Back to the grindstone

@boiboing (12879)
Northampton, England
Back to work today and it has all the dreary sense of disappointment I remember from my school days - but without the prospect of the half-term holidays to look forward to. Normally I work from home on Mondays but one of my team is returning from maternity leave today so I need to make the effort to drive 150 miles to the office to put on a good show. She is coming back three days a week - Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays - which is deeply irritating and impractical. I have no idea how she's going to make that work on a job that requires her to look after Spain and Portugal. Doubly unfortunate and disruptive, she is the partner of another of my team members so I have no choice but to keep her happy in order to keep him happy. I'm still deeply irritated by the idiots who managed the last reorganisation - from the comfortable distance of several thousand miles away in Atlanta - who thought it appropriate to put a couple with a small baby in the same team. Oh well, might turn out to be OK. I can only hope it does. She's a hard worker but she's very 'high maintenance'.
150 miles? Holy Toledo, that's one heck of a commute. Since we have been retired for 15 years I can say I don't miss working at all.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
I have a flat 45 miles from the office for when I'm up there. But yes, it's a tough distance.
@boiboing My best job in many ways was one that was less than 2 miles from home, that's my kind of commute.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
@AbbyGreenhill I'd need a bit more than that to have time to switch off on the way home.
so what do you do? I used to work at a job that let me work at the office and at home and I loved it.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
Ah now that's a top secret. Although I will tell you that my mother recently announced "We know you are a spy but we still haven't worked out who you're spying for". Keep them guessing.
@boiboing hahaahahah, hmmmn, I bet you are spying for the countries garden clubs, getting secrets of how to make roses bloom in odd colors and such
It doesn't make sense to me either. There are policies in some work places in the U.S. making it against the rules to allow spouses to work together.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
I suppose because they are peers, it's not an issue. But if one worked for the other, it would be tricky. I also hope that having a baby together is a sign of a long term commitment. It would be tougher to have a couple who had only been dating a short time.
@boiboing Right, but how awful would it be if they ever divorced? Disaster.
@katsmeow1213 (29043)
Yeah, Mondays stink! I think they're worse after long weekends or vacations, it just seems that much harder to get moving. Hope things go smoothly for you while this girl is on maternity leave!
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
There was a collective sense of hundreds of people feeling really disappointed about having to get back to normal life today. And the heating hadn't kicked in after the holidays so it was really cold.
@boiboing Oh that bites bigtime! I hope they got the heat fixed. It's really cold here!
• Preston, England
A 150 mile trip to the office is quite a lot - hope you get to work from home more often than doing that
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
I'm home more often than at the office. Thankfully because today it's even colder here than at home. I have a rug on my lap like an old lady.
@scheng1 (24741)
I wonder how she is going to cope with this kind of work schedule. Hopefully she will request for a change of role or a change to part time work, and you can assign someone else to take over her portfolio.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
She is coming back part time - 3 days a week. But not three days in a row. That causes the problem. But let's see. It may all work out.
Most places of employment have the rule that couples can not work together. Whoever made the decision to let these two be on the same team must have had decaf instead of regular.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
And annoyingly the decision came from people in the USA who should have known better.
@Poppylicious (10090)
Ah, at least I have half-term to look forward to! I think it's six weeks. I'm already counting the days down. :)
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
I have a trip to Morocco at the end of Feb. I'm holding that in my mind to keep me going.
I do not know who managed the reorganization, but it looks like a mess.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
I do know and I agree. He's a moron!
I can see why you like to work from home with a commute like that, that's insane! How often do you need to actually be in that location to do your job?
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
I generally go to the office for 2-3 days once or twice a month.
That sounds very frustrating and, not a good choice to put them on the same team.
@boiboing (12879)
• Northampton, England
I was baffled when I got them both. They're both good workers but it makes life more complicated.