Frank LLoyd Wright

@fishtiger58 (30372)
Momence, Illinois
Frank LLoyd Wright was an architect before his time. In many areas across the United States there are homes he has designed. In Kankakee Illinois 12 miles from my home there are 2 homes designed by him. One is currently privately owned and the other is opened for various art exhibits in the area. They are pretty amazing. My mom is from a little heard of town in Minnesota called Cloquet ( pronounced Clokay). In this small town of 10,000 in the northern part of Minnesota about 16 miles west of Duluth is another Frank LLoyd Wright gem. A gas station. Yup a gas station and only one of I believe 2 gas stations designed by Frank LLoyd Wright. It's unmistakably a Frank LLoyd Wright Design.
This gas station is great, I like the design. One of the most famous house designed by Wright surely is the Fallingwater house (Kaufmann Residence). It was featured in the movie North by Northwest.
@fishtiger58 I have scrolled down and I have seen the photo, those windows are beautiful.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@LadyDuck I would die to have windows like that.
@fishtiger58 Imagine when it's time to clean them.
• Pleasant Hill, California
A gas station? I'd like to see that! I have a picture of Falling Water House on the wall by my computer. There was a Wright house in my neighborhood in Chicago.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
The gas station is pretty cool and I heard there was another one I think somewhere in New York.
@mommaj (22711)
He and his son both had the same design technique. I was quite impressed with their work. I love the angles that they add to everything.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
Every house I have seen of his have qualities that you know when you see them they are Frank LLoyd Write but they are also unique in their own rights. Beautiful all of them.
@mommaj (22711)
@fishtiger58 Yes he only designed a few over the water but they were pretty. I like how the outside angles kind of remind you of stairs.
@mommaj (22711)
@fishtiger58 I might do that. I don't remember the names of them. lol
• Portland, Connecticut
I have visited the Laurent House in Rockford, Ill and the Dana Thomas House in Springfield, Ill. Both very different but interesting.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
I was just recently at the Dana Thomas House a few months ago it was amazing. Haven't seen the Laurent House in Rockford now I have another day trip to take. Thanks.
• Portland, Connecticut
@fishtiger58 Mr Laurent was handicapped and the house was built to accommodate him, it is the only one FLW ever did with handicap access. The Dana Thomas House is amazing.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@BelleStarr The tour was so interesting at the Dana Thomas house I loved it.
It's easy to see what he designed, the airplane wings give it away.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
Yes I think so too as well the sign on top that says Wright and below an F and an L Are you from Joliet? My sister lives in Joliet
@fishtiger58 I used to live in cell 728 there...
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@JolietJake Oooooh I see.
I don't think I've heard of this guy but the gas station is certainly intriguing.
I was just checking some pictures of Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. Quite something. Not my kind of architecture, as I am not a modern style lover.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
Look up the Dana Thomas House in Springfield Illinois it's quite something, designed by Frank LLoyd Wright. It's nothing like the Guggenheim.
@fishtiger58 Beautiful!
@Dalane (704)
We once visited one of his houses called "Falling Water". It was amazing. Cool gas station.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
Many here have talked about the Falling Water house. I have to go see it. The gas station is pretty cool. Who knew??
@whiteream (3539)
I had no idea he made designs for gas station. that is a very nice station.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
I think the other one is in New York, that's what I heard anyway. It's pretty cool.
Wow! That is amazing! I just saw one of his houses featured on HGTV. I'm not a fan of modern architecture, but he was one of the greats!
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
I love his stuff. I think because it was so different from anything else in his time. Even today it's different.
His name is familiar to me.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
He was a genius where building design is concerned. Beautiful houses he designed.
Here in New Hampshire we are very well aware of this person. It did some fine mission work furniture etc.He had a place here in New Hampshire.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
I didn't know he lived in New Hampshire, he was a brilliant man.
@Platespinner (16532)
You mention his name and I visualize Fallingwater...incredible architecture!
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
He was a genius, I love his work. The houses in my area both have etched windows, every single window it's beautiful. I will have to find my shots of these houses I took many of the etched windows loved them.