I didn't know for twenty years that that was the reason. Do your parents still live there? My sis-in-law lives in Spring Hill, FL I might have told you that before.
@moffittjc (40359)
• Gainesville, Florida
@IreneVincent My parents live in Florida now, in West Palm Beach. I think you did mention your sister-in-law living in Spring Hill.
@moffittjc That's good that they are near you. I'm sure you're glad about that.
@amnabas (9987)
• Karachi, Pakistan
I never been there but its interesting to know about Colorado.
I think it's interesting too, to know there are that many mountains that high in Colorado as compared to the Alps.
@pgiblett (6603)
I have flown over the Rockies many, many times. Have driven down to Seattle from Vancouver, driven through them to Kalowna, seen them from Calgary and Edmonton. They are certainly the backbone to the West Coast.
Yes, I have flown over the Rockies many time also. Magnificent!