Weeding Out My Followers

Flowers in my garden last summer
By Jabo
United Kingdom
When I come across what I consider to be an outstanding post I like to 'suggest' it to my friends. To do this I have to plough my way through the list of all the people who are following me, in order to find those who I think would appreciate that post. This can be very time consuming, so I've decided to delete those of my followers who are inactive, and those who I've never heard of. Fortunately I know how to do this, as Phredwreck mentioned it some time ago. I click on the names in my 'followers' list so that I get to their profile, then I decide if I want to remove them or not. If I decide to do so, I click the 'block', followed immediately by the 'unblock'. This has the effect of deleting them from my list without blocking them. I've got rid of nearly a hundred in this way. The only time this has any relevance for me is when I want to suggest posts, and by deleting those names my list is far easier to scroll through. If you do get a suggestion from me you can be sure that I consider that you will appreciate it. I read any comments on the post in question before I suggest it, so that I can make sure that you haven't already read it. I don't suggest posts lightly - I've only suggested 5 or 6 posts since the rules changed. They have all been excellent articles that weren't getting the attention they deserved. I'm aware that a lot of people didn't like this feature when members were able to suggest their own posts, but in my opinion the way I'm using it is the way it should be used. What do you think? Do you object to getting suggestions?
I need to learn HOW to do this, I would suggest everyone read this post :)
@Namelesss (1376)
@andriaperry You did it right, I got this suggestion from you. Thank you.
@Namelesss @andriaperry I didn't realise that you meant you were going to suggest this post Andria. Thank you. And thank you Elaine for responding
@LoriAMoore (4790)
I used to do that on "that other site" but I haven't been here long enough to have to do it yet and I haven't spent enough time finding friends to follow. New Years' resolution I guess.
@LoriAMoore Another side effect of going through my followers has been the realisation that I'm not following some people that I should be. They seem to have slipped through my net, and I've been able to put it right.
@Missmwngi (9850)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I love the suggestions. I have people who suggest post that i end up loving
@Missmwangi As long as we use it sensibly, and don't flood peoples' boxes with too many suggestions, I think it's great. I'm glad that you like getting them.
@Missmwngi (9850)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@jaboUK Thats right otherwise we we use it excessively it will end up being a bother like before
@vandana7 (64929)
Me too. We would have missed those posts otherwise. How are you Margaret? Happy Easter. Hugs.
@mysdianait (64058)
I have never used the suggestion option at all. ow I am thinking that I should
@MysD If you come across a really good post it is worth doing. As long as this feature isn't overdone it's great.
@mysdianait (64058)
@jaboUK I will have to add that to my new routine too
@mysdianait It's not exactly routine - just when something special comes along.
I don't object to getting suggestions and figure maybe something might pop up that I might have missed.
@Marilynda1225 I'm glad you say you don't mind getting suggestions as I know I've sent you some.
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
I honestly dont mind the suggestions, I go through them atleast once a day
@BACONSTRIPSXXX That's good to know - sometimes posts can get missed.
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
@jaboUK yeah thats very true, some of the best writters here are still unnoticed
@vandana7 (64929)
Happy Easter to you and family Michael. :)
Oh, darn. You've written my post! All these unknown followers really get on my nerves when I want to suggest a post. I didn't know about weeding them out, though. So you're one step further than I am. I'll start the weeding business at once. I've also suggested only few posts, but that my choice was good is proven by the fact that several members thanked me for the suggestion.
@MALUSE Haha - if I've written your post - it's only fair because you did the same to me a while back. I know you work the same as me regarding the suggestions, and I'm one of the ones who thanked you for pointing out TypicalRussian 's latest post.
@vandana7 (64929)
Yes, your choice is good indeed. :) Happy Easter. :)
@Mike197602 (13513)
• Worcester, England
I'm trying to build up my following list as i've struggled recently to find stuff i'm interested in responding to. At the moment i'm primarily using 'people' and looking at the activity of people i'm following to find interesting stuff. problem is i haven't used the follow button much. when i was very active here some time ago i didn't struggle that much and think it was because i had more friends than i do now.
@Mike197602 If you don't follow people they can't send you suggestions. I don't follow everyone who follows me, I'm choosy that way, but I follow a fair few. There is plenty of interesting stuff here, but it can be easily missed, and suggesting to each other does help. Regarding not having many friends here - you do have to interact and I've not seen you doing a lot of that lately. Or perhaps I haven't been on at the same time as you.
@Mike197602 (13513)
• Worcester, England
@jaboUK by friends i meant followers or following people. on the old site it was just called friends which theyve changed on the new site. as for interacting, no i've not been around much as i was at my sisters for christmas and new year so it seemed a bit antisocial to be up all night and asleep in the day as i normally am. I do tend to keep very odd hours though
@Mike197602 I know about odd hours - I often don't go to bed till 4am. Anyway, I look forward to seeing a bit more of you.
@KristenH (24085)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Jabo, what a great idea. There's some followers I never heard of and who haven't replied to my posts or anywhere else. Unless they participate and interact, they're history! Smart move!
@KristenH Yes, as I said, I found nearly 100 who had never interacted with me or who hadn't had any activity at all since Nov or earlier. They are the ones I zapped
@KristenH (24085)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@jaboUK Wow!
@whiteream (3521)
@jaboUK That is a lot of people I can see why you did it.
@kaka135 (14087)
I didn't know we can remove the followers through that way. Thanks for sharing that. I believe when someone is suggesting a discussion to me, she or he thinks I'd enjoy reading it, so I don't object getting suggestions.
@kaka135 Good, I'm pleased that you don 't object, and I hope that you welcome getting suggestions.
@kaka135 (14087)
@jaboUK Sure, I am happy to get suggestions as someone is thinking of me when he or she read those discussions and thinks I might be interested. I am always happy to share and be shared as well.
@kaka135 That's good that you feel like that, I won't be worried about sending you anything now. I don't do it often.
I've always been happy to follow up your suggestions and have never been disappointed. Thanks for the advice though about deleting followers. I'll remember that.
@JudyEv Yes I know you usaully read my suggestions Judy - I get notified when anyone responds to a discussion I've suggested. I think most of you know by now that I'm not going to suggest rubbish. Threre is a lot of dross in the followers list, but the only time it matters, as far as I can see, is when you want to suggest.
@ivyparkgirl Do you really? I turned off the 'likes', but I want to get all other notifications.
@jaboUK I've turned off the likes too.
@hereandthere (31063)
after i tried it on one name in the list, i refreshed the page. the name disappeared. i tried it again on another name, same result. it works! thanks!
@hereandthere I'm glad it worked, it's great when we can pass tips on to each other.
@troyburns (1430)
• New Zealand
I think it's in everyone's best interests to be able to recommend outstanding posts written by others. It opens up a new audience for the writer and gives the rest of us something special to read. But you do have to pick your targets.
@troyburns I'm glad that you feel that way Robin - it's something that needs to be reserved for special posts.
@Platespinner (16494)
I have appreciated all the suggestions that I have received, both from you and from others!
@Platespinner I'm pleased about that Joanne - I like getting them myself too.
@xFiacre (4438)
@jabouk I appreciate suggestions. That way I can pick up on good stuff I've missed. Your suggesting my article a few days ago resulted in rather a lot of hits - thank you once more!
@xFiacre Your article was a perfect example of what I'm talking about here, and I'm pleased to have been instrumental in presenting it to a wider audience. No thanks needed
I don't mind suggestions, but I usually try to get to everything I can anyways.
@TRBRocks420 Yes I see you around a lot, but not everyone is as active as you, and they may miss some good stuff.
@WorDazza (10106)
• Manchester, England
I don't object to getting suggestions, in fact I appreciate it. Sometimes a suggestion leads me to something interesting I possibly wouldn't have noticed so, as far as I'm concerned, suggest away!!
@WorDazza I'm glad you appreciate getting them Dazza, as I've suggested some to you, so I'll continue to do so.
@WorDazza (10106)
• Manchester, England
@jaboUK At the risk of sounding like Sid James, Carry on Suggesting!!!!
@WorDazza Ok, I'll carry on being suggestive
I like the suggestions! Interestingly enough I do suggest even if a person may have commented on it. Sometimes that reminder brings them back to see what others have said. If a person gets their own article suggested back to them from me, it is my way of letting them know I shared it (It lets themknow that it was important enough to me that I wanted them to know)
@Berniezeitler I find that people often thank me on the suggested post, so the poster usually knows what I've done.. I have had my own posts suggested to me, but I just thought it was a mistake on the suggester's part
@DaddyEvil Don't worry Robb, you aren't the only one who has done it - just ask @rebelann
Who ME?!? Why I never make mistakes @jaboUK
@Drosophila (16711)
I haven't ever received any suggestions from you lol!
@Dropsophila That's because I don't really know you well enough yet to know what sort of thing you would appreciate. Also I don't think you are following me, and I can only suggest to my followers
@Drosophila (16711)
@jaboUK Wow.. I thought I had you on "follow".. odd you were not! anyways you're now, so feel free to suggest away I can always ignore uninteresting posts. :D
@Drosophila I can promise you that you won't find anything I send you 'uninteresting'. I'll send you the last one I recommended and you can see what you think. Oops - I've just tried that and someone else appears to have suggested it to you already. Anyway I'll send you the next worthy one I come across.
@Inlemay (16543)
• South Africa
I like suggested posts but they should be of a decent read. There are some posts of my own I would love to share to all my followers, but alas if they dont read them, they fall way behind. I think i might just weed my garden of followers too some time next week. Good Morning to you
@Inlemay Good morning back atcha Lany. I'm actually glad that we can't suggest our own posts, there were far too many suggestions flying around when we could. As it is, suggestions are likely to be something special if someone has gone to the bother to do them.
@Inlemay (16543)
• South Africa
@jaboUK thats true - I dont mind either way - I just like to read my favorite friends posts anyway
@vandana7 (64929)
Lany ...how are you doing. Happy Easter. Hugs. :)