Why black cat stands for bad luck?

black cat
Guangzhou, China
I am a cat lover and of course I don't believe that meeting a black cat will bring you bad luck. Black cats are as adorable as other cats. I am just curious why some people will think black cats are unlucky? Does it come from any fairy tales?
@owlwings (39887)
• Cambridge, England
Black cats aren't universally considered to be unlucky. In Scotland, a black cat can mean prosperity and in parts of England, it's considered lucky to give a black cat to a girl as a wedding present. In many parts of Europe, however, cats (and especially black cats) have been associated with witchcraft since the Middle Ages and witches were often thought to keep cats as "familiars" (demons in various animal forms which were supposed to be servants of the witch). Probably the superstition that black cats are unlucky is more prevalent in the United States but many people in England believe that if a black cat walks towards one, it brings good luck and if it walks away then it takes the good luck with it. There are, in fact, so many different superstitions about black cats that it can get very confusing and, in the end, what you believe (and whether you believe anything at all) is very much a matter of personal choice! I think that black cats are beautiful and special. Because pure black cats are rather uncommon, I would consider myself lucky if one decided to live with me!
I even don't know that in some countries black cats mean good luck. It is nice to learn more about the culture difference. By the way, a few days ago I saw some owl badges via the online store, and then I think you may really want all of them. Hard to believe that there are so many owl badges
@owlwings Here owls are not a very common or popular animals. But it has nothing to do with the luck. Perhaps we haven't watched a nice cartoon about it yet. It is not like the mouse, you can think it could be adorable after Mickey Mouse
@owlwings is right, this is more an American superstition, that started at the times when the Pilgrims arrived at Plymouth Rock. They viewed the black cat as a companion of the witches. Anyone seen with a black cat was severely punished and even killed. From that the superstition that a black cat brings bad luck. Bigotry brought bad luck to the dozens of poor black cats.
Hopefully Americans will change the mind and don't think black cats are bad lucky.
@youless I hope they already changed their minds, many old superstitions do not exist anymore.
@shshiju (10557)
• Cochin, India
I think this superstition exists in all over the world. Most horror films adopted this.
After I read other Mylotters' comments, I found that not everywhere thinks that the black cats will bring bad lucks.
@shshiju (10557)
• Cochin, India
@youless Do you find any positive side of black cats?
@shshiju They look so cool, don't they?
• Budennovsk, Russian Federation
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."
Just so simple?
• Budennovsk, Russian Federation
@youless my statement assumes that people shouldn't make things complicated sometimes
I hear the superstition also but I am not sure the true meaning behind it.
Of course it is not true
I am superstitious and when a black cat crosses my path I am observant for a while and make sure I am not put in a negative situation for awhile afterwards.
Don't worry, it will not give you any bad lucks
@sishy7 (27594)
Black cats are scary looking...
Whereas I think it is so cool
@carexing25 (1820)
i don't believe in "black cats bring bad luck" ..though it's a very common saying here in my place, but i don't like cats.. their eyes are creepy..
Really? I think cats are quite adorable creatures
I think Black Cats are the best Cats of all. I have had 3 of them and, they were some of the best friends I ever had.
It is very unique and cool
@BluestEye (226)
No its definitely not bad luck or sometime. It is just a cat like any other cat. Some people just can not get over the fairy tales or aliens lol
It is good that people don't black cats are bad lucky any more.
@dodoazo (21699)
It is because of its black color. It couldn't be visible or easily be seen at night. Thus, people seem to be surprise and have to strike it with a club or anything that could inflict harm. Actually, it is not the cat that brings bad luck. It is the cat itself that is unfortunate to be accidentally killed.
Your words remind me a funny photo which I saw online. A black person and others were taken photos together at night, but from this photo you will see two weird eyes with white teeth and the black person seemed to be invisible