The Day After

@Raelove (16820)
Saco, Maine
I must say that I had a very nice Christmas day with my daughter, her father (my ex), and her two children. We all got some nice gifts. But for me, the best gift of all was having my grandson here. For two years, he'd been living up north in Madawaska with his father. He moved back down here last summer, and it looks like he plans on staying down here awhile. Maine is a large state, and when you live at the other end of it, it's a day's drive here and back. So it's not something that happens often, which is why his being here with us now is so wonderful. When they left yesterday, I cleaned up and still have a few gifts to unpack and put where I want them. I've already taken down what few decorations I had, which is what I always do. I've never liked seeing a tree stripped of its gifts, as that makes me sad. And even though all I had was a small foil tree, it just looked too lonely standing there with nothing around it, so it is packed away for next year. I like the feeling of returning to normal after Christmas. It's a relief and cleans my mental slate so that I can start thinking of other things again besides shopping and buying gifts. (Public Domain Image)
@fishtiger58 (30379)
• Momence, Illinois
How wonderful you got to see you grandson. How old is he? I don't have grandchildren yet but do so enjoy my sister's grandchildren. I see them quite often as they only live 6 miles from me. My sister lives about 25 miles from them but sees them often as well.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
My grandson just turned 20 last week, and he's completely remade his life over, so he's happier than he has been in a long time. He was my best gift!
@fishtiger58 (30379)
• Momence, Illinois
@Raelove Oh yes the best gift ever. I am very happy that you got to see him, and that he may stay.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@fishtiger58 Thanks. I hope he does.
I'm glad that you had such a heart-warming Christmas Day, that sounds so sweet! I can relate to you with the mental hangover, I feel that way too. I just want to veg and move slowly and eat less today. Sadly, I do have to go into work for 5 hours, so my mental abilities will be tested I'm afraid.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Hopefully those 5 hours will fly by, so you can be back home vegging.
@Raelove They did fly by, and my husband has laundry going and supper cooking. We are now waiting for our son to roll in any minute. We'll visit and then eat and relax and visit some more.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@Juliaacv Sounds like a lovely evening.
Sounds like you had a terrific day yesterday with family. So nice for you Rachel. Yes Maine is a big state as I recall.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
It is. It's an 8-hour drive from here in the southern part of the state to Madawaska, which is near the Canadian border. So it's not just a drive across town.
@Raelove Yes I have driven all the way up to the border of Canada when living in the Northeast ..I recall it well.
Glad that you had a lovely time. I can't wait for January 2nd, which to me is the best day.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Same here. That really is the start of something new.
I had a nice day with my family, but I am glad it's over. The decorations will go down the 6th of January.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I am always glad when it's over, too.
@silvermist (19802)
@Raelove Glad to know you are happy with your best gift.So Christmas is over.Now it will be New Year.