Tour of $500,000 homes.

Big homes,
Roseburg, Oregon
I live in a middle class neightborhood. There was some farm land for sale and a company bought all of the land and started off with homes that were $300,000 and we went on a tour of those homes last summer. Those homes were three levels and they were beautiful. They have a mud room, office and family room, big kitchen and dining room all on the first story and of course a full bathroom. On the next level there are three or four bedtooms and a laundry room with full size washer and dryer. The basement on some were unfinished and on others they were finished. These homes had a double car garage and were attached to another home. The homes are big and nice. But I would never want a house that big. Now they are building homes up to $500,00 on the other side of the road. These are really big homes that are not attached to each other. I would never want a single home that is that big.
I just typed - is a mud room typical? I thought like a spa hence mud room. Then, I was like.. I must be wrong so I looked it up and it's a entry way correct, a room to enter before the snow maybe? I wish houses were more affordable here in Southern California, or at least be spacious for the cost!
a mud room is where you put your winter boots on and take them off when you come home. who needs a room just for that.
@jstory07 Lol. Not here!
@jstory07 We have a very large front foyer area with a large closet in it, which is basically what a mud room is only on a more formal level.
One day I am sure you will plan to shift into one of those
No i never want a big house like those.
@jstory07 Maintaining becomes an issue with big houses
@fishtiger58 (27168)
• Momence, Illinois
I can't imagine buying a house for half a million dollars.
They are so big and beautiful. But I would never want one that big. But of course I could never afford one.
@fishtiger58 (27168)
• Momence, Illinois
@jstory07 I couldn't afford one either. My house is paid off and I"m perfectly happy here.
What is a "mud room"?... Oh I see you already replied to this question. Housing is a lot less expensive in the US, our normal houses costs 500,000 $ here.
It depends where you live @LadyDuck. In our neighborhood they start at $600,000. The street next to us begin in the millions. In towns around us, they are in the hundreds of millions. My son's place in NYC is well over 2 million, which is cheap. Other towns can begin at 200,000 more or less. We have a huge country, so the price varies, especially the closer to beaches, lakes, and large cities.
@DianneN I wrote in the US, but it's not exact, in fact in Los Angeles you cannot expect to pay less than 1 million dollar for a not so good home, while in Florida you can buy a nice house for 150,000 $. It's the same here in Switzerland, if you go 15 miles north and you want a house on the lake, you find nothing for less than 1 million dollar.
A mud room is an entry way, usually on the side or back of the home. I dislike that term because of the images that it conjures up in my mind.
@Shiva49 (8440)
Better that we don't get carried away which we all tend to do. I just want a cosy and convenient place to live - siva
We are just going to get a one level house when we move. All we need is two bedrooms and a smaller house.
@whiteream (3560)
Yes, a nice place with enough space for my family that is enough for me.
@Shiva49 (8440)
@whiteream Yes, with one additional alphabet "place" becomes "palace"! siva
It would be a lot of work to keep clean. It's nice to have room for guests but it's still a lot to clean.
My friend went to one and they have a kitchen in the basement to along with the kitchen in the upstairs. I would th9iink you would get loss wondering around in that house.
@jstory07 It was lovely to be a guest in such a home. We all had our own ensuites. The balcony had a view over the ocean and a fancy barbecue set up under cover.
@judyev the more room the more guests
Sound like nice homes.
They are really nice homes. there are already people living in some of them. the house payments would need to be hugh i would think.
• Marion, Kansas
I had a large multi story house and could not keep up with it. I am glad to have a single story home.
We just love our rancher style home and would never opt for stairs again either.
• Pleasant Hill, California
If I bought a house, I'd want something small and cozy.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@ivyparkgirl Yep, I don't like big huge spaces.
We have quite a few millions dollars home not far from our place. Some people with money bought small houses with a huge lot and build new. They look fantastic.
@cintol (685)
We have homes like that by us, they are called Soltera and are right off the highway. I would never want one that big either, I would never be able to keep it clean at that size. I am looking for a smaller house to move too now that its just my husband and I.
I love large homes, although they cost a lot in taxes and are more expensive to heat and cool. At least I had children who grew up in our house and return with their own for visits. There is plenty of room for everyone. My friend and her hubby live in a larger home, and they never had children. She told me they love the space. Our vacation home in Florida is tiny by comparison. I call it our dollhouse. I could live happily in either.
@amnabas (9682)
• Karachi, Pakistan
They are sounding like full to luxurious house is it?
@hereandthere (19475)
medium size for me, but on its own lot.
Size does matter when it comes to our homes. I have always preferred something big enough but not overwhelming. These sound like they are semis with another home attached to it, I could never ever own one of those. I would worry about safety, fire in one unit affecting the other and noises. I know that they are growing in popularity for those wanting to downsize, as they are building developments of these everywhere it seems, but they are not for me.
That is sure not my kind of house. the more house the more mopping. I would go crazy.
@dibz123 (139)
You are right what to do with such a big house a nice cosy house would just be so perfect.
@cherriefic (3959)
• Baguio, Philippines
If you don't have a huge family, it's not good to live in a big house. It's a bit expensive to maintain.
@softbabe44 (5967)
• Vancouver, Washington
I wouldn't need one that big but they need a good price tag .
@kevin1877uk (35491)
I'm sure they are nice, many homes in the UK are that kind of price.