Absolutely Amazing

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
I headed out today primarily to get some kitty litter, as I didn't want to have to go out in the storm tomorrow or on Wednesday when it's supposed to be icy. My original intention was to go to Family Dollar, as they sell litter for $1 a bag. Somehow, though, I got distracted and ended up at Dollar Tree. While browsing in there, I found the same kitty litter, which meant I had no reason to go to Family Dollar. I was also able to get the few other things I needed there as well. I am consistently amazed at the things I can buy at Dollar Tree. They were in the process of getting rid of their Christmas merchandise, so I saw a lot of empty bins and shelves. But I noticed how they keep adding new things all the times, and many brand-name items as well. I was even able to buy a decent bath mat there to replace the worn one I've been using. And like everything else there, the price was right! Not long ago, I started replacing my kitchen and bath linens there, too. Why not? Where else can you buy two facecloths for a dollar? I have also been looking for something to put on a bare wall above my TV set, but I didn't want anything gaudy or childish. I lucked out again and found two small framed prints of autumn leaves done in negative relief against dark backgrounds. They fit perfectly on that wall! The store we have here in town in rather small, but I've heard they may be expanding soon, as there is vacant store space right next door. Sometimes I travel to Sanford, which is a 20-minute drive from here. But their Dollar Tree is twice the size of this one, with nice clear wide aisles and a much greater variety of items. I used to miss the passing of what we used to call Five-and-Ten-Cent stores like Woolworth's and Fishmans. Someone apparently picked up on the idea and decided that people would really go for a store where everything cost just $1. Whoever that was, they were right! They've got my vote AND my dollars! (Public Domain Image)
We have dollar stores here also in Canada but their prices went up. Not everything is a dollar anymore.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That's what I like about Dollar Tree. I do shop at other so-called dollar stores, but I'm careful what I buy, as sometimes their prices aren't as low as Walmart's.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@LoriAMoore Yes they are, and it's crazy to pay those prices when we don't have to.
I love shopping at the Dollar Store and sometimes it amazes me what they can sell for $1.
I get some things at Dollar General, but very few of those items are a dollar. I wish Woolworth's or Grants' was still in business!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
So do I. I'd forgotten Grant's. We had one of those here, too, till a big grocery store chain bought the shopping center out and built a huge supermarket there. I like Dollar General. While not everything is a dollar there, they do have good prices on lots of things, and a shelf of dollar items.
@Raelove I get some cleaning stuff plus toothpaste and Listerine. They sell the huge bottle for 5.50 and grocery store want's almost 9 for the same size.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill Grocery prices on non-food items can be completely ridiculous. Makes me wonder why anyone buys any of that stuff there anymore.
I love wandering through these sorts of stores. I'm always surprised at the things I didn't know I needed
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That's the thing. But where else can you come out with a big bag of stuff you "didn't need" for under $10?
@LoriAMoore @Raelove But they cost so little you don't feel bad about it - at all!!
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
We have a Family Dollar and a General Dollar store in our small, little town @Raelove . I found the Family Dollar is better in price. A 20-lb bag of litter is $5.50 and I can get 5 cans of 9Lives for $2.00. Considering I have 12 indoor, 2 outdoor and I take care of a couple of abandoned cats up the road, I need all the savings I can get.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I prefer Dollar General, though I do have a few things I buy regularly at Family Dollar, too. Any store with the word "Dollar" in its logo gets my attention!
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Raelove I just wish the term 'dollar' was applicable for every item. But I realize that an 11-pd bag of cat crunchies for a dollar wouldn't be possible.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@nanette64 No, it wouldn't. Which is why I go to Dollar Tree a lot. I have just the one cat, so she's cheap to buy for. While she doesn't like their brand of dry cat food, they do sometimes have cans of Sheba at 2/$1. I buy all my cleaning and personal and paper goods there, and they also have food now, too, AND take the EBT card.
I've found some nice things when I go there, though that isn't very often.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I go there at least once a week, sometimes just to browse. But I almost always leave there with something, even if it is only toilet paper, which I hate running out of.
@Raelove I think that sentiment is shared by all.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That sounds like a great shopping trip. I liked the privately owned dollar or two stores that we used to have before the big dollar store chains arrived. They used to have a much better selection for a dollar or under, our Dollarama is 1.25 and up and our Dollar Tree is just a dollar.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
We had another one here called Just A Buck. It closed, though I don't know why. It wasn't of the same caliber as the others, which is probably why.
that's great that you found those photos today
• Pleasant Hill, California
I get stuff like dish soap at the Dollar Store or Dollar Tree. But my favorite Dollar Store "special" is the Parrot Brand Coconut Juice that they have at the one in Berkeley.