Cheese It, the Cops!

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
I was up about an hour this morning and still not dressed when I saw a police cruiser pull up near my car. When I saw the officer headed for my door, I opened the door before he could ring the bell. He asked me if I was all right and if I had lost my cell phone. He seemed as confused as I felt at that moment. I said, "Um, no, I'm all right, and here's my cell phone right here." He replied, "Oh, you didn't call us?" I said, "No, not me." He smiled and apologized and said that whoever had called had given my apartment number. He went back out to his cruiser and left. Within moments, he returned with another cruiser behind him. Then, a third one showed up, and they all went to apartment 4, which seemed to be where the problem actually was. I learned later that the lady there was "very confused and gave out number 10," so they were getting her help. The ambulance is here now, apparently taking her to the hospital. When the first cop was leaving, I went out to the cruiser to tell him that I had been concerned when he told me it was my apartment number that had been given out. This place was once a crime scene, as the person living here was charged with murder and was given a life sentence in prison. I heard gossip since I moved in here that her homeless brother had been here a few times, so I mentioned that to the officer. I thought at first that it might be connected to that, but turns out it wasn't. It was a case of an elderly lady thinking she'd had her phone stolen. And from the looks of it, she has enough other problems to warrent intervention. I'm glad it was nothing more serious and that it didn't involve me! But knowing what went on here before I moved in has prompted me to always be aware of what's going on around me. Better to be safe than sorry. (Public Domain Image)
It is amazing all that many cop cars for something like a cell phone.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Ya! Made me wonder what else was happening at the other end of town while these 3 were here!
@Raelove Ah well at least they showed up.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@TiarasOceanView That's right.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
That one is a little scary. I am glad it all worked out and they were able to find the person who actually called and get her some help.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, so am I. I was relieved when I learned that it was just a mistake made by a confused woman who got her apartment numbers mixed up.
You are right, better safe then sorry. Glad that everything is all right.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. I didn't say anymore activity around there later in the day, so I am assuming all is under control.
Such excitement after Christmas
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Ya, I know. The police and rescue spent quite a bit of time here, and other cars pulled in, whom I am sure were the woman's family. It will be the talk of the "mail group" later today in the common area, I'm sure.
I am not scared by police, because I know that I did nothing wrong, but this is not the best way to start a day.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
No, they didn't scare me either. Just seemed strange that they'd come to my door when I am the last person to commit a crime!
Please be careful.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, I am, Marie. Believe me.
Wow, you had a lot of excitement. I think living in your apartment would give me the creeps.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Living here doesn't bother, as I love it. And I've no reason to ever be concerned. This was a bit disconcerting till I found out what really was going on. But that's only smart, as I was waiting to see what was going on before I allowed myself to worry.
Not a pleasant visit on Christmas Day!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
This happened this morning. Yesterday was Christmas day. But at least it wasn't anything that concerned me. And this officer was extremely courteous and friendly.
@louievill (18659)
I'm glad it's just that but incidents like that seem to raise our blood pressure a little bit. have a nice and safe day, hope the homeless man no longer lurks around.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I've never seen him. But there's always gossip in places like this, so it doesn't hurt to just keep certain things in mind.
@Elizaby (3658)
• Pensacola, Florida
It is always good to be careful even in places that are not known for crime scenes. (I don't think I would have move there if I knew it was a crime scene before I moved in.)
Glad it was just a misunderstanding, but that is scary the last person living there had such a background though!