Burrrrrrrr...the calendar says winter starts tonight

I don't live or die by the sword, therefore, I don't live, die or dress by the calendar. Just because Winter starts tonight doesn't mean we will be having winter weather. Our temps have gone up 20 degrees since yesterday. Within a few days we will be in the low 70's and that's without a lot of sun since rain is predicted every day this week. I'll take rain any day. Our last New Year's Eve in New Jersey (2000) we got 32 inches of snow that day. The city was paralyzed. There was no place to put all the snow. New Year's Eve celebrations were cancelled, The Governor said stay off the roads. If we hadn't already decided to move south the summer of 2001 that snow storm would have pushed us to that decision. We sold the snow blower and shovels, and got rid of most of the winter clothes. Here on a normal winter we might get 6 inches of snow, which always melts the same day. Not a biggie and that's the kind of winter we like! Are you ready for winter?
@sueznewz2 (9999)
• Alicante, Spain
The spanish are a bit calendar orientated... they have been wearing jumpers, cardigans and coats for weeks and have now started wearing scarfs hats and boots... because the calendar says it winter... but us expats and other nationalities are still walking around without jackets coats, scarfs and boots.... in jeans and 't' Shirts....
I wear t-shirts in winter because i'm too hot blooded!
@PhredWreck (6051)
Yes, my socks are all clean and ready for wear if need should arise.
Do you wear them with flip-flops?
@AbbyGreenhill Yep, if it drops below 0...
@PhredWreck Ok, I prefer barefoot all year long but stores frown up that.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I don't mind winter I just hate all the sloppy snow. It's raining here today too.
Since we are retired I guess even if we still lived up north the snow would be ok. But I prefer to live snow-free.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
@AbbyGreenhill The older I get the more I don't like the heat. But I do like to fish and camp so heat it is for that activity. I have always lived here in Illinois, not sure I would be happy without the four seasons.
@fishtiger58 We have 4 seasons...spring lasts a week, fall lasts two weeks, summer is the longest season!
We are ready for a winter that does not want to come. I hope that all the snow that did not fall in December will not fall on one day in January.
You think its holding off to take a huge dump on one day - don't say it out-loud!
@AbbyGreenhill Yes, this is what I am thinking. Today is grey and humid, let's see what is going to do for Christmas.
@LadyDuck Will you be traveling or staying at home?
I remember when we had to jump out the window to get outside. The snow blocked the front door.
@sueznewz2 (9999)
• Alicante, Spain
oohhh dear... now that's what you call deep snow....
e had the most fun in the world sliding off our porch. @sueznewz2 w
@sueznewz2 (9999)
• Alicante, Spain
@sharon6345 that does sound like fun.... its good when you can get some enjoyment out of natures little hiccups....like snow drifts ect....
@Shellyann36 (9885)
Here in NC it is the same but for some reason things have been flip flopping. Last year winter was bad. We are having 70 degree days again this week.
I think once we get in January our 'normal' weather will kick back in.
@AbbyGreenhill I think so too but its looking like flip flops for Christmas.
@Shellyann36 I go barefoot all year so that will work.
I prefer to live without the snow too, but unfortunately won't be the case.
You can't get away from it where you live.
@gudheart (12752)
It already started here awhile ago! Always cold here in the UK lol
Winter will go pretty fast since we get warm air starting late February some years.
@gudheart (12752)
@AbbyGreenhill I actually prefer winter over summer...Strange I know LOL
@gudheart Everyone is strange in one way or another.
I dont like texas summers, but LOVE the winters.
How cold does it get where you are?
@AbbyGreenhill 40s-50s usually, occ lower but not for long
• Shenzhen, China
Our city never have the snow
You are lucky!
Yep the onset of the Winter Solstice and of all things, the creator for weather, Mother nature is confused that this should be like 10,000 years ago, well at least similar to temperatures in 1849 when Cleveland was as warm then as it is now 40-50 degrees !
We have a giant warm blob of air over much of the East and once we get into next month it will most likely go back to temps that are more normal.
What is also important is that from today onwards the days are becoming longer!
We don't get dark now until well after 6:30 pm so it wasn't bad anyway.
Yes I am ready. One grandson sent us messages about how great the skiing is right now. Wish I was there.
I tried skiing once, many many years ago - it wasn't a pretty sight.
brrrr its cold here inmy room Southern C alif is almost freezing this morning and again no rain at all lots of cold Sunshine
I heard it's unusually cold in CA.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
It has always seemed a little odd to me that the Winter Solstice is classed as the first day of winter. The days will gradually become a little longer from now until the Summer Solstice, so despite this not being the coldest of days we have begun to turn a corner.
I guess we associate it with the cold is just starting today...but daylight lasts longer.
It's pretty mild in England for the time of year, but nothing like your temps. We don't get a lot of snow in my part of the country.
You get a lot of rain though don't you.
I am never ready for winter weather. I'm hoping it's milder this year than last*be well*
If you base it on this week than it's warmer, but I don't know what will happen in JanFeb.
@amnabas (10299)
• Karachi, Pakistan
winters are right here too.Though we dont have extreme weather here but it started here somehow.
How cold does it get there?
Yes, I am ready for winter.
Ours have been in the mid 30's lately. Lots of rain and wind. Snow off and on.