Interesting?

@Inlemay (17140)
South Africa
Its a slow go on the myLot this morning so I decided to meander into the Options to find something to read ; Interesting? Came up with nothing interesting at all, so I wonder who decides what is Interesting or not? Surely a rainy morning, a day in the park, humming or a coffee break is not of Interesting material? The only interesting matter I found there was that Salvo had a beautiful sister! Now I have moved on to Top Rated . . . I am holding my breath! The only ones that I would rate Top are the UK Lottery news and the fact that the number 13 is indeed very misunderstood! I wonder what Most recent will deliver seeing there is no traffic here at all at the moment . . . Oh yes - everyone is a Buzz about the death of David Bowie AKA Ziggy Stardust or Mr Jones. The radio stations are killing the memory! So how do you find what to read next . . . I certainly wont try Interesting again the category is ambiguous!
Before checking any other section, I go through the notifications, followed by the discussions written by those I follow and usually this takes all my time.
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
I do that as well - but I probably dont have as many notifications as you - as I do respond to everyone and then I still visit all those that visited me - Then i look for other readings
@Inlemay I check my notifications several times every day and I always go through them before going to sleep. This morning I had 95.
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
@LadyDuck wow I have never had more than 40 a day - I had a laot when I was away but they were mostly likes
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
I have often been distinctly disinterested in the interesting section. I have also been left cold by the hot section, found myself being nostalgic in the most recent section and, most fun of all, responded in the no responses section. I don't go in the new users section because I'm old!!
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
Your summary and summation of the myLot is absolutely spot on! Being Old is the only thing i would question
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
@Inlemay Well I can hardly be described as new!!
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
you have been away for a while - welcome back
The 'interesting' is supposed to be based on your tags - for instance I did a post about 1940s toys a couple of months ago, and the top 4 in my list are about toys. Sheesh - I'm not really interested in toys as such. I'm thinking of going back and removing that tag.
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
i have now understood the Interesting posts - i dont think i am going to tag anymore of my posts
• Midland, Michigan
@Inlemay I'll continue tagging my posts as it will help me find them later when I want them in a pinch.
@Inlemay I'm thinking about not doing it either, or at least only leaving them there for a couple of days.
@owlwings (39872)
• Cambridge, England
My personal preference is the Most Recent page and I have this set as one of my Home Pages in my browser, so that is the one that comes up by default when I open the browser. Interesting is driven by the tags that you have used most often in your discussions. If you don't use tags at all or haven't used them particularly descriptively, the page is likely to show some rather odd and random discussions. Hot is also a little difficult for many to understand. The official description (slightly modified so that non-programmers can understand it) is that it is ordered by the number of responses a post has had (most at the top), then by the date it was created on - (with the most recent first). It may only include posts from the last 24 hours but I haven't checked to confirm that recently. Top Rated lists those topics which have received the most "Likes" overall. Again, it might be limited to discussions posted more recently. It is sometimes worth looking at the "New Users" and "No Response" pages if you are looking for something to respond to. Admin told us some time ago that there is some advantage in responding to new users:
Hey myLotters! As a lot of you know, I'm the bug guy. I'm definitely an introvert and don't post much. I like reading what others post and chime in when...
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
Interesting is rarely interesting and is built for each user on the basis of the tags they have used. This is one reason I removed most of my tags to avoid them.
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
You have a great idea there - therefore i shall not use tags anymore - just the ones that have relevance to good reads
@Inlemay @boingboing Surely if you use tags your posts will pop up on other people's 'interesting' column inviting more interaction with your own posts.
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
@JudyEv then I might annoy others as much as the 'interesting' posts annoy me.
@mom210 (6771)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I have seen those options, but never investigated them. It would be interesting to find out how they decide what is interesting. But I guess that is subject to opinion. What one person finding interesting another may not. maybe hot or new would be more interesting areas. who knows.
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
well it seems its not only me - most people feel the same, so now I shall look at the new releases and the No Response as they would interest me the most. And of course my favorite people as well
@mom210 (6771)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Inlemay categorys might be nice here someday an area for people writing about sports and so on like that. I hope you find something good, don't forget to share it if you do.
I guess that I am not too picky.
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
thats your pleasure - this only happens when i have too much time on my hands
I usually try them all - most recent first, then no responses, new users then hot. I might go to 'People' then discussions but sometimes it seems I might as well go and do some housework and come back in an hour or two.
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
I might just stick to what @owlwings has suggested - to have Most Recent Bookmarked, that way I wont miss any new posts.
• Midland, Michigan
Usually I just stick to those commenting on my posts and then visit with friends not seen in a while. Once in a while, I'll look at the most recent and about twice did I do any exploring. Sometimes I look for ones with no comments, but I've found that many belong to a person that writes more than anyone else here.
lol was that my 13 post or an inspired spinoff