What state are you in?

Bunbury, Australia
I finally got tired of reading comments from various US people discussing their states and the weather therein. I had no idea where most states where and thought it was time I rectified the situation. I found an 'American states quiz'. You type in the state and the word moves down the page to the appropriate position on a map of the USA. The first time I got about 10 states. Last time I tried I managed to get 38. While I'm not perfect yet, with a bit more practice I reckon I'll have a good idea of roughly where each state is. Then perhaps I'll tackle the Canadian states. And then the European countries. I love that I'm always learning things here.
@Morleyhunt (20328)
Hate to tell you, Canada has Provinces and Territories, not states. Most of our provinces are large ( except the Maritime provinces) and our territories are in the North.
I'll look forward to learning more about them
@Bluedoll (17054)
How dare she refer to us like Americans. I am so insulted. - just joking around. State! ummmph!
@Bluedoll I'm displaying my ignorance a bit - but others will be able to feel far superior if they're so inclined.
I look up the states to see where mylotters come from too. I just fetch up a map of the US and find them that way.
That's a good idea too but I thought I'd have a go at 'learning' them to some degree.
@Platespinner (17046)
If it's any comfort there are an awful lot of Americans who don't know where most of the different states are either. And yes I am a bit of a geography snob. Of course my knowledge of Australian geography is less than stellar, but thanks to a dear college friend I do know that Perth is in Western Australia, and is a LONG, Long way from the other major Australian cities.
And we West Aussies intend to keep it that way! . And I got to 46 US states last try. Yay!
@JudyEv Good for you. There are a few in the middle (Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska and Idaho that always give me pause--and I've BEEN there!).
@Platespinner I found another quiz. This one I have to drag the name to each state - back to square 2.
I was going to say that Canada does not have states, but a Canadian already told you.
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
I have no difficulty with the US States and am aware of the approximate locations in relation to each other. The same would apply to the Australian territories, although that is to be expected since there are only 7. Canada would be more difficult for me, but all in all I have a respectable mental picture of the global map.
I'm very impressed. I am way behind the eight ball when it comes to geography.
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv I remember a work colleague many years ago boasting that he had once been able to list all 50 US states. I responded that anyone could do that and took a plain piece of paper. I listed them during lunch and break times, but after the initial burst I slowed down rapidly. Annoyingly I could only list 49, which annoyed me more when I arrived home and looked them up because I overlooked West Virginia.
@Asylum I can get a heap quickly now but the last few are difficult. I am now trying to place the names in the right places on a map.
I'm in Pennsylvania on the border of New Jersey. Sometimes I still have to figure out where some of our states are too. I've never been good at geography
Haha. I know where that is and yesterday morning I wouldn't have! I'm feeling very smug at the moment. Perhaps you can tell.
@garymarsh6 (14367)
I love Geography and know roughly where each state is. North South East or West. Oh not forgetting that bit at the top and those islands way down in the pacific,
@garymarsh6 The bit at the top and the islands are really easy!! It's all the rest that are hard.
Many Americans don't understand our states. Where I live in TN we are in the Eastern Time Zone, yet I have a cousin in Maryland who keeps saying that I am an hour behind her..dah....I'm not, I'm in the same time zone. People should look at a map once in a while!
I thought if I had some idea of the states the time zones and weather patterns wouldn't be quite so bewildering.
@JudyEv The crazy weather in the US that we're having would only confuse you more. The south has had some bitterly cold weather and then it switches and the warm weather got north - then it flip flops again.
@ivyparkgirl I talk about it all the time.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
I live in the US and sometimes not sure what state is next to another lol. Illinois is in the midwest and I live very near Chicago which is on Lake Michigan.
I might have a go at learning the capitals once I have a handle on the states.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@JudyEv My son can name all the capitals of the states, but I have to admit I used to know but that was a long time ago, and I'm sure I don't anymore.
@fishtiger58 That's pretty impressive. I wonder if I'll be able to master that.
@garymarsh6 (14367)
I have a mental picture of where the states are roughly. I would love to visit every state in the USA maybe once I retire!
There seem to be a few MyLotters who are aiming to achieve this too.
@garymarsh6 (14367)
@JudyEv I still have a few to go yet.
@ramapo17 (25251)
• Melbourne, Florida
@JudyEv that would be a great thing to look forward to one day. When we had an RV we had a map on the side of it of the United States and every time we visited a different state, we would put the proper state on the map where it belonged. It was fun.
@Missmwngi (10773)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Here we have counties and not states however we used to have provinces until the constitution changed
I think this will be a good learning experience for me. I need to do the same with African counties as I'm pretty ignorant there too.
@JudyEv you can always learn a lot online. I am in Riga, Latvia but was born in NYC. I remember going to school in the US and having to learn all of the 50 states plus their capitals. I just finished writing some armchair travel blogs about Europe and now I am writing about your country Australia. You have one fascinating and beautiful country. My hubby travels to Sydney on business now and then.
@Missmwngi (10773)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@JudyEv Yeah it is a good way to learn
@UncleJoe (10621)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I live in the State of Confusion!
It seems you and I must live in the same state...but I seem to have gotten here first.
@UncleJoe (10621)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@ivyparkgirl Thank you, Kelly. I've always wondered where I was born and raised.
@UncleJoe @Platespinner @ivyparkgirl Haha. I feel pretty sure the state of confusion is packed with people!
Thanks to an excellent teacher and my love of travel, there are very few locations that I do not know, unless it's a small town or village. In that case, I look for it on a map.
I'd like to be like that. Now with the internet and fun quizzes maybe I'll at least improve a bit. I need to.
@JudyEv I think most people need to learn more about our world and geography.
@ivyparkgirl Yes, I live in Florida for the winter months, but Connecticut the rest of the year. I answer questions when I am here or have the time. Thank you.
@Platespinner (17046)
I keep scrolling past your title as I mine through the site for interesting tid-bits to read. I can't help but succumb to the temptation. Sometimes I think I'm perpetually in the state of confusion . Sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself.
@JudyEv I resisted for a while, but I've learned over the years that resistance is futile. Besides which I figured you would appreciate a chuckle as well.
@zebra2222 (5171)
I'm in Michigan which is the MItten state.
Why is it called the Mitten state? I am trying to take notice of the shapes of the States as I go too. Michigan was one of the ones I found really hard to remember.
@kaka135 (14068)
I am not so good in geography. I wonder how many states I'll get it right if I take the quiz, it's fun to try it out. My son is always interested in geography, or the World map, I have to learn it together with him.
I quite enjoyed doing the quiz. And it made a change from Spider Solitaire.
I tried one site and got 60%. I will have to try again.
That would probably be considered pretty good. Was that just naming them? Or placing them too?
@JudyEv That was placing them and I didn't get to choose the order I did them in.
@paigea I'm not very good on placing all the small ones up the east coast.
@mom210 (6779)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Way to go. I can understand it being confusing. I use those quizzes on my kids. I think it is important for them to know the areas around them. Next we are going to work on some overseas areas, because we all need to know those as well. It does get hard though.
It is an easy and interesting way to learn - not as boring as perhaps it might be otherwise.
@mom210 (6779)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@ivyparkgirl Opps, I am in Georgia, just above Florida. It is warm here, usually does not snow but we CAN get if from time to time and my kids would be SO thrilled.
@mom210 I can just about name all the states right round the perimeter. Still have trouble with a few in the middle. :)
I am quite sure you do better than I would with the Australian states!1 lol I know NSW and I am not sure if I know any others.
You could have a guess at Western Australia, South Australia and Northern Territory - and probably Tasmania .
@JudyEv Oh I do have a friend in Tasmania I should have thought of that and I do know you are in Western Australia aren't you?
@BelleStarr Yes, the west is best :) Sometimes poor old Tasmania gets left off our maps. It is a lovely place - reminded me of England as it's cool and green.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
That is a great idea. I need to look up Canada and the European countries.
There are some nice little quizzes on the net. They're quite enjoyable to do.
@troyburns (1428)
• New Zealand
My knowledge of US geography is pretty good - my wife and I try to remember all the state capitals when we have nothing better to do. Dom's better than us though - he just sings this:
Animaniacs video of Wakko's famous 50 State Capitols song