A Possessed Choirmaster on a Rampage

By Miki
@Micmac (7100)
The Mystery of Edwin Drood is an unfinished story by Charles Dickens, who died before he completed the novel. Screenwriter, Gwyneth Hughes, presented her version of how Charles Dickens may have written the ending of Edwin Drood. I enjoyed her interpretation of the story on the PBS television program, especially the twist ending and the excellent performance of Matthew Rhys as John Jasper, the mad choirmaster. Some of the many interesting characters in the story include: a brother and sister of Ceylon, a detective, an uncanny crypt keeper, a reverend and a ragged, neglected kid named Deputy.
I have read some of Charles Dickens novels , but not this one . Is it a suspense thriller , considering that the choirmaster is a possessed one.
@Micmac (7100)
@SIMPLYD It's a psychological thriller in the sense that the choirmaster is obsessed by his own evil thoughts, but not from a spirit possession. He becomes totally berzerk when the girl he admires gives him the cold shoulder. Not only that, but he is jealous of his nephew who is engaged to be married to this girl that he (the uncle) loves. So he becomes a total wreck, an opium addict and goes on a rampage stalking his nephews' fiancee and dreams of murdering his nephew. There is suspense because I wondered if his dreams maybe real or not and there is a surprise twist ending to the story.
@Micmac The title itself makes you know that its a thriller .
@Micmac (7100)
@SIMPLYD Yes, the title implies the story is a thriller. It's a Victorian cloak-and-dagger story including detective investigations.
I do not know this novel, but I like Charles Dickens, I will look around.
@Micmac (7100)
@LadyDuck If you like, you can read this novel at public domain Project Gutenberg. Here is the link A quick summary of the story: John Jasper is an opium addict and a paranoid choirmaster who stalks his nephew's intended fiancee, Rosa, and dreams of murdering his nephew, Edwin. There are interesting subplots and the story keeps you guessing to know if John's dreams are real or not. Great Expectations and Oliver Twist are my favorite Charles Dickens stories.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/564
@Micmac Thank you for letting me know, I know the Project Gutenberg, I am going to search there. My favorite is Oliver Twist, the first book I have read in English.
@kepweng (7382)
its good and nice that you want to read mystery novels do you Already see or read sherlocks holmes novels?
@Micmac (7100)
@kepweng Yes, mysteries are my favorite genre. I have seen many Sherlock Holmes movies and read some mystery novels by Edgar Allan Poe.
• Portland, Connecticut
I have never read this ir seen the movie but I do love PBs so I imagine i would enjoy it.
@Micmac (7100)
@BelleStarr I wonder how Charles Dickens would have finished this novel had he lived to complete it? This version by Screenwriter, Gwyneth Hughes on PBS presented a good startling ending to his unfinished mystery. Yes, PBS have excellent programs to watch. Perhaps you may see the story when they air a repeat of it.
@salonga (28057)
I am familiar with the works of Charles Dickens. I am not sure though if this unfinished work is just as good.
@Micmac (7100)
@salonga There are many interpretations on film of Dicken's unfinished work. This is the only one I've watched so I don't know how it compares to other versions. This version by Gwyneth Hughes stood out for the great acting of Matthew Rhys and the twist ending, but the other characters were not so enlightening. I just found another movie version of this story too with Claude Rains that I might want to watch.
@GreatMartin (4312)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Have you ever seen and/or heard about the Broadway musical based on the story and the audience gets to decide who did it?? You can hear/see some of the songs on youtube.
@Micmac (7100)
@GreatMartin Yes, I just found out about the musical while browsing the internet and was pleasantly surprised. I like how they let the audience finishes Charles Dickens' story so that the story ends differently every night - Brilliant and unique! The songs are great and fun. This musical at roundabouttheatre looks to be a sure hit.