Surprise Birthday Party Planned

@msiduri (5749)
My family doesn’t read my posts so this is safe to write about. My mother will be turning 75 the first week of January. The four of us kids are planning a surprise party for her. We’ll meet up at my brother’s house in Tucson then take her to lunch. One of my sisters is coming from Alaska. As she says, “We’re a long way from anywhere.” This should be nice and I’m sure Mom will be surprised. It’s an 8-hour drive, but most of it is open space so between me and my husband, it won’t be a big deal. We’ve done it before and lived to tell the tale. I’m looking forward to this.
You are giving your mother the most precious thing in the world, - the company of her children. When you get to that age, the fact that your kids think about you and love you is the most important thing in the world. (I'm 76, and I know that my own children would do anything in the world for me, so I know what I'm talking about.)
@msiduri (5749)
That's sweet, @jaboUK. I hope she thinks so, too and doesn't feel obligated. Just enjoys her lunch. And lots and lots of pictures.
@jabouk spending time with my children is also the greatest gift for me too
@msiduri (5749)
@Marilynda1225 I hope you get the chance to do that as often as you like. There's no substitute for being with a person.
@Marcyaz (35651)
Your mother will be absolutely thrilled with the idea.
@msiduri (5749)
I hope so. I think she'll be so surprised she may not know what to do.
@Marcyaz (35651)
@msiduri Let's hope she doesn't start to cry she is so happy.
@msiduri (5749)
@Marcyaz No, she won't cry. She'll laugh.
@amnabas (10309)
• Karachi, Pakistan
You must be super excited I hope your mom get delighted by your surprise.
@msiduri (5749)
Thanks, @amnabas. I'm looking forward to it and to seeing my brother and my sisters. I hope Mom will be happy to see us all again.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
Sounds wonderful. 8 hours is not so bad. Your sister has a much longer trip. Have a most enjoyable time.
@msiduri (5749)
Thank you. Yes. My sister does. She'll stay a little longer. I checked the weather. It's 4°F in her neck of the woods, 37 in Tucson. It was about -30 earlier. It gets very, very cold there. But they have fantastic northern lights. I haven't seen them since I was a kid and my husband has never seen them. Fat chance getting him to Alaska in the winter, though.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@msiduri Well Tucson will feel like a heat wave to her. I have never seen the northern lights either but would so love to.
@msiduri (5749)
@fishtiger58 When her kids were down here in California for my wedding this spring, is got into the 90s. My niece's comment was, "How do people live like this?" I hope you get the chance to see the northern lights. When I was a kid, my uncle walked us out onto frozen Lake Superior. It was really quite nice.
What a wonderful surprise for you mom. Wishing her a wonderful 75th birthday
@msiduri (5749)
Thank you! That's very kind of you.
@sishy7 (27631)
Sounds like a sweet surprise for your mom and wonderful reunion for the family...
@msiduri (5749)
Yes! I hope so. I'm sure she'll be surprised. And happy. It will be especially poignant. She's the last of her brothers and sisters. Her last brother just passed away in November.
What a wonderful surprise for your mother! Hope you all have a wonderful time.
@msiduri (5749)
@JudyEv Thank you! I'm looking forward to it.
@Raine38 (9116)
That is so sweet of you guys to come together to celebrate your mother's birthday. I am sure that this will be the greatest birthday gift ever for her. I commend you all for taking the time and trouble to be with her.
@msiduri (5749)
That's sweet of you. If Mom enjoys herself, it'll be a success.
@Morleyhunt (19857)
Nice plans. Don't count on your family not reading your posts. On another site one sibling thought he was alone. After several months he discovered that two sisters and assorted nieces and nephews were writin under aliases.
@msiduri (5749)
Oh. What a surprise that must have been! I'm pretty sure they don't read anything I write. *sigh*
Great that you can all get together to celebrate your mother's birthday. We try to get together every year for our mother's birthday. We live close to each other so if the weather permits we hold it outdoors and have a cookout.
@msiduri (5749)
That's great. We are pretty scattered. The four of us were together for the first time in 30 years at my wedding this past spring.