Why we said 'no' during a previous house hunt

Before we moved to Tennessee we spent 3 days house hunting. We saw over 30 homes in those three days. We wound up buying the last house we toured, which was the one I wanted in the first place as soon as I saw the photos online...but that's not what this is about. We pulled up to a house at the lake....a very nice large ranch house with a decent size yard and partially fenced. There was enough room for a pool and a workshop and the price of the house was very reasonable. The trouble began when we tried to enter the front door - it fell off the hinges. That's when our realtor called the listing agent and she told us to stay put until she got there. No problem. Once she arrived we toured the home and I must say the rooms were huge, the great room was truly great. The master bedroom was the biggest I've ever seen. When we got to the master closet I noticed all the baseball caps lined up on a shelf, all by color. Then there were shelves full of Video tapes all labeled by hand and they were alphabetical. As we went back through the great room again I noticed a rather large dark brown stain on the carpet...the more I looked at it the more strange feelings ran through me. Something was wrong for sure, something happened there, but I didn't know what exactly. Since our realtor smoked heavily we were in two separate cars. When we got back to her office she had a strange look on her face. We were her first clients - her real job at the time was ER nurse. She said she should have realized whose home that was..... There was a second home near the one for sale. It turned out the parents lived in the other home and the son in the one we toured. He was an only child and had several issues. He was OCD, as reflected in the video tapes and baseball caps. But he was also very lonely. He was overweight and had no friends. His parents were always traveling so he had one, or so the story goes. Now to the stain on the carpet in the great-room - that's where he committed suicide. Our realtor had been on duty in the ER when he was brought to the hospital. He died at the house, on that brown spot on the carpet. The door was off the hinges because that's how the authorities got in to check on him...but it was too late. There was an answering machine with the light blinking...his message was still playing. His parents were so upset they couldn't face going into the home to clean or even empty the fridge and it had been months since his death. It wasn't the home for us, I never would have felt comfortable there for several reasons.
@LoriAMoore (4882)
What a sad story, and the realtor selling the house for the family should have cleaned it all up before listing it. Glad you found another house you liked.
I find it strange that the listing agent did not take care of fixing things first.
Yes, the realtor should have had a pro cleaning team to in...eventually she did do that. Maybe she thought no one would notice....chills running down my arms.
@HazySue (18495)
@AbbyGreenhill I think I would have had to give that house a pass too.
It was strange, it did eventually sell.
@HazySue (18495)
@AbbyGreenhill I do wonder why the agents didn't clean up before showing the house. It's bad business to do it without.
@HazySue There was a reason, but that was in April of 2001 and my memory of the whole incident is buried someplace! There was an article in the paper that I found online back then but now I can't find it again.
How sad. the parents should have hired someone to clean the house up and empty it out.
At least put a throw rug over the large blood stain.
@Asylum (48357)
• Manchester, England
The door falling off is not the best start when viewing a potential new home.
You got that right, and that turned out to be the better part of the truth story.
how sad, sounds like that house needs a good cleaning out, and a good cleansing.
I hope that happened before they found buyers!
@AbbyGreenhill no kidding, there are companies that would come clean it up and out. and maybe a priest for the cleansing part
@Jessicalynnt I blocked that house out of my mind for a long time, and now that it surfaced again I can't stop thinking about it.
@boiboing (12261)
• Northampton, England
What kind of realtor shows a house without preparing it properly? That was ridiculous.
Yes, it was a waste of time. I have a feeling that we were the first to see it...maybe because we were from out of state (many states away) they let us look knowing it wouldn't show well...I have no clue why it was done like that.
@boiboing (12261)
• Northampton, England
@AbbyGreenhill perhaps they thought you were less likely to know about the house and it's history.
@boiboing That's what my husband said too. Little did they know we'd wind up with an ER Nurse/realtor!
I can understand very well your feelings, when we toured in search of a house, the realtor stopped in front of one and I felt something wrong, I refused to enter. Later I learned that an old wealthy lady owned the house and her younger boyfriend had killed her in that house.
See, you had a gut feeling too and you were right. If I had known from the beginning I probably would not have looked at the house to begin with.
@AbbyGreenhill I did not even wanted to enter, I had a weird feeling and I was right.