That Expired When?

@Morleyhunt (19724)
The adventures of cleaning out someone else's fridge made me realize, I have some hoarding tendancies. Just this past week I discovered all the tea packets in my cupboard had expired three years ago. (Can you tell, I don't drink tea?) Just over a month ago @Platespinner and I cleaned out the fridge at our parents house. We threw away many foods that had expired. Some as much as ten years ago. My father just does not comprehend that eating some of these foods could make him ill. Just recently, they both experienced some serious food poisoning, but my dad doesn't see the connection. Every time I suggest something needs to be thrown out I get a song and dance, and am not 'permitted' to dispose of the expired item. Today, packing another cupboard, I just put everything into a box and took it home. While he was napping, I disposed of two cans of mandarin oranges, that expires five years ago (both cans were bulging), and two unopened bottles of barbecue sauce, expired eight and nine years ago. Not drawing attention to what I put into the box and discreetly tossing it into the trash, might make this process a little less painful for both of us.
Some things that expire are not bad, but they may have lost some of the flavor or nutrients. We also have old tea here, because my husband stocked up on it (knowing that I don't drink tea) and then he started drinking my coffee. I think he still kept the tea, he believes he will drink it, I guess.
@Morleyhunt (19724)
I've seen odd things happen when you use expired food to prepare a meal.
@Morleyhunt Yeah, but like I said, it depends on the product.
Some things need to be disposed of. I do eat many things that say they are expired though. I am going on a mission to eat everything up so no one else has to do it.
@Morleyhunt (19724)
I will eat expired food, but 5 years or more? I don't think so.
@sueznewz2 (9883)
• Alicante, Spain
@paigea. good idea....i'll do the same, we don't want people getting sick do we ... ??
@sueznewz2 (9883)
• Alicante, Spain
ohh well done... that's a good way of doing it...., less stress to you all... there is a saying... what the eye does not see, the heart will not grieve over....I think ig true fof youf Dad in this instance...
@Morleyhunt (19724)
So far, he has not noticed me discreetly disposing of expired foods. Let's hope he never notices.
@Platespinner (16510)
It sounds like you've happened on a solution. Odds are if he hasn't eaten it in the 5 years since it expired, he won't notice if it is stealthily disposed of. That reminds me of de-junking my children's rooms a few years ago.
@Morleyhunt (19724)
He is not aware of the things I have disposed of. Once the garbage man picks up the tras on Saturday, it will be truly gone.
That sounds like the thing to do - not let him know.
@Morleyhunt (19724)
I threw away $2.50 worth of roast beef when I cleaned out the fridge. I eventually bought him a new package. I was tired of listening to him complain about it.
lol I have to admit that I find things in my pantry and fridge that astonish me since I really do clean them regularly!!
@Morleyhunt (19724)
It's the science experiments hiding in the fridge that always catch me by surprise.
I love it when I can't tell what it was originally. @Morleyhunt lol
@mawhite (242)
Oh my gosh my mother used to be like that! When I'd go to visit her, I'd throw out her severely expired food while she was sleeping. Thankfully she never noticed it gone, but she had the same issue with things being expired years and years ago in her pantry.
@Morleyhunt (19724)
My son in law helped clean out an elderly aunts kitchen. He was about 23 at that time. He found a box of Kraft Dinner, that was older than he was, lol.
@mawhite (242)
@Morleyhunt That literally made me laugh out loud, oh my gosh!!
@Darroch (245)
Think by the sound of it you are doing the sensible thing by discreetly getting rid of well out of date items without your dad knowing. I know my mum can be pretty bad for keeping things well out of date. My sister and I did likewise with tins in my mum's house a little while back. I know personally I try to go through my cupboards every few months and bring out any food close to date (or even just out of date) so I can make sure I use it before it is too far out of date.
@Morleyhunt (19724)
I am not adverse to using (eating) food that is out of date, but really. Things that expired years ago are just not worth getting sick over.
• Midland, Michigan
My daughter gets upset with me when I don't want to throw out something that expired last week just yet. I'd never keep anything quite that long. I did use some Pam, a spray on oil, for those of you unfamiliar with Pam, and I thought it was from 2013, so only used a little bit. I didn't get sick. Later I bought a new can of it and looked over the one in the cupboard once again. I found it expired last January. At least it wasn't two years old as I first thought. I replaced it and threw out the old. Problem is, I don't use that very often. I have been going through my cupboards and throwing out certain things that are older.
@Morleyhunt (19724)
I find things in the back of cupboards from time to time, but I know enough to get rid of them.
You're probably better off not letting him know that you are throwing away food. I know my mom won't throw any food away and I think this mostly comes from growing up in the depression. We argue about expired food all the time too.
@Morleyhunt (19724)
I've told hom often enough, we have plenty of good food, why risk eating something that might make you sick.
Smart move of you doing it this way.
@Morleyhunt (19724)
More like self preservation.
@richnonai (501)
• Pattaya, Thailand
Hi Morley! I think you did the correct thing and used your (unexpired) noodle to wait until he was napping! The only thing that (to my knowledge) is good for about 5 or so years after expiration is medicine that is in pill form.
@Morleyhunt (19724)
I feel like my noodle is fast reaching its expiration date.
Eek! My dad had mentioned the possible age of items in their home at one point. While time consuming, I am sure your approach will be much less stressful.
@Morleyhunt (19724)
As I told another reader, it's a matter of self preservation.
@suzzy3 (8362)
He has probably forgotten most things and will not miss them. My Mother in law was the same , how they suffered with tummy upsets. We stopped eating there years before they both passed away. I think it comes from being so poor as children when food was scarce they were always hungry as kids. No social security in those days .