~Check Out Lines~

Jacksonville, Florida
I just read another post that made me think of something I do at any store. It really annoyed me, maybe more so than other people when the stores did this big change. When they put the self check out lines in most of the stores I was annoyed by it. I was sad that by doing that they took jobs away from people that needed them. So whenever I go to a store, I will only cash out at a line with a cashier. I don't care how short the self check out lines are-I will not use them. I know I am not actually affecting the store by not using them but it's simply principle. Do you use self check out lines? Or do you prefer to use the lines with cashiers working them?
Is these self check out lines a USA only thing? In my part of Canada I have never seen one. So luckily I get to deal with a cashier every time.
If you have a Real Canadian Superstore in your area, they should offer the self serve check outs as do Sobeys and Walmart. But Walmart doesn't have anyone to man them, so if something goes wrong, you are really stuck.
@WorkAtHomeGal I'm not sure if their other places or not but here every Walmart has them. And other stores are following their lead now too.
@Mike197602 (13911)
We've got them in most supermarkets here.
I used to say the same thing, but they do have a cashier manning the self serve stations so I prefer to use those. I always thank the cashier on duty as it seems like they are always helping someone at one of the stations.
That is true. I have tried them a time or two and I needed help.
Usually the self check out person is required to handle several things at once. The check out station, any requests for rain checks, and even bagging the closest lane to them
@ScribbledAdNauseum The cashier on the self serve station at the store that I shop at only looks after the 6 self serve spots, you have to go to customer service for rain cheques and none of the lanes offer to bag your groceries.
• Walnut Creek, California
At my favorite store, Home Depot, I admit that I use the automatic machine thingies when I can. But at the grocery stores, I'm glad those don't exist, and I hope they never do.
They are at every grocey store in colorado.
• Walnut Creek, California
@jstory07 The horror.
@TheHorse Here the self check outs are in every food store now. It makes me sad for the people that are searching for work now because a machine took their job.
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
I feel the same way and I am glad to see that some one else feels the same way too. :-)
@T_gray I'm glad to see others feel the same as well because I wasn't sure if it bothered anyone except me!
@T_gray (7805)
• Salina, Kansas
@LovingMyBabies nope it bothers me. ever since they started with those self check outs. I mean yeah it's supposed to make things go faster, but it takes away from at least 4 jobs. And if doesn't even makes things go faster. 90% of the times I am sitting there waiting for an associate to fix some kind of problem. And I am wondering how well it is going with the rate of theft. Even if its just small things. There's just so many things wrong with those. Sorry for my rant...hehe
@T_gray I completely understand your rant-it annoys me that much too!
I feel the same way. As well as probably becoming annoyed at the mechanics of the self serve thing. After all it put there, not for our convenience, but to save them money.
@celticeagle I have been with other people who use the self check outs and I think their more hassle than their worth too.
@LovingMyBabies ....So do I? Half the time they don't work right so it takes forever.
I like to use the regular lanes. The self checkout ones don't seem to like my coupons most of the time.
@Susan2015 I have heard of others having trouble with coupons at the self check outs-more hassle than their worth.
@LovingMyBabies I would just rather go through the regular lines anyway. I don't mind waiting a few extra minutes if they are busy.
It all depends. I usually end up at self checkout only because it is faster. When I was a cashier I had several customers who said they would NOT go to the self check out lanes. I can definitely understand why.
@ScribbledAdNauseum Many people prefer them because of being faster but I think about the people who were put out of work because of them and I just can't do it.
o I hate those I use the regular lines with cashiers working them as I do not like the idea of putting people out of wo rk
@Hatley I feel the same way, its not right to take jobs from people.
I agree with you and, that is basically what they did, they took jobs away from a bunch of people and, gave the jobs to machines. So, they could have more money for themselves. I think I will start doing the same as you.
@TRBRocks420 Yeah people need jobs-not machines. I will never go to the machines because it annoys me so much.
I prefer letting the staff scan my groceries. I will wait a long time in line.
@paigea Yeah I feel the same way.
I am like you, only go to a real cashier.
@marlina I am glad other people feel the way I do because its wrong for people to lose their job thanks to a machine taking their place!
@1hopefulman (32486)
I prefer to deal with people rather than machines or robots. I think we should use machines and robots in dangerous field like mining.
@1hopefulman Yeah I would much rather deal with people as well. I think its unfair for machines to take our jobs away. Yeah put them in the mines-not stores! Lol.
My preference is actual manned check out stations. Most places have someone monitoring the self check area and to me it also seems that they are making them work four times as hard for the same pay. Not right at all.
@GardenGerty Yeah there's usually one person to like 5 machines, its insanely unfair to them.
I buy a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables when they are on sale and I am not jgoing to look the number up and weight them.
@jstory07 I'm sure that would be annoying to have to do yourself.
@Shellyann36 (11273)
I only use them if I don't have anything that needs to be weighed or if the lines are super long and I am in a rush.
@Shellyann36 Yeah sometimes they might be faster but I have seen most people have trouble with them more than anything.
@Shellyann36 (11273)
@LovingMyBabies No doubt, the putting the items from the counter into the bag is a pain in the rear! The machine can never get it right.
@kevin1877uk (36989)
I use both, I don't really mind which I use. I think they put self check in because they can be faster and shorten the lines a little.
@kevin1877uk They also put them in so they don't have to pay as many people.
@kevin1877uk (36989)
@LovingMyBabies yeah or they cut staff hours down because they are alway needed.
We do not have self check out lines here in Switzerland, but I have noticed that in Italy they are installing them everywhere.
@LadyDuck They are everywhere here in the US and its sad to me. People need jobs, not machines.
@LovingMyBabies You are right, but it seems that they are replacing people with machines more and more. This is not the right thing to do.
@Bella128 (2480)
Well, unfortunately, with my overall shyness I prefer self check out. I do notice there are usually 1 to 2 self check out assistants though so there are jobs associated with most self check outs that I see.
@BellaTricks Yeah there's one cashier but there should be 4-5 cashiers in place of those machines.
I still prefer to use a line with a cashier. I'm a little intimidated by a self checkout
@Marilynda1225 I prefer a regular line as well for many reasons.
I do a lot of online shopping for items I regularly use like some food items and toiletries so I completely avoid brick n mortar stores. As for those times that I go for dairy and frozen foods I will use self checkout, I hadn't thought of anyone being out of a job because of them.
@rebelann I have thought about it for years when my husband was out of work and we were struggling so badly. It really hit me hard at that time and I refuse to use the self check outs.