Gone Again

Hubby had a serious nose bleed in the night. He is still going to work but he wants me to go in with him, just in case. He has not had this problem in a long time. So mostly I will be gone again today. Hope you have a good one. I cannot decide if I am taking my laptop. Guess time will tell.
My husband went thru a period of time when he had horrible nose bleeds. We were on our way to New Jersey for family business and he wound up at the ER in a Virginia hospital. He had bled all over our motel room - it looked like a Halloween II movie or something. He had taken too many Advil's and it thinned his blood - now he can only take Tylenol and never had the problem again.
He only will take Tylenol. He just is naturally prone to these. When he does what the doctor says and uses nasal saline spray frequently in the winter he does not get them any more.
@GardenGerty My hsuband hasn't had one since that bad one - hey put a balloon up his nose and he had to keep it in for a week. We had to find a specialist in Jersey - went daily for check-ups...
@AbbyGreenhill Bob had to have the bleeders cauterized when he was about seventeen and continued to have problems most of his adult life.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
I hope it's nothing too serious.
He used to have a lot of nose bleeds, but we have had it under control pretty much. It is from all the dry air, and maybe dehydration.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@GardenGerty Yup the dry air will do it, I get sores in my nose from the dry air during the winter months. I hate that they hurt.
@fishtiger58 Try Ayr nasal saline gel. It helps Bob a lot. We used it with my diabetic clients.
I was forever having nosebleeds in my teens. I still get them occasionally but have learnt to deal with them better I guess.
Self care measures involve using a nasal saline spray and increasing intake of vitamin C. He had to be cauterized as a teen. Thirty five years after graduating the school nurse remembered him and his nosebleeds.
@GardenGerty I had my nose cauterized in my teens too. It used to freak me out a bit but they are nowhere near as bad now.
@JudyEv When I met Bob I got him to take vitamin C and that took care of most of them. Once in a while we end up with one, but it has been about a year.
@sishy7 (27606)
Hope he's alright. I've been away from here for almost 2 weeks now...
He is fine now. You need to be back here a little more. Happy New Year. I know it comes there first.
@sishy7 (27606)
@GardenGerty Happy New Year to you too! I just got back from holidays and am trying to get back a routine on here.
Why the nose bleeds?
He has had them all of his life. He does not take aspirin because of this. We have some self care measures he is supposed to do and we think he got too hot the other night.
@GardenGerty ...I get them in the heat sometimes because the inside of my nose dries up so bad. Sorry for the gross visual.
Do you have a vaporizer or humidifier in your home? If not and want to add moisture to the air, you can put a pan of water to boil on your stove. I add orange peel to it and it also gives a nice citrus aroma too.
I run the kettle, and have started hanging the laundry up damp. I have done the citrus and cinnamon simmer in the past. I cannot do it overnight, though, for fear of it boiling dry.
@GardenGerty Placing bowls of water throughout the house will also help. I have placed them near heat sources so they will evaporate and add moisture to the room.
@nonersays (2757)
Oh no! I hope he gets through the day (and night) without any more nose bleeds. I see that you did take your laptop. I hope the day passes quickly.
He had another nose bleed when he went to bed that night. We have a heated mattress pad and he runs it on high, usually not a problem but he took a hot shower. I think he got too hot. He was fine at work.
@nonersays (2757)
@GardenGerty He might want to be a little less heated and see if that helps. I hope you guys can have a peaceful non-bloody night tonight.
I'm sorry he had a serious nose bleed. Was it perhaps caused by the weather?
The air gets dry and I think he turns up the heat on his side of the mattress and it makes him have nose bleeds.
@GardenGerty Dry air can do a lot of different things to the body. I've had nose bleeds to because of the air in the house.
@Raine38 (9193)
Nose bleeds freak me out. The only times I have nose bleeds is when I have been put under the sun for a long time or when I have a really high grade fever. I guess it's my body's way of saying I am on the verge of a heat stroke, of that my body cannot take the high temperature anymore so I should do something. I hope your husband gets better soon, and the cause of the nose bleeding will be addressed. It can be nothing at all, but it wouldn't hurt to double check for you peace of mind. Good luck and keep us posted.
When you are too hot or in dry air too much the capillaries dry out and you get nose bleeds a lot. The weather is cold and the heat is running a lot, so he is going to use nasal saline spray more for a while.
@Raine38 we think he is causing this in part by taking hot baths at night. He usually showers in the morning and is fine. Your comment clued me in to the fact he is probably getting too hot.
@saurabhrmp (2115)
• Hyderabad, India
No problem, you go with your husband and I think your husband has not having big problem. Had you consulted with doctor?
This is an on again off again problem. He has had it since childhood and has seen doctors. It has been a long time since he had one, and he will take extra vitamins, drink more water and use a saline rinse. This is what he has been told to do.
• Hyderabad, India
@GardenGerty ; oh hope your husband recovered soon.
@jillhill (37383)
Hope he is okay. My granddaughter has that problem in the winter because of the dry air. When my son was small he also had bloody noses but since he is now an adult not so much.
In addition to using nasal saline spray in the day time, and nasal saline gel at night, and taking vitamin C, we have started covering the hot air vent in out bedroom with a wet towel. So we are doing well now.
I hate nose bleeds, I have been getting them these few past days. My nose bleeds are no fun, they are non-stop, dripping and would never stop. I hope your husband got better by now!
He is doing much better. Our doctor told him to use the nasal saline spray ( like Ocean or Ayr) several times daily. He does not take NSAIDs at all. Also increasing vitamin C helps. You sound like you are having a serious problem with them.
He should have seen a doctor before going to work .
He has seen the doctor for this before and will do as he was told. We think we have the problem figured out, though. Thanks. Have a great New Year.
@winterose (39918)
I hope all went well with your husband today
He was okay. It started again after he took a hot shower in the evening then crawled into a bed with a heating mattress cover. We think getting too hot is causing it.
@kevin1877uk (36964)
Sorry ot hear about the nose bleed.
Yeah, it is almost the only health problem he has.
@GardenGerty I hope he is okay. Keep us posted.
He says he is okay. In fact he does not remember telling me he wanted me to come with him, but here I am. I did bring my laptop.
I hope it's nothing serious with your husband, and that he doesn't have any more.
This is an ongoing problem all of his life. He does not remember telling me I should come in to town with him. He has done and is doing the things that doctors have told him to do.
Hope hubby is okay
Hubby is okay now. I suppose it is from the winter dryness. We have several ways to approach his nose bleeds.
I am sorry for your husband, do you know which is the problem? Take your laptop.
He seems to have very brittle capillaries and always has had. It has been a long time since he had a nosebleed. I did bring my laptop.
I hope that you did take your laptop with you to kill time.
Yep, here I am tap tap tapping but I would like to be nap nap napping.