A DIFFERENT DISCUSSION OF CHRISTMAS PART 1

ME IN 1988
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I LOVE Christmas and have since the days stores didn't decorate for the holiday until Thanksgiving weekend when Santa appeared magically all over town and the Salvation Army went out in force and didn't take credit cards and the men stood by their big, black kettles ringing bells. It was back in the days when there were Christmas, not holiday, trees and people gleefully yelled "Merry Christmas", not "Happy Holidays". I remember 73 years ago sneaking out to my front yard where we had a tall, huge fir tree and decorating it with balls and silver strips and my mother lamenting, & quote; "What will the neighbors think?" and I didn't care. We lived on Bogart Avenue, between Lydig and Pelham Parkway, the dividing line between the Sharks and the Jets--for those who don't get the reference it separated the Jews from the Italians and our block was made up of both. I didn't think of it as a religious holiday but as a time for peace towards all men. Way back then--in the ice age--you didn't hear songs like "Jingle Bells" until Thanksgiving weekend, certainly not in October as a theme song for a cruise line. The celebration of the Christmas feeling started when you heard Nat King Cole sing, "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..." from The Christmas Song or Judy Garland's sweet, sad voice sang "Have Yourself a Very Merry Christmas" and, of course, wherever you went you heard Der Bingle (Bing Crosby) sing "White Christmas". Christmas wasn't a religious time for a Jewish boy in New York but a time of cold weather, snow flurries, people running here to there with a smile on their face and everyone carrying wrapped packages with bows and ribbons. Of course I had an unfair advantage over my Italian friends because I, also, got to celebrate Hanukkah where children were given geldt (money) and went to the houses (apartments) of their grandparents who had immigrated from Russia and England and were surrounded by very large families and ate and ate and ate, because that is what Jews did on holidays, though I was to learn so did Greeks, Italians, Filipinos, Germans, etc. Again, it wasn't the religion of the holiday that attracted me to attend Christmas midnight mass at St. Patrick's cathedral but the pageantry, the voices of the choir ringing out and the sound of the Latin language, again this was many years ago, echoing through the cathedral. I must confess--hey, it's a Catholic church--that years later, in the 60s, Ronnie, Joe and I use to go for 'camp' reasons--to see Cardinal Spellman all dressed up in his finery, his red robes looking like a gown and, we thought, in all probability, hiding his red, ruby slippers. None of this is meant, or said, in disrespect of the Christmas holiday and its true meaning but looking at an aspect of it that was open to all children who had imagination and loved to see their world almost become magical for 4 weeks--not like now where by the time the holiday comes around you are ready to scream if you hear one more Christmas song because you have been hearing them since August when you started getting the catalogs and the stores were decorated with wreaths and holly even before Halloween. NEXT, PART 2, A MAGICAL TIME/PLACE NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN AND SHOULD BE EXPERIENCED BY EVERYONE AT LEAST ONCE--A MERRY, MERRY CHRISTMAS! ***************************************************************** "With our thoughts we make the world." Buddha 563-483 BC Indian Religious Teacher
Sounds like you were one of the beginners of decorating for the holidays. Your poor mom, huh?
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
"Poor mom"??? She was worried what the neighbors would say, not what her kids wanted!!!
@GreatMartin ...Being facetious.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
@celticeagle We need an icon for that! :O)
I love stories like this Martin - fascinating. Real people, real happenings.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
And the memories are so real even 73 years later! No matter how bad things got--I'll write about that someday--I was always able to remember that time and the feeling I had and still have!
• Riga, Latvia
@GreatMartin Sounds like wonderful memories. I love hearing about things like this. Christmas in NY always made me feel more jolly than it does here in Latvia.
@GreatMartin It's similar for me regarding the memories. I can easily go back to those times (in my head).
@Rosekitty (19499)
• San Marcos, Texas
You made me feel like i was in West Side Story at first and then took me back to being in Milwaukee going to family Greek festivals and food everywhere. I often wondered how this place made my grandpa feel when he arrived from greece through Ellis Island..I wish i got a chance to hear his stories before he passed away when i was 16..
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I had a few years with my grandparents on both sides--one couple from Russia, the other from England--they had completely different stories.
@Rosekitty (19499)
• San Marcos, Texas
@GreatMartin Love hearing yours
@simone10 (22262)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I remember some of that magical feeling when I was a kid and I'm a little sad that my grandkids can't experience it like I did.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
They will have their own memories--like the time Grandma drove all the way from Jonesboro to see them!
@simone10 (22262)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@GreatMartin Lol...I hope so. I can't see them anywhere as often as I would like to but we do the best we can.
what a brilliant post.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Thank you--you obviously have good taste!!! LOL Hope you feel the same about the next 2.
• Marion, Kansas
There was more magic in older days, I agree. It is good to hear your memories and read about the things that were.Merry Christmas!
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I think kids of today have their own magic--only it is on an iphone or computer!!! LOL
@veganbliss (3903)
• Adelaide, Australia
Awesome photo from outta the archives! Thanks for sharing. I knew about the line that the banks used to separate blacks from whites, but I had no idea about the one separating Jews & Italians! Was it by the same people & for the same purpose? Was there apartheid in the USA even then?
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
That's me in 1988 when I was a waiter at the Holiday Inn. It was not apartheid--it was a fight to keep what little each had including dignity. We were not separated by laws but by our own stupidity. If you ever get a chance see "West Side Story" which gives you an idea--and that was based on Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet.
• Portland, Connecticut
It was a different time wasn't it, when Christmas was magical for many reasons and children got to enjoy it.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I hope kids still do--I know it doesn't take much to make me go back to those days whether it is seeing "It's A Wonderful Life" on TV or see the "Grinch" musical on stage like I did last Tuesday! You can read my review here and you'll see what I mean!
For the first time in over 70 years of theatre going, I saw kids in the audience steal the show from a sterling cast of actors! It was about a 10-minute segment
Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays. I heard my parents say Happy Holidays all of those years ago. I am tired of people complaining about it. Sounds like you had a great time as a child.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I say it all to everyone! Yes I did--the only time I did!!
I worked in retail and through out the years they get even earlier and earlier with Christmas decoration. They start as early as August.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
And I got my first Christmas catalog in July!!!
@sgbrown (1682)
This is wonderful! I happened to read part 2 first, but I love this too, it brings back so many memories! I really despise the retailers for putting Christmas out before Halloween!