Today is the Shortest Day of the Year!

winter solstice sun.
@norcal (3264)
Nevada City, California
At least it is for those of us who live in the Northern hemisphere. This is wonderful news to me, because I hate the short dark days of winter. The sun has been hugging the horizon so hard, it is barely up over the trees at high noon. I remember driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark. Thank goodness I don't have to do that anymore. Tomorrow, the day will be just a little bit longer, and then every day after that will be longer and longer, until the summer solstice, which happens around June 21 or 22nd. Photo © Copyright sylvia duckworth and licensed for reuse under CC BY 2.0
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0) Disclaimer This deed highlights only some of the key features and terms of the actual license. It is not a license and has no legal value. You should carefully review all of the terms and c
@Platespinner (19087)
It's been heavily overcast the last couple of days, making that dark last longer and feel like it never goes away. I'm ready for some sunshine!
@norcal (3264)
• Nevada City, California
Clouds do make the days seem even shorter.
The winter solstice was on the 22nd Dec this year, making that the shortest day I think. Hey - who cares? The days will be longer from now on and Spring will soon be here.
@norcal (3264)
• Nevada City, California
You are correct, I was thinking today was the 22nd!
It was still dark when I went to bed around 7:30, and it's usually just barely getting light. It was dark when I woke up at 5 pm, but that is nothing new. The day goes by as I sleep so dark is really a close friend to me.
@norcal (3264)
• Nevada City, California
Is your schedule that way because you work at night, or is that just your natural rhythm?
I noticed it got dark awfully early tonight.
@norcal (3264)
• Nevada City, California
The days have been awfully short for a while now, and it will be a few weeks before they will be noticeably longer.
@cindiowens (3916)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I am happy that longer periods of daylight are coming soon!
@norcal (3264)
• Nevada City, California
Me too! Even though it's going to take some time, at least we are headed in the right direction.
Yes, we should have some longer ones now. I think the time is set back in Fall and Spring to off set these longer and shorter days.
Christmas,
I hate that it gets dark so early. Longer days sound good to me.
I just hope it does not snow for right now. It's too dark for me too early to be honest.
• Preston, England
for many pagans the Winter solstice shortest day point is celebrated rather than Christmas itself