He is contained, for now

My son turned 2 last August, and so far he has not yet tried to climb out of his crib or play pen. The crib is just used at night time, since he no longer naps, but the play pen is a must for me to get my work done. Otherwise he would be climbing on me, my dining room table and the couch. Ideally we will get rid of the play pen within the next 6 months or so. Once I am done with my bookkeeping, and then I can have the space back in my living room.
I would not get rid of it till he learned to climb over it. You just never know when your going to need it. It folds down so store it for later use is possible.
This particular playpen is 10 years old and is on it's last legs. I already taped parts on the bottom, so it likely won't hold up to being taken down and set back up.
@Morethanamom That is what I call getting your money's worth. I see your point now. Good for you.
I always loved the play pen when my kids were younger and with the one we have on the way I will be using one again. It's crazy that some people are so against them now a days- Makes no sense to me-their a lifesaver!
It is a life saver for me as well. My now 4 year old was climbing out of it at 2.5, but she never climbed out of her crib. With hey son being my last, this means he is growing up and no longer a baby. Well, he really hasn't been a baby for a while.
@sugartoes (33864)
• Greencastle, Indiana
when I use to have a play pen this may sound strange but I use to put it up side down when mine got where climbing OVER it was easy to do once I turned up up side down that stopped that.
@noni1959 (2594)
I did this too. If it's big enough and won't fold in, it works great. Those linking gate pens are great as well. Some come in different heights and don't have rails they can climb.
@sugartoes (33864)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@noni1959 that's why I used mine for as long as I could though it didn't look good when company would come over out of the blue till you explain WHY you have your kid locked in it's play pen up side down, but it sure helped.
@kaka135 (13479)
I guess your son will be happily and excited to climb everywhere he wants.
He certainly will be. I won't be as excited.
@kaka135 (13479)
@Morethanamom Mother will be more tired!
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
But soon very very soon he will be climbing out. My youngest was a climber he would try anything.
That is very true!
@Platespinner (18095)
It's amazing how much mischief toddlers can get themselves into!
This little guy moves quickly too!
we kept ours til our nine,month old son found a screwdriver and casually took the pla y pen apart. from tjhen on he was repairing and taking things a part now at 56 he is a computer programmer and electronic re pair man lol l l.