Leaving home for the first time.

Banks, Oregon
I left home for the first time when I was 17 and, looking back it was the worst mistake I ever made in my entire life. I never should have gone and, honestly think my life would have been a lot better if I never went. It all started because my best friend was afraid he was going to prison. I don't want to go in to too much detail about it, but he was accused of a crime he didn't commit and, in this case it was guilty until proven innocent. He and, another friend left to Arizona and, I joined them after Christmas time. I remember before I went I had one last party with all my friends, everyone was there, some I miss, some I am glad to not really be around any more, but back then we were like brothers and, sisters. After the party, the next morning Grandpa took me to the airport and, I guess I can say it now, because it's been exactly 17 years since then. I snuck pot in my shoe on a plane. I was pretty nervous going through the metal detector to, but it never even beeped. I kind of wish I had gotten caught now. The plane flight was pretty scary too. I had never flown before and, was all by myself. Anyway I made it there fine and, things started out great life was one big party, but to make a long story short, which I might go into more detail about at a later time. After a month I left Arizona with a broken heart and, different than I had went, my spirit was severely damaged during my time there and, it took along time for me to be the person I used to know. Also everything was different when I came back, but that's a story for another time. When did you leave home for the first time?
@VivaLaDani13 (19876)
• Perth, Australia
I'm very sorry you felt like you made some mistakes in your life but who hasn't? I guess it all comes down to that "live and learn" thing. I'm sure we would all like to go back and change things but we can't. The best we can do is look at what we have now and if you're still not satisfied with the way things are now, then some changes is all it takes, I haven't left home yet but I think about it a lot as you probably already knew.
True we live and, learn and, I definitely learned from it, but I will always wonder how different things would be if it didn't happen and, yeah I have noticed, just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the road.
I had just turned 18 when I moved out of the family home(s) and into a place with friends. It was an interesting experience to say the least. I've never moved more than 20 minutes away from family. Some people I was friends with in high school and I were going to move out of State. I honestly can't remember which State. I am glad we never did, and to my knowledge they've never left this state to live anywhere for an extended amount of time. These people weren't the best of friends in High School, I would have hated to be stuck with them.
Glad to hear you were smart enough not too, a lot of people tried to talk me out of it.
@TRBRocks420 It was a learning experience for you. Some people learn by example and some by experience.
@T_gray (7812)
• Salina, Kansas
I left home and was on my own when I was 16. I left like you did when I was 18. I "ran away" per say to have a better life, and just ended up having a crappy life. It's a long story. Sorry to hear about your story, but you live and learn. I am sure you are stronger now because of that. Or you learned something from it. Or you are a better person because of it. Something. It happened because it was meant to happen.
Yeah, that's true I did learn from it and, end up a better person, plus stronger and, wiser. I guess God works in mysterious ways :) Sorry about yours too, at least we both ended up happy, that's the important thing.
@T_gray (7812)
• Salina, Kansas
@TRBRocks420 That is true. We are much happier now.
I was 18. I joined the Navy. Best decision I ever made.
Wow that's awesome. Thank you for your service.
When I was 16 I spent the summer away from home.
@trivia79 (7914)
• El Segundo, California
No plans yet. The best time would be is when i found the woman destined for me and we decided to build our own family.
I have yet to leave!
@amnabas (10282)
• Karachi, Pakistan
I never had any action taken like that.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
I didn't leave home until my early 20s when I had a job enough to pay my own way. My parents wanted me to stay but it was time to go.