We Visit the Lipizzaners in Austria

Bunbury, Australia
We belong to couch-surfers, an international organisation which puts people in touch with each other around the world to facilitate finding accommodation and a friendly face when travelling. It mostly consists of young people. We've had many people from various countries stay with us although we haven't used it a lot ourselves. As a general rule you don't stay in touch after a visit but sometimes you really connect with people and continue to communicate in one way or another. We had such a couch-surfer friend in Vienna and were able to spend quite a bit of time with her and her gorgeous two-year-old daughter. In July Claudia took us to the summer quarters of the Spanish Riding School. We'd seen a performance in the magnificent hall in Vienna on a previous visit several years ago. We went to the same hall to see some of the Lipizzaner mares and foals being paraded. We also watched some of the young horses being ridden and driven. Check out the stable cat in the stable-yard in the heart of Vienna. The stallions have magnificent quarters at both their summer and winter quarters, and want for nothing. The stallions all descend from six male lines. Each stallion takes the name of the original sire of the blood line plus the mother's name. They are long-lived, strong and muscular as they need to be to perform the airs above the ground for which they are so famous. In the rafters of the high-roofed barn a swallow was feeding its young and I was able to get a photo of the three chicks begging for food. I thought 'The Three Tenors' was an apt name for the photo.
I created this video with the YouTube Slideshow Creator (http://www.youtube.com/upload)
• Preston, England
I have seen film footage of the Lippzaners - they look magnificent
The atmosphere, the magnificent chandeliers, baroque music all add to the performance too.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv I would love to get there one day to see it
@arthurchappell Well, you are a lot closer to Vienna than we are. Perhaps you'll get there one day.
Do you mean you let strangers stay in your home, or am I misreading this?
• Uzbekistan
You've read this right. I haven't done it but heard good things about it.
@MALUSE I don't have that much trust in people I guess.
There are certain safeguards in place. You receive and give references so you can vet the people who come. Most are lovely young people - like our own sons and daughters - but there are many older ones travelling too. I can understand that many would be hesitant but we've only had good experiences.
Those horses are beautiful and I saw at the end the "Three Tenors", they look like swallows.
They were swallows. It's a pity the photo wasn't in better focus but the roof was very high up and it was hard to see them well.
@JudyEv I know it's hard to take a photo of swallows chicks. They have built a nest under the roof of our home, I will try next spring.
@LadyDuck This was so high up I was battling to see them.
@PainsOnSlate (20852)
That was fun to see, the horses are beautiful and what a wonderful way to meet new people and have a place to stay. Sound like fun. I loved the three tenors.
Weren't the little birds lovely? It's a pity the photo wasn't more in focus but they were very high up. I couldn't really see what I was taking - just kept snapping away and managed to fluke this.
@JudyEv You did a good job, I think they are adorable.
@sueznewz2 (10156)
• Alicante, Spain
brilliant slideshow... loved the birds too.... a lot of the foals were dark, I thought the lippizaner horses were white /grey...
All grey horses are born dark and go lighter with age. You can see one of the foals is losing his baby coat and is a bit lighter underneath. There is occasionally a brown Lipizzaner and there is always one kept in the team for good luck.
@sueznewz2 (10156)
• Alicante, Spain
@JudyEv aahh right thanks for that... I didn't realise their coats changed
@Dragonairy1 (1413)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Lovely photos, especially the swallows
I thought they just looked like they were singing their little hearts out.
I've never heard of couch surfing as an organization. Guess it could be beneficial if you travel
It was useful to us for sure. One lady we'd never met was very kind to us and showed us things we'd never have seen otherwise.
@mawhite (242)
I was just watching a documentary on the Lipizzaners via Netflix about two months ago. They are breathtaking. I saw them when I was a teenager, but I haven't since. But, to be able to see the hall in Vienna like you did a few years ago would be a dream. Thank you for sharing your slideshow!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I found out about them as a small child in Australia and never dreamt I'd one day get to see them 'in the flesh'.
@gr8nana6 (2187)
I have seen the Lippizanners on TV but never seen them in person. They sure do put on a great performance. Love the slideshow.
It was my dream as a child to one day see their performance so I've done that now. Glad you enjoyed the photos.
• Uzbekistan
I know about the Lippizzaners but have never seen them. I wouldn't stroke a horse I don't know! I've heard good things about couch surfing. An online friend travelled like this through Canada, Australia and New Zealand for nearly half a year.
I'm glad your friend had such a good experience with couch-surfing.
Now that is somewhere that I really would like to visit. I've seen full performances on the TV, and they are so impressive. Loved the birds!
Are the birds lovely? I could have sworn they were singing.
that sounds fabulous. what a neat opportunity to give people to travel as well. i've heard of that here in my area of the world, but we have ea small home, usually messy with all my kids and pets. so i don't think my home would be a good one to open up to people. i suppose it is something i could consider when the kids are grown. gosh, i don't want to think about that.... it will be here before i know it
I think a great part of it is young people sleeping on couches, on the floor, sharing a room, etc. The aim is also to interact with others, share views and opinions, etc but it doesn't suit everyone. We have the room and a certain amount of time so it isn't so hard for us.
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
How amazing and a cleverly made Video. I would love to have people from all over the world visiting and it is so good to know that when you are overseas you also have a place to stay. Well done.
We've had positive experiences with couch-surfers and it was very handy to have a few contacts while we were away.
My husband and I went there specifically to see those magnificent horses. We still talk about them.
It was on my bucket list from a young child. If we get there again we may go to the stud at Piber and do a tour.
@LoriAMoore (4731)
I think they were here once for a horse show in Louisville, KY, USA.
They do travel from time to time. Did you get to see them?