Walk, Walk, Walk

@Raelove (15177)
Saco, Maine
Part of my new health plan is to walk more. I have seriously neglected it since I moved here two months ago, and haven't done my indoor walking at all since I had surgery in November. So yesterday, in spite of how cold it was (20 degrees F), I bundled up and went for a 30-minute walk. Aside from the cold, I also realized how out-of-shape I am. About 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with a spinal curvature that probably occurred at birth. What this means is that I am slightly "higher" on my left side than on my right. I never used to be able to feel it, but now I do. And when I'm walking without a stick or a grocery cart to hold on to, I can feel my body leaning to the right. That results in extra pressure on my lower back that travels down into the right hip, producing pain that sometimes isn't helped by walking. As much as I am resisting it, I've noticed that walking with a cane helps a lot. But the thought of starting to use one totally turns me off, so I'm going to try to get back into some sort of shape instead. In any case, I was able to finish the walk, and my back was all the better for it later in the day. When the curvature was first diagnosed, I went to therapy. But once I learned that my insurance didn't cover it, I stopped and started exercising at home. As much as I do that, though, I will never be "straight," and the older I get, the longer it takes me to be able to limber up and feel somewhat normal. I'm not giving up, though. Since I started my new plan of eating less meat and more fruits and veggies, and watching my portion sizes, I feel much better. Now I just have to work on the physical component of this so that I won't be in so much pain while doing the simplest things. (Public Domain Image)
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
Have you considered a apparatus for your shoe to even out your legs. That could be a solution if you don't care for your cane.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
That's a thought. Maybe some sort of orthotic in my right shoe might help. I do have some somewhere, so I'll have to try that. Thanks!
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
@Raelove I think especially if you already have one you should give it a try. Just walk around the house for a while with it in. So glad to be of help. Let me know how it goes.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@fishtiger58 I will. Now I just have to find it. I've "lost" a few things in my recent move.
Walking is good for you in so many ways, expect if I did it I'd get run over by a tractor, the only place to walk (other than in mud) would be the road and you have to be crazy to do that here.
@Raelove I would stand a better chance walking in the basement - plus I'd stay warm! This is the country so the only paths are cow or deer paths up in the hill in the woods.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill I wouldn't mind paths like that as long as they were negotiable. I love walking in the woods more than anything.
@Raelove This is all up hill, the only way to the top of our property is 4-wheeler and I don't think its safe even if my neighbor does it.
@Raelove ,Thanks Rachel for the "push" to go for my walk this morning. I needed it as I am listening too much music right now and sitting here commenting. How about forming a Mylot Walking Club?
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
That would be great. I am going to walk inside today. But later, I am also going out to explore one of the nicest walking trails around here. Not sure if it's accessible this time of year, but I'm gonna find out!
@Raelove Just came back from my walk downstairs: 30 minutes with the Rocky CD, my best for walking. Again, thanks for the push.
@Raelove Enjoy the scenery while you are there.
You should use an orthotic sole insert inside your right shoe. They are not very expensive and can be of great help. Do not give up walking, it's the best exercise at our age.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks, Anna.
@Raelove My niece needs to use those orthotic soles, she has the same problem.
Good luck with this. It seems from what you say that if you can just continue to do the 'good' things then you'll be a lot better off.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
One day at a time. Thanks.
Good for you, keep up the walking it does us so much good.
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Walking is the best form of full body excercise! You get some new balance running sneakers for extra comfort
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
I tried NB sneakers in the past, and didn't like them. I currently own Reeboks which are good. But I need to put a lift in the right one to "even" myself out. Thanks!
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
@Raelove Sounds good, I think Rite head has the gel for the back heels, I have flat feet so I know your pain lmao
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@BACONSTRIPSXXX I am definitely going to look into it soon. Thanks, Michael.
I am sure you will feel and see a big difference in a short time. How wonderful you are doing this. I would like to also but am not quite ready to as yet. Good luck on your endeavors.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
I'm doing it purely for health reasons this time. I'm 65 and have had a few scares that didn't amount to much. But at this age, I could find out any time that I have something serious, so I want to prolong that as much as I can. I am also noticing the effects of overeating more now, too, and what it does to me. I'm feeling better already. Thanks.
@Raelove ...Hope it goes well, I am one year younger and have medical issues. I need to eat better.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle From all the reading I've done, I've learned that, while we may not be able to "cure" some of our health issues, we can improve our bodies in other ways to make those issues less of a problem. When my digestion isn't right--and I have lots of issues with that--I have no one but myself to blame for eating poorly. No pill or doctor can "fix" that. Only I can. So that's my starting point.
This is one of my goals also! To eat healthier and be more active/fit. I have occasional back pains. Best of luck to your goals!
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
Same to you!
@Raelove Thank you!! We can do it!
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
Simple and easy yoga stretches will help with the limbering and also with strength. Have you ever thought about an insert or a lift for your right shoe?
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
A couple of other people just suggested that, so I will try it. Thanks!
@Raelove One of my friends has a lift. It relieves a lot of the pain in lower back and hips.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Admire you for sticking with the get in shape idea. I feel it is much better for us if we can do so Rachel. Sorry to hear of your suffering as I know it myself. I have one hip higher or something like that causes me pain at times and messed with back. Keep going friend!
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@Missmwngi (9695)
• Nairobi, Kenya
All the best in your walking. I am also hoping to exercise more this year
@ria1606roy (2644)
• Kolkata, India
Walking is a good exercise to keep your body in shape. A minimum exercise is required to shake loose all the hard joints and pain in the body, but taking a cane for prolonged periods outside the house is not a bad idea. Cane helps to remain outside for longer periods. But keep on exercising and maybe one day you'll be very fit without any support at all. I have a hip problem too, and walking helps.
Yes@ladyduck says it right.Do this.You can get a good one Dr.Scholl
Forgot to mention that I walk mostly indoor in the basement when it is cold or bad weather. I also do some military walk for a few minutes to get me going. We have a center hall and that's where I do it.
Good for you. I wasn't doing to well at getting myself out to walk on our gravel country road. I joined a walking group and though I have to drive to town to meet with them and go for a walk it has been well worth it. I guess I needed to meet some people too. But I sure found out I am out of shape! Some of them use walking poles. They say they get more exercise that way and that they help with balance etc. especially in winter.
Recently I had to start using a cane and it really went against my grain to have to resort to using one. But, my knees are horrible and the cane keeps me from limping so I had to suck it up and use it. I have to say that I walk much better with the cane and it gives me just the right amount of support so I can walk. As much as you probably don't want to use a cane or walking stick it might make your walking easier