Vestiges of Christmas Past

Winston Salem, North Carolina
It has been two weeks since we celebrated one of the most anticipated holidays of the year. We enjoyed the festivities, but life has moved on. The Christmas tree and the decorations that brightened our home from the closing days of November, were packed away on the first day of the New Year. With the help of my children I packed up the festive red and green coffee mugs, the creche was wrapped in bubble wrap and along with the festoons of garland was returned to the big plastic storage tubs in the back of my closet. We worked hard on the first day of the year, but we don’t seem to have been very thorough. Over the course of the past week I have been finding little bits of Christmas that seem to have escaped the clean up. Christmas cards on the mantel, hotpads in the kitchen and snowglobes on the bookshelves. Each discovered item has been packed up and stored until next year. This afternoon as I was straightening the the great-room I noticed another little fellow that had managed to avoid the post Christmas purge. He’s a cheerful looking fellow, and aside from the red buttons and red-and-green scarf it could be argued that he is wintery rather than Christmasy. I think I’ll let him stay.
I keep finding bits of tinsel all over the place. Your little snowman is great.
I don't remember having so much trouble getting everything packed away in years past. It seems like everytime I turn around I find something else.
why not he is really cute and is lo oking seasonal too
That's what I'm thinking. He isn't obviously Christmasy, but very cute.
@sallypup (21774)
• Moses Lake, Washington
What a cutie. I love to save money. I needed some potholders and there at the Goodwill were perfectly good ones for beyond cheap. Why so cheap? Cause they were festooned with Santa and snowmen. I bought them and plan to use them all through the year.
I have potholders that I bought on sale after Christmas several years ago for $.50 apiece, if I remember correctly. I bring them out after Thanksgiving every year, and use them until New Years when I wash them and tuck them away until next year. I like the variety of using seasonal items around Christmas.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I have the John Prine song "Souvenirs" going though my head. Do you know that one?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Platespinner It's kind if a sad one. I think Goodman got credit for writing it, and Prine performed it (they were buddies), but they actually write it together in a hotel room in NY.
@TheHorse The things I learn as a result of hanging out around here...
The little snowman is really cute and he was hiding from you and now he gets to stay. how happy he will be.
Odds are that I'll forget about him and he'll still be there come summertime.
@UncleJoe (8521)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
For the past 10 years we just unplug our tree lights and leave it standing until the next Christmas. That makes me kind of wish it was an artificial tree.
I'm just going to shake my head and continue what I was doing. Silly man.
@1creekgirl (8661)
Yeah, that's why I end up using Christmas dish towels and pot holders all year!
I just took my Christmas cards off the mantle today
It's so cute and no reason not to let him stay there.
This snow man is cute. I thought everything was in the boxes until next year, but this morning I have found that I have some decorations still hanging around.
@simone10 (22262)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I would let him stay too. He is so cute and does look more like winter than Christmas.
He certainly looks cute. I'd be letting him stay too.
He's tucked away in a corner, and since one of the girls usually dusts the bookshelves for me there is a pretty good chance that he'll still be there in the middle of the summer. It's a good thing he's not in danger of melting.
@Platespinner What? You dust bookshelves? Actually I have this week as we're expecting a few people up for supper after the house concert. This always sends me into a big tizz.
@JudyEv I don't dust bookshelves, but I expect my children to. With 6 people we generate a LOT of dust.
@Darroch (248)
Your snowman does look cute sitting there. Think we managed to get all our Christmas things into the boxes, though I still have to take them from the hall down to the cupboard they stay in. Have been sitting there around a week, so suppose I should really try to do that soon, before the boxes become a feature. lol.
I occasionally have boxes that sit out for a while because I'm too lazy to put them away.
@Darroch (248)
@Platespinner That's me! They will get moved one day though, probably when we are expecting visitors.
@Darroch I'm thankful for the visitors that come through our household fairly regularly. If it weren't for them there are certain things that would never get cleaned or put away .
@DeborahDiane (16183)
• Laguna Woods, California
I finally got everything put away in the house. I have some lights around the front gate into our courtyard, however, and I keep forgetting to take them down. However, I only notice them after dark, and I don't want to take them down at night. I'm sure my neighbors are starting to wonder when I'm going to stop celebrating Christmas.
Several people on our street still have their lights up and keep them turned on. Thankfully it's just the tasteful displays that are lingering.
@softbabe44 (5958)
• Vancouver, Washington
He will thank you for letting him stay.
We too are back to normal but things do evade us as in your case that snowman wanted special attention to be aired here too (lol). I have a few 'icicles' hiding behind cupboards. Getting them back where they belong is a task as everything is packed.
@Missmwngi (9694)
• Nairobi, Kenya
He looks cute though,keep him
@moffittjc (35646)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's funny, because I am normally very astute about packing up my Christmas decorations right after the new year. But all my decorations, including my Christmas tree, are still up! I just have not had time to take everything down yet! My plan is to tackle it this weekend. I have to admit, I like the Christmasy spirit that's still in my home! lol
Oh good. He's so cute. He would make me smile every time I saw him.
Although I don't celebrate Christmas, I do think your little fellow is appropriate for this time of year.