A present that did not hit the mark.

Greece
I gave two of my friends heat bags which I made for them for Christmas. The first friend said that she appreciated the thought but did not have a microwave to heat it in! I rang the second one, feeling apprehensive. however she did have a microwave and she loved the bag. I'm going to suggest that my friend who does not have a mw returns the bag as it is of no use to her. she has a soft spot for my jewelry making efforts so I am now making a replacement present in the form of some nice blue earrings which will match her eyes.
@sallypup (25903)
• Moses Lake, Washington
No microwave here, either. I wonder if a person could make a battery operated bag?
• Marion, Kansas
It is possible I bet to put it in a crock pot.
@sallypup (25903)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@GardenGerty I live on another planet. I mean it when I say that I have a steamer so maybe I could warm the bag in there cause I do not have a crock pot, either.
• Greece
Now there is a thought ....
@patgalca (14236)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I would appreciate a heat bag even though I have a bunch of them because eventually they wear or burn out. I'd also appreciate jewelry too. One question though, can the "heat" bags also be frozen. I have some that can be heated or cooled and keep those ones in the freezer to use when I have a bad headache.
• Marion, Kansas
That was my thought. My daughter in law made one for me for Christmas that has herbs in it also. It can be used on the table under a hot pot, or heated in the microwave, or chilled.
@patgalca (14236)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@GardenGerty My freezer bags have herbs in them as well.
• Greece
I have never had one burn out, but I only heat for 3 minutes. I put mine in the freezer and it cools my neck and I suspect my brain on hot days...mine is wheat and I only use 100% cotton materials for the bags.
@nonersays (2688)
Hmm. A heat bag sounds good to me. A huge one, to fit my back. But I do have a microwave. It is nice of you to make her a replacement gift.
• Marion, Kansas
I actually had the same thought today @nonersays
• Greece
A huge one would be heavy!
@nonersays (2688)
@41CombedaleRoad Can I ask, What do you fill yours with?
I think it is nice that she told you she wouldn't be able to use the gift. Much better than telling a white lie. I'm glad you weren't offended. I'm sure she'll love some jewellry.
• Greece
She didn't spell it out she said she could warm it up on the radiator! I knew that wouldn't work. In the past she has given me old necklaces that she no longer wears and I have returned the beads as earrings, and she loves them. so I know she will like the replacement gift.
@boiboing (12218)
• Northampton, England
I'm never sure whether it's better to know or not. But probably she did the right thing to tell you.
• Greece
I prefer to know, the longer the truth is hidden the worse it is when all is revealed...
I've noticed that everyone thinks we all have microwaves, I don't have one because I don't like the idea that it could be harmful. Yeah, I'm a PC kinda geeky person but I still think anything that heats food without the use of a stove or fire can't be healthy, like those early cells phones they say caused brain tumors.
• Greece
I must admit to some doubts myself especially as my microwave is an old one.
Just make sure never to use it if you have someone over with a pacemaker @41CombedaleRoad
I thought everybody had a microwave! Anyway, I'm sure she will appreciate some earrings.
@Marcyaz (35792)
She I am sure will appreciate the earnings but like you I thought everyone had a microwave. @jaboUK
• Greece
I thought the same thing but apparently her husband thinks that they are a health hazard.
She did the right thing to inform you, at least you can make a replacement gift.
@Marcyaz (35792)
Very true she did do the right thing to let her know and now will receive a gift she can like. LadyDuck
• Greece
I have already made it, and spoken to her and she is returning the heat bag and I am giving her some earrings.
@poehere (17753)
• French Polynesia
That is so sweet and kind of you to do this for her. I am sure she will really appreciate this and thank you for your kind efforts.
• Greece
She is a very nice woman to have for a friend and it was a pleasure to give her something more suitable.
@Morleyhunt (19191)
That is one thing we assume everyone has. It is thoughtful of you to replace the gift with one she can use.
• Greece
This Sunday I was wearing a scarf she knitted for me and she was wearing some earrings I had made for her! We have developed that kind of a good relationship.
@KristenH (22830)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Sorry to hear that. One's better than none. But at least you're giving jewelry in place of the heat bag. I'm sure she'll love the earrings.
Very kind of you to replace the gift.
That is very thoughtful of you.
• Greece
Friendships are precious but subject to misunderstanding so a little thoughtfulness can go a long way, as I am sure you agree,.
@41CombedaleRoad ....I certainly do. They are to be treasured.
Now you can give that one to someone else in the future.
• Greece
I have a friend with MS and I am going to give it to him as he gets cold being confined to a wheelchair.
@41CombedaleRoad Good idea, my husband has a cousin with MS and I know she always has the chills.
• Portland, Connecticut
It is so thoughtful of you to make the gifts that you give for Christmas. I hope she returns the bag to you so you can regift it to someone who can use it
• Greece
She is returning it on Sunday when I am going to replace it with something I know she will like.
Even if she doesn't return the bag, the gesture of making her the earrings is a wonderful idea. Maybe one day she will get a microwave.
• Greece
The choice of being without a microwave is not hers to make unfortunately.
@Raine38 (9032)
It's nice to know that despite that, you guys were able to work on the gift thing. I don't know if I have her heart and courage to tell my friend that I cannot use her gift to me, but wouldn't it be insulting to her if I lie to her? I know this will be my struggle. I hate offending friends, but I also hate to cover it with a lie.
• Greece
I would find it difficult to tell a friend that the gift was not usable too, but she only half told me and I guessed the rest so it was a mutual understanding.
@DeborahDiane (19233)
• Laguna Woods, California
You sound very thoughtful. It is nice that you are going to give her a different gift.
@bluesa (13432)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
What a pity she did not have a microwave, but it is wonderful you could make those earrings for her. :-)
The one who has no microwave should take the will for the deed.You are nice enough to replace it with another one .