Fed Up With Wasting Food

@suzzy3 (8357)
I had to throw half a cabbage , two parsnips and various other vegetables from my fridge. It is only me and my husband now as my youngest son moved out with his girlfriend in August. So we have come to the conclusion it will be frozen vegetables from now on. After all they are just as healthy as fresh most of the veg are picked and frozen in two hours so have no time to break down. With frozen veg we can just use exactly the right amount leaving the remainder for another day. So that is another adjustment to being just two.
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
I hate waste. Those would have gone into soup in our house.
@suzzy3 (8357)
Some of it was to far gone. I have made gallons of soup already , the cabbage , and broccoli was moldy.
@boiboing, same here, everything would have gone into a big pot of soup which I then refreeze in smaller portions. Delicioso!
@Marcyaz (35606)
You can make a lot of soup but maybe she had way to many for that. @boiboing
@Marcyaz (35606)
I sometimes have to throw out foods also but I hate doing so as it seems so wasteful to do that.
@suzzy3 (8357)
So many people are using food banks and I am throwing stuff away , I feel ashamed of myself.
I do not waste anything. It rarely happens at all. I just used the last of the Christmas Ham and made some concoction with it with brown rice tomatoes and cheese.
@Marcyaz (35606)
@suzzy3 Don't you wish you knew someone who you could give the leftovers to.
I am trying to make more effort to use food before it goes bad too. Such a waste.
@Marcyaz (35606)
It is a waste but sometimes I forget what I have in the fridge. @paigea
@Marcyaz that is exactly what happens to me. I am going to make a better effort to keep track
@suzzy3 (8357)
I think we all have to cut down on waste especially when so many are using food banks.
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@suzzy3 , I think frozen veg is the best if it is not big meals being made, and sometimes adding frozen mixed veggies to soup and so makes a quick tasty meal.
@suzzy3 (8357)
Frozen veg and tinned veg is just as good for you as fresh. I only cook what I need then put the rest back in the freezer for another day.
yes,we have the same problem here.Just the two of us.But we are not doing too bad
@suzzy3 (8357)
I am making the effort to do better. All those years of buying tons of fruit and veg must just learn to break the habit.
@UncleJoe (10872)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
A wise decision.
@suzzy3 (8357)
Thank you I am going to write a list before I go shopping. I have been so used to buying a ton of food.. I have to break the habit with only the two of us now. Everything used to get used when Dave and Hannah lived here.
I came to the same conclusion a long time ago, and it's only my husband that eats them anyway - I only eat peas.
@suzzy3 (8357)
You can only make so much soup out of old veg. The trouble is my freezer shelf is full and it is time to stop buying fresh as we just do not eat it all. Some of the cabbages are so big we would have to eat it all week to use it up.
@Missmwngi (10783)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Nice,it is not nice to waste food
• Calgary, Alberta
I always cook fresh vegetables the moment I have them. There are times though where I pickle them or dehydrate them for life shelf purposes. I never had frozen veggies before. I know they were popular in western countries but fresh vegetables are popular here.
Fresh fruits are my biggest problem. They tend to go bad before we can eat them. I buy frozen veggies all the time and steam them
I hate to waste the food. But it seems that my parents often buy more food and then store them in the fridge. So our fridge is always very full. I don't like it. As usually the vegetables can't store for many days and then they still go bad. The fridge can't store them forever. But the elders are usually very stubborn and will not listen to your advice.