My Sinkhole Experience

@UncleJoe (4702)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
After reading a post by @BelleStarr about sinkhole in her neighborhood it reminded me of my own experience. One that couldn’t be addressed with just a brief comment. My uncle and I had been hunting along an old abandoned railroad in the North Carolina mountains when we happened upon a big hole that had not been there the last time we were. Not being able to see the bottom, I chucked a rock in and we listened for it to hit bottom. We heard nothing. I threw a larger stone. Still no sound. For the next few minutes we busied ourselves with dragging dead tree limbs and sticks to drop in the hole. Still no sound or even an echo. Finally, Uncle Edgar found a long pieces of discarded track and dragged it to the edge and heaving it in. Knowing that big heavy steel track would definitely make a noise when it hit bottom, we stood on the edge and listened intently. That’s when another disturbance caught our attention. After heavy rustling in the underbrush, a big red goat came charge out at us, head down, ready to butt us into the hole. Had we not side-stepped in the nick of time we would have gone in too. To both of our surprise, the goat leapt over the rim and right down in the sinkhole. While we stood scratching our heads trying to figure out what was going on, up walks Mr. Shelton, a neighboring farmer. “Have you guys seen my goat?” he asked. “Sure did!” my uncle responded, “He just ran through here and jumped in that big hole!” “Oh, that couldn’t have been my goat!” the neighbor explained, “Mine was tied to a piece of railroad track!”
Oh dear...... you are not right.
@UncleJoe (4702)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
No, I'm a leftie.
@Platespinner (12147)
Sometimes I suspect you just make up half of the stuff you post here...
@UncleJoe (4702)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Oh. no! Yopu know I'm not good at making up stories.
• Portland, Connecticut
lol Good one, you had me going for a while.
I knew there would be a punch line, and sure enough you came up with a funny one
@pgntwo (14029)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
A most engaging and funny story, well done.