Playing vs. Exercise

Green Bay, Wisconsin
As a kid I was very active. I played outside all day long, went swimming in summer and sledding and ice skating in winter. I walked to my girlfriend's house or took my bike and she lived about five miles out in the country. I didn't think anything about all the walking I did. Today I am not at all active and need to start exercising. I was thinking about the difference between playing and exercise over the past couple days. When you play you use every muscle you have. My muscles were never tired or sore the next day and I was ready to go out and play some more. If we engaged in the same kind of play as we did as kids, we wouldn't need all the exercise we pay tons for at gyms. Now granted I'm not ten years old anymore and neither are you, but what happens when we get out there and play with our grandchildren? Other than the fact we get tired easy, we have a lot of fun, and it doesn't feel like exercise. I think it's time to start playing again. I know that when I played as a kid I never had a weight problem. In fact I never had a weight problem until I went to college and sat in class the entire day and gained seventy-five pounds by the end of the first year. If the NFL can engage kids in Play 60 I think I can spend one hour playing as well. I know it will take time to work up to 60 minutes, but I know I can do it. It's time to engage in reverse exercise here. It's time to play again. Thanks for reading. Image courtesy of Pixabay
I'm not going to call it exercise anymore! You reminded me of the difference! Play = Fun and Exercise = Pain! Now all exercise is to be called play!! LOL
Only if done in the name of FUN.
@ramapo17 (24537)
• Melbourne, Florida
@Berniezeitler that is one way of looking at it. I have to remember that the painful exercise is fun.
@Freelanzer (9353)
It is better to keep fit by doing something that is fun. I love dancing and it is a great way to exercise as well
Yes, it would be.
@ramapo17 (24537)
• Melbourne, Florida
You are right. If you don't enjoy something then it is no fun in it.
@freelanzer dancing is so much fun even if you blast the music and dance around the house
@Missmwngi (10637)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Mmmh get playing though it can never be as intense as when one is a child
Maybe not as intense, but it can still be fun.
@Missmwngi (10637)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@just4him I agree, Fun and also healthy
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
I love to camp and fish. And camping is hard work. But of course I don't camp all the time. I do love playing with my sisters grandkids though. They exhaust me. They are 5, 4 and 2 all girls.
I imagine they do. Camping is hard work. I haven't camped since I was a kid, and intend to keep it that way.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@just4him I love to camp, hear the fish splashing in the lake and birds chirping while having my morning coffee.
@ramapo17 (24537)
• Melbourne, Florida
@just4him My husband and I had a few RV's and we loved traveling around in them. I always wanted to travel a lot more in them but time and money would not permit that. We sold the last one before moving down to Florida.
@Elizaby (3696)
• Pensacola, Florida
I have a friend who does water aerobics for seniors and lost a good bit of weight. It is inexpensive and not hard on the legs or knees
I've done water aerobics and it is a lot easier than regular and as you said a lot easier on the knees.
@ramapo17 (24537)
• Melbourne, Florida
@Elizaby that sounds like fun and it is nice that it is easier on the knees. I do need that.
@ramapo17 So do I.
the idea of playing is way more enticing than exercising
Yes it is
@ramapo17 (24537)
• Melbourne, Florida
I agree with you on this one @Jessicalynnt. Unfortunately my grandsons live in New Jersey and I now live in Florida. Before we moved here over a year ago, I always had my grandsons around to play with and I did have lots of fun.
@ramapo17 It's been a while since I played with my grandchildren. They're all adults now. However, I do have two great granddaughters I can look forward to playing with this summer as they are getting to that age where they will be outside playing more. They are 2 & 1.
@Platespinner (16783)
Camping, hiking, swimming in the summertime, cycling...all stuff that I consider play, all stuff that is good exercise. Of course a lot of work is good exercise too; cutting the lawn with a push mower, shoveling snow, raking leaves, hauling firewood, gardening, vacuuming. I guess that all explains why I have a rather high metabolism .
I would say you have a high metabolism I'm surprised you can sit still long enough to blog
@just4him I'm fairly active most of the time, but it's good to sit down and give my brain a bit of a workout as well!
@Platespinner I'm always engaged in that kind of exercise. I'm sure your children also keep you active.
@DaddyEvil (25103)
• Aurora, Missouri
I do hope this works for you, Valerie! It sounds like you are on a back-to-my-roots campaign except you are returning to childhood.... I am very curious if calling exercise play instead will motivate you more than simply calling it exercise does? I'm thinking you will need to make yourself believe it really is play for it to work. I'll patiently wait to hear about your positive outcome while I am cheering you on, hon! Good luck! Thanks to @BernieZ for suggesting this discussion to me. I appreciate it!
Thanks. I hope it works too.
@DaddyEvil (25103)
• Aurora, Missouri
@just4him I do hope you will keep us updated on this, Valerie. You are very welcome!
@DaddyEvil While I was watching the kids play tonight, and even kicked at one of the beach balls being used in the game, I realized it has been a very long time since I did any kind of kicking.
@garymarsh6 (14263)
Swimming is a very good form of exercise. You can work yourself up gradually!
Unless I get a gym membership, I won't be swimming any time soon, but I do intend to get out and do whatever kind of play I can to get back in shape again.
@garymarsh6 (14263)
@just4him Don't over do it just build yourself up slowly.
@garymarsh6 Nothing will be done fast. Though I do get to play with kids on Wednesday nights again at the church youth program I'm a leader for starting tomorrow.
Wonderful post and great truth. I read about a young mom once who just followed her kids around for a month and lost lots of weight. Not only does playing help your physical heart it helps your heart, your emotions, your spirit.
When I was a young Mom, I did the same thing and never gained any weight. Doing the same now, should have the same results.
That is what I am trying to do with the dogs instead of walking on a thread mill in the house.
I'm sure the dogs see that as fun too. Especially when they see other dogs and squirrels and you go for a run instead of a walk.
@Plethos (10310)
id rather play than exercise. when you exercise, it feels as if its labor. where as when you play, youre having fun and at the same time, without knowing, youre also exercising- 2 birds with one stone kind of thing.
And if you tell yourself you're playing it won't feel like exercise.
@alberello75 (17980)
• Genova, Italy
Well, in my opinion I conclude that, however, at a certain age, we are unable to make those games we played as children.
You're right. There is no way I will ever play hopscotch again, but I can still have fun with my grandchildren.
@ramapo17 (24537)
• Melbourne, Florida
Maybe we can't play the way we use to but with some imagination we can move more than we do now.
@ramapo17 (24537)
• Melbourne, Florida
@just4him Me to?. I enjoy both of my grandsons. I do miss when they were smaller. I had a lot of fun with them.
I get my exercise by going for a half hour walk every day.
That's really good. Hopefully some day I can work my way up to that.
@ramapo17 (24537)
• Melbourne, Florida
I use to have the exercise ball and as I was on the computer I would sit on it and roll back and forth and sideways and it did help. When we moved I deflated it and when I tried to blow it up I found that I lost the screw to cap it off so the air won't stay in. I think this week I will go buy another one as it really helped me.
@ramapo17 I had one, but gave it away. I really should get another.
@ElicBxn (60884)
I loved to play, but I don't have any playmates... not so much fun playing by yourself...
@ramapo17 (24537)
• Melbourne, Florida
Go to a playground and go on the swings or to a pool. Anything you do in the pool is fun and is exercise.
I'm a loner and that never bothered me, but once you go you will find others to play with. I always did.
@ElicBxn (60884)
@ramapo17 I get motion sick on swings and I don't really like to swim - I can but I don't like it... besides, I have fibromyalgia, makes it hard to even have fun some days.
@cacay1 (33002)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Our body is so demanding,and sometimes we have to listen to our body.
@ramapo17 (24537)
• Melbourne, Florida
That is true but sometimes we use it as an excuse not to do anything and eventually shrivel up on the couch, hahaha.
@cacay1 Yes we do.
@ramapo17 Also true. So we need a happy medium.
@dodoazo (20297)
There is a big difference between playing and exercise. I got the same experience with you that in my early kid days I was so active, energetic, full of vigor and life. But now I am old, 64 years old. Playing is not too serious and active as before. Now exercise comes in to tone my weak muscles, to invigorate my energy through simple exercise. The least exercise I could ever do is early morning brisk walking and be conscious of my food intake. I enjoy my happy living with my very loving and understanding wife.
I agree and I need to get back to that simple playful exercise. A good walk, and watching what I eat are a big part of being healthy and having fun in life and living longer.
@dodoazo (20297)
@just4him By the way, I miss scriptural account. Do you write them still?
@dodoazo Every day.
How about simply walking? I started a little club here called #Mylot Walking Club". You are very much welcomed to join us and write about your new beginning.
Sounds like fun. I haven't started walking yet, but I should be soon. My leg is almost ready for that kind of exercise.
@just4him And you did use your treadmill which is very good.
@marlina Thank you.
I like your theory that playing is exercise but fun. Sadly there isn't much I can do today that I used to do at 10 yrs old. My days of sledding, skating and rolling down a hill are long gone but fond memories. If you can go out and play I say go for it!!! Keep young physically& mentally
I remember those good old days of rolling down hills, sledding, and ice skating. There are other kinds of playing that we can do. I haven't done it yet. Seems I should look into it. I didn't realize I missed these comments. Sorry it took so long to get back to it.
@slund2041 (3377)
I know my health has a lot to do with my activity. When I keep my little cousins I have to take a lot of breaks from playing with them, because I tire out so easy. I am asthmatic as well as a ton of other health issues.
Health issues can cause a lot of problems especially when we play or exercise.